GTX Magnatec Is Back

For years I used GTX back in the late 90s to early 00s and then at some point switched to M1... next I went with PP when it became the big thing here. I haven't really used Castrol in forever and been wanting to use it again. The car that the Magnatec is in has mostly been sitting because I need to swap the transmission as it's been making noise ever since I purchased it but has progressively gotten worse. With it being parked so much it should really put those molecules to work.

Magnatec was available in Australia before the US, and now I wonder if it remained afterwards. They even got it in a 10w40 I don't think we did here. However, with the way marketing and distribution goes, I can not confirm or deny if it was the same product.

Maybe called Magnatec Stop Start or something like that?
I did have 10w40 but it was SS flavor.

Magnatec was awesome. I used it long before I knew about this sight. It was popular in the Nissan world because it quietened down the noisy VQ engines. It was also cheap and always available at walmart.

After they didn't have it anymore my local walmart put Edge in its place. I figured this must be the new and improved. Nope - valvetrain rattled like a gasoline powered washing machine.

I did recently pour 5w-40 Edge Euro car in my VQ40, and it seems to be pretty quiet - so maybe the 5w-30 edge was just too thin or something?

Not sure why they would kill off a brand with a loyal following. Even if they sold it online I think many would have still purchased it.

Magnatec was awesome. I used it long before I knew about this sight. It was popular in the Nissan world because it quietened down the noisy VQ engines. It was also cheap and always available at walmart.

After they didn't have it anymore my local walmart put Edge in its place. I figured this must be the new and improved. Nope - valvetrain rattled like a gasoline powered washing machine.

I did recently pour 5w-40 Edge Euro car in my VQ40, and it seems to be pretty quiet - so maybe the 5w-30 edge was just too thin or something?

Not sure why they would kill off a brand with a loyal following. Even if they sold it online I think many would have still purchased it.
On their website they show Castrol Edge 5w30 at only 1 store in my entire area, you can however find the Euro A3/B4 SL in the others.

I haven't tried the Magnatec in my 5.3 as I'm still using my stash of RGT but it does tick if I don't drive for a few days or a week but it has been cold as of late.

Idk apparently it got rebranded

Yeah, Magnatec became GTX Full Synthetic in the silver jug. They claim it has the polar molecules that Magnatec had, and is the same thing. Many on here are sceptical.
The guy at the help desk yesterday was asked exactly that.. He was all over the place with his answer.
He never would say what has changed and really didn't know the differences... I got nowhere with him.

i found the people at the phone desk that answers calls either know little about oil or will not give a answer,,ask for the engineering department,then a assistant formulator, it can work,,then you may get a straight answer.

I'd like to try the GTX FS in the silver bottle but Walmart doesn't even list it anymore and also it's way overpriced on Amazon. If it was sub $20 up to $23 or even $24 then maybe I'd consider it, imo needs to be priced in line with all the other basic synthetics. I just checked yesterday and they were running a special on the QS Ultimate for a few dollars off if you purchase online that is and only 5w30 for $18.82 but shows normally $21.60 ... I don't understand it they have the Ultimate and FS both priced pretty much the same.

1708521845882.jpg

I wonder if GTX FS has been discontinued, both Walmart & Advance don't even list it on their websites, AutoZone is currently running two oil change specials featuring it, $32.99 w/ STP Extended life filter or $37.99 same deal but you get to add 1 qt.... honestly when calculating it out the 5 qt + filter deal is the cheaper option if you don't need the extra quart.

Really it all depends how you look at it, you're either getting the filter for free or you are paying what you should be for the oil and then also the filter. I'd be willing to do this so I can at least try it out but then I already have filters in abundance.

I'd like to try the GTX FS in the silver bottle but Walmart doesn't even list it anymore and also it's way overpriced on Amazon. If it was sub $20 up to $23 or even $24 then maybe I'd consider it, imo needs to be priced in line with all the other basic synthetics. I just checked yesterday and they were running a special on the QS Ultimate for a few dollars off if you purchase online that is and only 5w30 for $18.82 but shows normally $21.60 ... I don't understand it they have the Ultimate and FS both priced pretty much the same.
Yeah Castrol pricing is crazy rn

Magnatec was available in Australia before the US, and now I wonder if it remained afterwards. They even got it in a 10w40 I don't think we did here. However, with the way marketing and distribution goes, I can not confirm or deny if it was the same product.

Maybe called Magnatec Stop Start or something like that?
IMG_6458.jpg
IMG_6459.jpg
IMG_6460.jpg
IMG_6461.jpg

Yes, we in Australia still get the full range of Magnatec

The direct response....remember the price and other things. I won't point it out though..

Feb 22, 2024 10:55 AM
All of our Castrol inventory has been manufactured within the past year. We are one of the largest Castrol distributors in the nation.That being said, Castrol dropped the Magnatec branding from their GTX Full Synthetic oil, while keeping the same part number. That being said, anything that Castrol still has listed as "Magnatec" will be sent as "Castrol GTX Full Synthetic

The direct response....remember the price and other things. I won't point it out though..

Feb 22, 2024 10:55 AM
All of our Castrol inventory has been manufactured within the past year. We are one of the largest Castrol distributors in the nation.That being said, Castrol dropped the Magnatec branding from their GTX Full Synthetic oil, while keeping the same part number. That being said, anything that Castrol still has listed as "Magnatec" will be sent as "Castrol GTX Full Synthetic

Well there we have it.

If they used the same part number, now I wonder if the silver bottle GTX was still actually Magnatec. Rats, I missed my chance, silver bottle is disappearing as well.

Back