Grizzly Bear Paw ...Yikes!

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
grizzly paw.jpg

That seems very large for a grizzly paw. Looks more like a Kodiak paw. The polar bear has the largest paw.

Over the years, I've seen quite few grizzly bears fishing in Alaska ... 3 times was close enough to get a sweaty palms.

one time I was fishing with my wife and this bear got closer and closer till he smelled us or something and then crossed the river. I told my wife don't run and we started to make noise and slowly back off.

another time, I was fishing alone and a smaller grizzly bear was following me as I was walking down a creek but stayed on the other side of the creek and never crossed. I told the story to a local fishing store owner and he knew the bear and said yeah, he is just a curious young male and a few reports of him doing that! lol :oops::alien:

they typically avoid people unless you get unlucky and in between the mama bear (sow) and the cubs.

Have you guys watched The Grizzly Man with Timothy Threadwell? If not, you should watch it.
He camped near the bears for months but kind of stayed too long when the food was getting scarce and an old grizzly that was having a hard time finding food attacked him and his girl friend. It was a neat story but a very sad ending.

A Kodiak is a grizzly.

From Alaska Department of Fish and Game:
  • Kodiak bears are a unique subspecies of the brown or grizzly bear (Ursus arctos middendorffi). They live exclusively on the islands in the Kodiak Archipelago and have been isolated from other bears for about 12,000 years.
  • Kodiak bears are the largest bears in the world. A large male can stand over 10' tall when on his hind legs, and 5' when on all four legs. They weigh up to 1,500 pounds. Females are about 20% smaller, and 30% lighter than males.

I'll rephrase what I previously said. Based on its enormous size, this does not look to.me like just any grizzly's paw but rather like a Kodiak's paw.

Now I'm going to have Kodiak cakes with raspberry jam.

Last edited:
Back