GTX vs VWB

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's everyone's opinion on which one of these is a better oil, I'm debating on if I should go with castrol gtx or valvoline white bottle for the next change in the blazer

They're very similar. If both were free, I'd be inclined to take GTX. If VWB was .25 cents less than GTX, I'd buy VWB.

Buy the cheaper of the two.

I like em both,but that doesnt help your decision. Why not try a run of GTX this time, then VWB next oci? Maybe the Blazer will prefer one over the other,who knows.

Last edited:
VWB , same reason. The only castrol ive liked so far in my vehicles has been 0w30 GC. VWB seems to be running very smooth in my Acura so far though and the engine looks nice and clean through the filler hole.

These were always my two dinos of choice. I'd always use either one,depending on my mood
smile.gif

GTX tends to be thicker starting off and has more additives. VWB is thinner starting off and less additives. If price were the same GTX but almost always GTX is the most expensive conventional around here normal everyday price. If the $$$ is the same GTX, buy either on sale and you will be happy.

I've moved away from both, just because of FAR oils. otherwise i would probably lean towards Vavoline.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
GTX tends to be thicker starting off and has more additives. VWB is thinner starting off and less additives. If price were the same GTX but almost always GTX is the most expensive conventional around here normal everyday price. If the $$$ is the same GTX, buy either on sale and you will be happy.

I wouldn't say gtx has more additives. In the metallic varieties they're nearly identical.

Also I will add that I have done more research on the subject and from the latest VOA'S of both VWB and GTX went from being similar in additive content to close to identical. GTX has close to 7-9% more calcium but all other additives are almost identical and viscosity is almost identical on some test, some of the test I have seen that VWB has a higher in initial viscosity. With all the data I have seen since November 2011, both Virgin oils samples are so close if you did not know which oil your were sampling you would mistake VWB with GTX and GTX with VWB. So unless you had loyalty to one company or another that would be the reason to buy one not the other or if you buy how I buy it would be based on price. As with any named brand PCMO vs another PCMO the end results would be so close to identical your engine would not know the difference in its lifetime.

I've always used Castrol GTX and VWB if that were unavailable. So, I'm really a Castrol fan I guess, but I must report that between GTX and VWB in my current vehicle, consumption has been significantly less with fills of valvoline. I intend to continue experimentation, however!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back