Gumout/Regain aditive fouling plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

I'm having an issue with my V-8 engine that my panel indicates my no.5 cylinder has misfired. This occured right after I had a service and as a maintenance precaution I always add a bottle of Gunout/Regain fuel cleaner to my gas tank. Question could this additive cause my spark plug/cylinder to misfire??????

I'm wondering if I should drop this product in the future and go back to adding Redline SL-1 or Techron to my gas tank as a replacement.

Durango

Your barking up the wrong tree! Gumout is not the problem, what type of service was done on the vehicle?

I doubt it, it could be a bad plug or coil pack. Have you found the issue causing the misfire?

I had this issue in a 97 CVhevy pickup with a 350 after using Redline SL1. Turned out some of the injectors had clogged up with an organic "sand" that would only dissolve in acetone or MEK. Whatever it was, the SL1 knocked it loose and caused the problem.

Last edited:
Hi you all,

On another posting I had asked the same question and got basically the same answer which was the spark plugs and the coil packs. Since I too believe this can be the problem I'll take it in to my mechanic and have the issue worked on. I just thought I toss the additive issue out there cuz that's how it really happened.

I just had my 85K service on my truck and had tossed in a bottle of Regaine additive to the gasoline like I always do and in about my engine trouble light was activated.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back