@Pablo getting some new neighbors: North Cascade Grizzly reintroduction starting soon

You will hear plenty of crying, just like the Wolf re-introduction in Wyoming a while back. There is a loud and aggressive lobby group of hunters that want anything eliminated that competes with their big game aspirations. These "sportsmen" want ever larger winter fed and coddled deer/elk/antelope populations that are continually enhanced with taxpayer money. They also want no restrictions on predators such as coyotes, mountain lions, wolves. I want a balanced ecosystem in a wilderness area of pack in and pack out on foot. Fair is fair. I wouldn't be averse to Bow only year around or iron sights only. Put some fairness in the equation. Level the playing field. No bag limit of predators but the only weapon's allowed are a club and a knife. Outlaw the use of dogs/baiting to tree a bear/cat for a difficult shot of 30 feet with your multi-thousand dollar weapon with optics. Fills me with pride thinking of the danger avoided hunting these ravenous beasts. Reliving the hunt around the fire just outside my quarter million dollar toter-home and fleet of ATV's. Makes me yearn for the days of the mass buffalo hunts. Those brave hunter/ecologists of yore braving the harshness of a passenger train window as a rifle rest to harvest what is rightfully yours.
Do you feel better now Lord?

I did a search this morning on Nextdoor for people posting black bear sightings around me and it's amazing how often they get posted.

I can understand the publics concerns about repopulating grizzlies in the North Cascades. They are certainly fearsome creatures and not to be taken lightly. If I was a livestock rancher near the affected areas, I would certainly be concerned. I used to backpack a bit where these animals are being placed. Can't imagine how frightening it would be to run into one on the trail. But all that being said, I personally think that having a wild ecosystem as close to how it was before man's encroachment, would make our experiences in the wild all that much more interesting. Just my opinion.

I live 1 mile off I-5, about 50 miles north of Seattle. I have lived here since 2016. I did not know much about the wildlife around the house. Within the last 1 1/2yrs the neighbor has had a black bear show up on his cam, as well as coyotes. I saw a bobcat one day. I also see bear poop in the yard when walking the yard.

About a year ago I saw two baby coyotes in the yard while going to my car for work. I was waiting for traffic on the main road to the freeway one day. As I looked to the left, then right, looked left again and saw a big cougar jump the guardrail and prance across the road. He was headed right into our neighborhood. I told the neighbor. I figured they might think I’m making it up.

A day later the neighbor got the cougar on his cam. Last cougar sighting in my neighborhood was at least 10 yrs. ago.

We have black bear in New Jersey. Over the years, scheduling legal bear hunts has made for squawky arguments.
A bear attempting a food break-in (school cafeteria) 1.7 miles from me is as close as I've ever been.
I suggest preceding any hunt with a 3 day Child Maul, if asked.

I honestly wonder if black bear could survive where grizzlies do.....or if they're like red / black / grey squirrels?
You'll see only one kind at a time. You never see 'em together.

Back