Uniroyal Tiger paw

I have seen that in the past and enjoyed it. I also have an older Century with a Buick 3300 and it is like a different (better) car.
I had some odd OEM Goodyear 70 series tires that were used on Caprices and Eldorado touring coupes new. That is one of the reasons I won't buy Goodyear either (besides the shameful G159 debacle).

I didn't even know these tires were still made. They must be doing something right.
I used them on my 86 cutlass and on an 87 Trans Am when I was I high school.

The current Tiger Paw offered by Uniroyal is the Tiger Paw Touring A/S, which was released in 2019. This replaced the Tiger Paw Touring and is a completely different tire. I currently have the Tiger Paw Touring A/S on my CR-V and would buy them again if the price was right. I have no complaints or issues to speak of. They’re wearing well and have better winter traction than the Bridgestones they replaced.

I had the previous generation Tiger Paw Touring on another car and while those were ok for the price, the Touring A/S is a huge improvement.

Pictures of tread I took at Walmart when the new UNIROYAL Tiger Paw A/S became available at their tire center . Includes pictures of the original as well ( comparison of tread ) .

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts:

OE tires are totally different than what you buy at the local tire shop. That means that P195/75R14 from that Buick is a unique animal and not like other tires Uniroyal produced at the time.

In 1979, Continental bought Uniroyal's European operations. That doesn't apply here, but it is worth mentioning for our European viewers. The brand still exists there.

I remember when K-mart used to sell that brand in the early 90's. I used to see them on Astrovans and GMC Safaris...back in the day the sidewalls had the raised white lettering so you couldn't miss it.

Had them on my Tercel for years. Always got me home in whatever garbage winter in SW Missouri threw at me. Only problem I had is they don’t live long in gravel. I have MTs on it now to see how they do. If I ever have to commute again I’ll definitely buy another set.

For a little more confusion, apparently there is an even newer version of this tire. While browsing I came across 2 different versions Tiger Paw Touring A/S and a Tiger Paw Touring AS 'DT'. After chatting with a Uniroyal agent the DT is a newer tread design, and the other ones were discontinued in 2020. That helps explain why WM had both tires listed but the DT was higher priced. I noticed today the plain AS tire is now out of stock in my size so it would seem like a clearance item.

Lots of Uniroyal tires are simply discontinued older models of Michelin tires. I've had great experience with Uniroyal, and would buy any day without a second thought.

"In 1990, Uniroyal was acquired by French tire maker Michelin and ceased to exist as a separate business. Today around 1,000 workers in the U.S. remain employed by Michelin to make its Uniroyal brand products."

Can you give some examples of tires that are old Michelin designs?

Nowadays Uniroyal seem to be made in China, so Michelin are not made in the same factories.

Nowadays Uniroyal seem to be made in China, so Michelin are not made in the same factories.

Agree that they don’t seem to be old Michelin designs, but they’re actually made in Indonesia.

For a little more confusion, apparently there is an even newer version of this tire. While browsing I came across 2 different versions Tiger Paw Touring A/S and a Tiger Paw Touring AS 'DT'. After chatting with a Uniroyal agent the DT is a newer tread design, and the other ones were discontinued in 2020...
This is the first I have heard of what you mention of a newer version / design so the comment prompted me to go outside and check date codes. My TP Touring A/S were installed in August of 2021 and the date code on the tire sidewall was also that same year of 2021.

I have noted that CR has included them (TP Touring A/S) in one of their tire reviews. I believe it was earlier this year but don't have it in front of me. If I remember correctly, the only thing they had questioned was the tire's fuel economy.

I didn't follow that topic close enough to remember all the names and specs by heart, but I'm sure reaching out to Uniroyal or Michelin could provide you more info than I can give you now.

What I've been told by those who know more than I do - Michelin is constantly innovating, but some of its regularly discontinued models are still good enough to be competitive on the lower tier market. So those designs trickle down to Uniroyal (and few other smaller tire manufacturers whose names I don't remember now) and are produced under those brands. To be clear: it is not old Michelin tires under Uniroyal name, but Michelin designs/blueprints/patents/etc, that are given to Uniroyal, and then Uniroyal produces those tires with more budget-friendly compounds and such. An ex-colleague worked for Michelin for 25-30 years, and that's how he explained it to me.

This is the first I have heard of what you mention of a newer version / design so the comment prompted me to go outside and check date codes. My TP Touring A/S were installed in August of 2021 and the date code on the tire sidewall was also that same year of 2021.

I have noted that CR has included them (TP Touring A/S) in one of their tire reviews. I believe it was earlier this year but don't have it in front of me. If I remember correctly, the only thing they had questioned was the tire's fuel economy.
These tires were new on a used vehicle I bought. I saw their test about the mpg, but have not had other tires to compare it too. The road noise isn’t bad, but it’s an economy car though.

I have a different take on this.

When Michelin acquired Uniroyal-Goodrich, they more or less left the factories alone, because the equipment used to make Michelin tires was very different. That continues to this day. Rubber processing equipment is very expensive so they try to make it last a long time. Typically they replace the factory, not the equipment.

Because of the unique way Michelin builds tires, Michelin brand tires are made in Michelin plants, and Uniroyals and Goodrich's are made in the old Uniroyal and Goodrich factories (and by others). No Michelins are built in the Uniroyal/Goodrich factories and no Uniroyal/Goodrich's are built in Michelin factories.

I had a set of Tiger Paws on my wife's Mazda 5 and they were just acceptable. Now she has a set Of Falken Sincera tires and they are wearing great and have great traction.

The current Tiger Paw offered by Uniroyal is the Tiger Paw Touring A/S, which was released in 2019. This replaced the Tiger Paw Touring and is a completely different tire. I currently have the Tiger Paw Touring A/S on my CR-V and would buy them again if the price was right. I have no complaints or issues to speak of. They’re wearing well and have better winter traction than the Bridgestones they replaced.

I had the previous generation Tiger Paw Touring on another car and while those were ok for the price, the Touring A/S is a huge improvement.

The original Tiger Paw were dropped and replaced with the Tiger Paw A/S . Better tread design / pattern with deep sipes .

Go here ( page 2 ) for pictures of the Original and A/S to compare .

Last edited:
Back