Had to kill a rattle snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A neighbor called said she had a snake on her step. Went over there hoping to shoo off a gopher snake.

Nope a speckled rattle snake! I feel guilty but it understand that you can't have rattlesnakes around your house. Plus this family runs a daycare.

I feel that he was just a dumb animal that didn't deserve to die. But we don't need any children bit either.

Part of living where we live. A week after we moved in wife found a 10" diamondback on the front step beside the door. She would have let it go on it's way but there's a 4 year old next door. She called the fire department and they happily came and got it. Said the little one's bite can be worse. Won't have them as the sub-division fills in. Also won't have the Pronghorns eating greens across the street.

Frankly would rather have that then rodents... I can't imagine it is the only one around either.

Is the daycare legit? If so, then I'd think they would have a pro support keeping undesirable things away.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Frankly would rather have that then rodents... I can't imagine it is the only one around either.

Is the daycare legit? If so, then I'd think they would have a pro support keeping undesirable things away.
ya its legit but we live out in the desert. There are so many critters around you can't ever get them under control.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I get what you mean , Around here we have copper heads and black snakes and some corn snakes. I love having the black snakes around, i won't kill anything non-venomous.

Copperheads have to go. Way out away from the house i don't care. But copperheads near the house begats more copperheads. I've had one dog bitten in the past. So if they are within 1000ft of the house I'll kill them.

I take it you had grilled rattler for supper?

On one of our road trips years ago we stopped at the Willy’s Well rest stop off the freeway near Needles? Anyway there was a sign outside of the bathrooms saying to beware of rattlesnakes. The wife was nervous but I told her the next rest stop was hours away.

It was about 110 and no shade.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
A neighbor called said she had a snake on her step. Went over there hoping to shoo off a gopher snake.

Nope a speckled rattle snake! I feel guilty but it understand that you can't have rattlesnakes around your house. Plus this family runs a daycare.

I feel that he was just a dumb animal that didn't deserve to die. But we don't need any children bit either.

They come around the camp once and a while … my rule of thumb is those on the road and general land mass get left alone …a buzz tail I find by the front door should of stayed in those other places …

I have some overgrown acreage out here and I won't hesitate to kill any snake. If there is a rodent problem I can deal with it in safer ways. I have absolutely no need for snakes and I don't feel bad for them. They're mean spirited and would be just as happy to kill me. Kind of like wasps.

It can be hard to identify a "good" snake from a "bad" one. When in doubt, it has to go. Even the supposed "good" ones will give you a nasty painful bite.

I will never get them all, but I MUST thin the heard.

No such thing as a good snake. They are shot, beaten, stomped, burned, whatever and all get their head cut off and hung out on the fence.

Pretty darn easy to differentiate the venomous ones from the harmless ones. I leave the harmless ones alone. The copperheads and coral snakes die a violent death.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Pretty darn easy to differentiate the venomous ones from the harmless ones.

around here, if it's a snake, then it will most certainly be able to kill you.
* Tiger Snakes
* Brown Snakes
* King Brown
* Copperhead
* Red Bellied Black (although these clot, and you tend to lose parts rather than die)...these eat all of the above.

I disagree. Everywhere is different and not everybody is a snake expert. A lot of them look very much alike. The "harmless" ones often look like the bad ones on purpose - they're trying to trick you. Even if they are not venomous they will often give you a nasty painful bite.

There is really no need for the "harmless" snakes to be around anymore than the bad ones. It's like killing a mouse. They're pests, whether dangerous or not. People will try to argue they kill rodents or something else ridiculous - we have much better ways of dealing with rodents than snakes.

As far as I'm concerned the world would be better off if they all went extinct.

Originally Posted By: OilFilters

I disagree. Everywhere is different and not everybody is a snake expert. A lot of them look very much alike. The "harmless" ones often look like the bad ones on purpose - they're trying to trick you. Even if they are not venomous they will often give you a nasty painful bite.

There is really no need for the "harmless" snakes to be around anymore than the bad ones. It's like killing a mouse. They're pests, whether dangerous or not. People will try to argue they kill rodents or something else ridiculous - we have much better ways of dealing with rodents than snakes.

Don’t they have a large non poisonous snake in Florida these days …and since they have no fangs, no worries …

Originally Posted By: OilFilters

Ran over a big one this morning on my bicycle. Probably a King Ratsnake (Elaphe carinata) since they are pretty common (including on menus) and go to about 2.5 metres. I was taking pictures around some abandoned fish farm ponds as ground truth for a student remote sensing exercise, and the area is pretty undisturbed, so the beast maybe was off-guard.

Anyway it didn't move quick enough, and I didn't brake quick enough either.

It took off into the undergrowth pretty fast and I didn't manage to get a picture. Hope that didn't kill it but I imagine it might.

They mostly eat snakes. Would that confuse your mass-extermination policy at all?

I suppose not.

Copperheads are my biggest problem here. I've learned to be extra cautious at this time of year. My neighbor killed a 3' rattler last week in his tool shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back