Green oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read somewhere (perhaps here) that Valvoline NexGen oil is not selling too well. I am by no means a tree-hugger, but anything we can do to help the enviornment and cut dependence on foreign oil is a plus.

I hope that the NexGen and G.E.T. oil "experiments" don't fail. If I were inclined to use non-synthetic oils, I would give it a try. The only thing keeping me from using the G.E.T. oil is the price.

Perhaps other manufacturers will see the value of using recycled/partially recycled oils

Valvoline is continuing to expand their NextGen offerings. Last week I saw a NextGen version of their Premium Blue diesel oil.

IMO...the future is in recycled motor oils.

There might come a time, in the not too distant future, where recycled will be the only option available for motor oils.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO...the future is in recycled motor oils.

There might come a time, in the not too distant future, where recycled will be the only option available for motor oils.

Either that, or "un-recycled" will carry a price premium.

If it makes business sense they should just mix and in and not say anything.

I'm not getting my knickers in a twist worry about source of the basestocks. That is why it is called "refining...."

Last edited:
I think they are getting the jump on the competition by going the recycled way.Its going to be a long time (and the oil will have to cost less too),before people get used to it but one of these days they will have very little choice.Its the other guys like Mobil,Amalie,Conoco,Sopus that will have to play catch up in the future in the uncharted territory that other companies pioneered.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Last week I saw a NextGen version of their Premium Blue diesel oil.

News to me, but I looked it up and along with that they have Nexgen All Fleet Plus or something like that.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

I'm not getting my knickers in a twist worry about source of the basestocks. That is why it is called "refining...."

Agreed. Considering the oil companies can never satisfy all customers (or their competition) anyhow with respect to base stock composition, they should just do it if it's viable, as you say. If it meets, say, SN/GF-5 standards (and isn't being pushed as a "full synthetic" with the corresponding price premium), who really cares whether it's recycled or not?

I do understand, though, that they want to get consumer recognition for the "green" aspect. That's fine, provided it doesn't bite them in the behind because of people's prejudices against recycled oil. Also, if costs are different (either cheaper or more expensive), then it makes sense to differentiate the product.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Can you imagine the scandal that would erupt if they mixed in recycled base stock, and didn't advertise it?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Can you imagine the scandal that would erupt if they mixed in recycled base stock, and didn't advertise it?

It would be a mess, I'm sure, but no different than the nonsense that erupted over Group III synthetics. We weathered that one.

You gotta understand that the average (read: "put gas in car, press pedal and turn wheel, car goes..) motorist is repulsed by recycled oil. I ain't putting that black crud in my car, is what they think. Even they wouldn't know oil from coolant...

I`d be all over GET if they`d hurry up and come out with some non-CAFE weights,which they told me they were in an email.

Valvoline NexGen and g e t are great oils and I do hope they catch on more...something tells me that they will once they get Jiffy lube and other quiclubes and dealers on board.

if another brand that wasn't horribly overpriced came out with one i would buy it in a heartbeat. GET for $25? are you kidding me!?

I was using NextGen as well as GET with the rebates in my previous '01 Mustang V6.

However, our new 2012 Civic requires 0w20 and as far as I know there is not a "Green" oil for this car and I have purchased M1 0w20 AFE for its first change.

The 1999 Civic that I still drive calls for 5w30 and I have 2 5qt jugs of GET and 3 quarts of SynMaxLife to use before I can switch to NextGen in it. However, with the car just hitting 200k miles I don't know how many more oil changes I have left in it.

My sister's car which is an '07 Civic could use the 5w20 NextGen but I have been using Mobil Super Syn 0w20 in it. My mom's 2006 Mazda 6 V6 has been fed Syntec 5w20 since day 1 and she doesn't want to budge from it.

I have a couple of friends that I have persuaded to use it but doubt that any time soon enough will be sold to make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back