Bearing Grease

What's the difference? Automotive wheel bearing grease (The kind I used to pack my TR-4's wheel bearings with) or bicycle bearing grease? Wonder what they used back in the 50's at the factory.

The ability to handle the heat from braking systems , the pressure encountered with automotive applications and the much higher speed encountered.

Bicycle grease belongs with a bicycle.

Last edited:
I doubt the difference in greases is not that great for bicycles, but there is one application where it may not be suited... the steering column. These bearings don't see full rotation, and are subject to micromotion, just like universal joints. Ideally, for this application you want a thin grease, like a Grade 1. The thin grease has better reflow properties where the rollers push it aside.

You don't need a bicycle specific grease, but you need to use a grease of appropriate viscosity. Preferably, one with water resistance, extreme pressure additives, and a tackifier agent is useful.

I use Schaeffer's 221, NLGI #1 or #2 depending on the application, whether cars or bikes or anything else. Using this grease, I've got bicycle bearings with 20k miles on them that still spin butter smooth under load and look like new. You should get similar results with any high quality grease.

Not all greases are miscible, so don't mix them. If you change greases, you should thoroughly clean the bearings.

There is lots of good bicycle grease. Regular white lithium works well. Maxima makes a good grease for bikes. Finish Line. Kubler. I’m liking a grease from the UK distributed by Unior. I prefer white grease but that’s me. I honestly don’t think bicycles are very demanding of grease.

Good stuff.

image.jpg

I've just used the marine wheel bearing grease that I've always used on my trailers. I figure, Lance never had anything to fear from me, a bit extra of drag was the least of my worries. One less thing on the shelf. [Although I do buy "fancy" chain lube.]

What did they use in the 1950's? no idea but I bet it in no way compares to today.'s greases

i would think a polyurea grease would be best ,nlgi-2,,used in small electric motor bearings,,just make sure to clean out old grease

Hi Folks,

Kestas, thanks for the comments about specific needs for headset grease.

I work some with kids and bikes so am currently using low-toxicity Crystal Grease:
https://www.whitelightningco.com/products/grease/crystal-grease
It's kinda pricey.
Any suggestions for other low-toxicity greases and/or oils, at lower cost?

Thanks and good health, Weogo
Phillips omniguard is what I would dye and re-sell as a low toxicity bicycle grease. Calcium sulfonate with a borate ester.

What's the difference? Automotive wheel bearing grease (The kind I used to pack my TR-4's wheel bearings with) or bicycle bearing grease? Wonder what they used back in the 50's at the factory.

Wheel bearing grease for cars is often lithium based, but a bicycle is likely better served with a calcium sulfonate grease. water resistance, EP properties and friction reduction.

make some speed calculations (rpm vs diameter) to see what base oil viscosities are appropriate

Cornucopia of good choices out there, almost hard to pick a BAD bicycle grease. I've found great success using automotive bearing grease but stay away from moly- just not needed and messy. I like Super-Lube synthetic grease. If you want to go bike specific I see now reason to look further than Phil Wood.

Honestly, I just wish NLGI #1 greases were easier to source. I'd use that super-lube in a #1 for all types of stuff. Maybe even experiment with a #0 for some things/.

Back