New tread pattern and deep siping of UNIROYAL Tiger Paw Touring A/S...

IMG_6841.JPG
IMG_6843.JPG
IMG_6841.JPG
IMG_6843.JPG
IMG_6846.JPG
IMG_6844.JPG
IMG_6845.JPG
IMG_6847.JPG
IMG_6848.JPG

News of introduction ,

Last edited:
Those would be perfect if they made a 14" thin whitewall, for our '65 4-4-2.
I put some raised white letter Firehawks on and they just don't look right.

Edit... I just checked the link... Maybe they do!

Those would be perfect if they made a 14" thin whitewall, for our '65 4-4-2.
I put some raised white letter Firehawks on and they just don't look right.

Edit... I just checked the link... Maybe they do!
I believe the original tires on your 442 were about 27" tall (the aspect ratio back then would be about an 82 series). The closest thing available in a modern, non-specialty classic car tire that is closest to that height would be a 215/75r14 or a 225/70r14.

Here is one of the few 215/75r14 "mainstream" whitewall choices left:

Hankook 215/75R14 WSW

The Uniroyals in a 205/75r14 or 215/70r14 will be about 26" tall (which looks like they are the tallest 14 inch tires they offer in that style).

I believe the original tires on your 442 were about 27" tall (the aspect ratio back then would be about an 82 series). The closest thing available in a modern, non-specialty classic car tire that is closest to that height would be a 215/75r14 or a 225/70r14.

Here is one of the few 215/75r14 "mainstream" whitewall choices left:

Hankook 215/75R14 WSW

The Uniroyals in a 205/75r14 or 215/70r14 will be about 26" tall (which looks like they are the tallest 14 inch tires they offer in that style).
The original tires were 7.75x14 and yes, they were pretty tall. I think the wheels are 14x6. F70x14 was the common size replacement tire.
Our car is original, 97K miles. Bought by my wife's father. Heavy car with drum brakes and single master cylinder!
The body cushins are crushed, so it sits a little lower which is not a bad thing.
215x70 might be good. I do not want a tall tire. Maybe 235x60.
I don't like the raised white tire look on the dog dish hubcap tires.

I appreciate your help.
1630884802418.png

I believe these did pretty poorly in Consumer Reports' latest round of tire testing. Though I am beginning to have some doubts about their methodology, the objective tests like the skid pad and braking distance should be in the ballpark.

I'm surprised because it looks like a lot of engineering went into the tire, especially in the manufacturing process.

You're likely referring to the previous Tiger Paw Touring posted below . They're now the Tiger Paw Touring A/S ( pictured above at Walmart ) . The Touring A/S have an 65,000 mile warranty for the V-rated and 75,000 for the H-rated .

IMG_6849.JPG

Last edited:
These tires certainly looked attractive to me but I found out that my size is made in Taiwan so I’ll pass.
Taiwan has been making pushbike and motorbike tires and tubes for a while, Toyo has a joint venture in China with Taiwan’s Cheng Shin Tire(whose Maxxis brand of car/motorcycle/bicycle tires has been sold here for a while). Kenda also has been making tires for decades, and is now a OE-installed spare tire for Honda and Toyota. Not my first choice but I wouldn’t hesitate to install one if need be.

I bought some Nankang tires for my daughters Escape. Excellent tire. For the price? Outstanding. Taiwan make quality tires, tools, electronic parts, computer chips...and more.
I guess I should expand on my logic. In my size, US made General Altimax RT43s (which have served me very well in the past) were $147 while these Taiwanese made Uniroyal (with no reviews yet) were $138. So by spending $36 more for a set of four, I’d be supporting US jobs and getting a product that I know I have had good experience with vs going into the unknown.

Hopefully these are an improvement over the last generation of Tiger Paw which became unbearably loud at half wear. If so, I would consider them.

You're likely referring to the previous Tiger Paw Touring posted below . They're now the Tiger Paw Touring A/S ( pictured above at Walmart ) . The Touring A/S have an 65,000 mile warranty for the V-rated and 75,000 for the H-rated .

View attachment 70024
No, consumer reports has already released their tests for the A/S. It's already almost two years old after all.

It's worth noting that CR increased the standards for their ratings this year, so "Fair" ratings are roughly equivalent to Good on the last round of tests and so on. (The mileage test also seems to be more realistic.) Having said that, the relative performance of the tires isn't affected by the stricter ratings.

Last edited:
The tire pictured above by C.R. is the Tiger Paw Touring , not the A/S introduced in 2019 .

I guess I should expand on my logic. In my size, US made General Altimax RT43s (which have served me very well in the past) were $147 while these Taiwanese made Uniroyal (with no reviews yet) were $138. So by spending $36 more for a set of four, I’d be supporting US jobs and getting a product that I know I have had good experience with vs going into the unknown.
Your example did not address the Nankang tires at all though. Nankang SP-9 Cross Sport are only $74 each in OP's size, Uniroyal are $96 each, and General RT-43 are $108 each. That's a savings of $136 a set for buying Nankang, in 205/55R60. To use your example, given that Nankang SP-9 are about 22% cheaper than that Uniroyal tire, it would estimate them roughly $107 each in your size, if available. That means you would save about $160 for a set of the Nankang SP-9 versus the General tires. And the Nankangs have plenty of reviews and 93% recommend them on the Discount Tire website. I agree with you that the Uniroyal seem overpriced.
51ycSB6ZiAL.jpg

Nankang SP-9 Cross-Sport​

The tire pictured above by C.R. is the Tiger Paw Touring , not the A/S introduced in 2019 .
Yes, the one in your picture is (not sure what that's supposed to prove), but the one on the actual Consumer Reports' webpage is the new tire. It clearly has the new tread with the squiggly sipes, besides being listed as the A/S by CR.

Back