Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Ryan00TJ:

quote:

Originally posted by BlownF150:

quote:

Originally posted by Quest:
Actually, Ford Fusion's chassis is based on Volvo's design.

The Fusion's chassis is based on the Mazda6 platform and is called the CD3. You are thinking of another platform Volvo uses called D3...very different from the CD3 platform.

The Ford 500 is based off the Volvo platform.
" I believe the Fusion is based on a Mazda design/engineering. "

So basically we're saying that Ford didn't come up with this car on their own.

"Topic: Great Job Ford!!!!"

dunno.gif
128.gif

You guys do know that they are a husband and wife team right?
And they have never EVER had a good thing to say about domestics in all the years I have read their reviews.And if you read the detriot news you would also know all it does is slag the big three(florida head office)they have no bias except againest the local manufacturers.They may have gotten tired of the uaw"s constant rage againest every thing they ever print.

quote:

So basically we're saying that Ford didn't come up with this car on their own.

Ford owns Volvo outright and holds controlling interest in Mazda.

The article does appear biased. But discounting equipment levels, the cheapest Camry V6 you can get is $23,620, while the Fusion V6 is $21,275 so at first glance at least, there appears to be a bit of a value proposition with the Fusion.

Also keep in mind that many reviews of the Fusion are quite positive. Not just this one...but reviews of the Camry are also generally positive.

quote:

Originally posted by Win:
Let the Ford bashing begin!

Already well stated by others, but I'll add my two bits anyway. I won't bash Ford, they deserve great credit for offering up a good solid car (of course, is it really a Ford when it's a Mazda-6 hiding under reshaped sheetmetal???).

I reserve the bashing for the reporters for, with a straight face, line up an I-4 Camry and a V-6 Fusion, and declare the Fusion the winner. As soon as I saw this, the article's credibility factor dropped to zero. Gee, the Detroit News, no chance of any home cooking being served up there. . .
rolleyes.gif

Fusion = great car (irrespective of how it compares to the Camry).

Detroit News = rag whose weather reports I wouldn't believe without a look outside first.

Regarding the Camry: funny how the original article points out the poor fit & trim vs. the Edmunds team with their mouths wide open in awe...

Nahhhh, no double standard exists!

Given my very poor past experiences with made in Mexico electronics and plumbing parts in my house. The last thing I want to do is buy a the Made in Mexico Ford Fusion car. Thanks but no thanks!

Several weeks ago I took a test drive in a Fusion 3.0L V-6 Duratec at my local Ford dealer.

I came away with the feeling that I couldn't live with it on a long-term basis in it's current state for 2 reasons:
1) Limited space between brake pedal and center console. This results in no space to move right foot. Terrible for long drives.
2) Underpowered. I'll wait for the new 3.5L Duratec.

I like Fusion. If Ford fix these relatively simple problems within the next few years, they may have a another sale.

I get a decent employee discount to buy FMCO products due to fleet customer pricing. I can't do it. Good for those who can but I can't take the hit, It's like going to margarine after living with butter to me.

Good for Ford for continuos improvement and may they surpass GM in their efforts to gain market share.

[ May 12, 2006, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Bryanccfshr ]

Ford seems to be doing a great job across the board with interior/exterior fit & finish compared to others. I love the interior/exterior on my brother's 2005 F150. GM is all over the place with this. My BIL's Malibu Maxx seems to be put together well, where my 2005 trailblazer has absolutely horrible fit/finish.

Joel

quote:

Originally posted by Thorn:
Here is a much more in-depth comparison from the well-respected Edmunds.com of four new family sedans. The Fusion finished dead last.

I have no vested interest in either vehicle, but I read both reviews on the Ford and Camry and came away with some interesting observations.

Seems Edmunds and the Detroit News are in disagreement about what looks "good" or not. The very things the DN praises the Fusion for are some of the things that Edmunds criticizes. I would expect the DN to give a favorable "hometown" review, but I would expect Edmunds to be a little more objective. For example, they take away points for such thing as the way it looks, the fact that it only has Forward D and L (even though they admit the tranny was where it needed to be and that it handled great), and the interior's implied emulation of BMW? And they described the interior as bland while praising the Camry - again, just the opposite of the DN. What the heck?! These things are inherently subjective, and I don't think it's necessarily fair to "rate" somthing as inferior to another vehicle because YOU happen to think the OTHER one is "prettier".

Seems like even when they did give praise to it, they did so begrudgingly and always seemed to have something bad to say right away to detract from the praise.

IMHO, Emunds, like many other Automobile magazines, has a predisposition to look for and point out any "perceived" negatives in some of the domestic cars while overlooking possible shortcomings from the Japanese imports. I acknowledge that the doms have in large part done this to themselves with questionable and even shoddy quality in the past, but come on. I think they've come a long way, and I frankly think some (not all, but some) of the criticism is unfair.

I haven't seen the '07 Camry yet, but I think Toyota and Honda make great cars. At the same time, I personally think the Fusion is the best looking car Ford has come out with in many years! I hope it performs as well as it looks...

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bryanccfshr:
They are both cars for "Pearls" (wifes name for white haired ladies).
dunno.gif

Sorry, but I can't see "Pearl" driving a Fusion...maybe the Camry, but not the Fusion.

Isn't it really all a matter of opinion anyway?
cheers.gif

Hi

quote:

They should drive both for 100k miles and then do a comparison.

Why not 250,000 and then do a comparison?

I recently test drove a Fusion with the base engine. I rather liked the car and would consider it next time around against a Ecotech GM.

whats with the hump on the front of the camry's schnozz? Did they need to fit a bigger radiator?

Ill have to see many in person to make my decision if I like it... I actually iked the last gen camry for its slightly aggressie yet conservative lines...

I wish the fusion was a small version of the 500... the Id really like it... of course if it was, it would be a ford branded passat!

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back