Grease for calpier slide pins and contact points?

I really like the white-ish EZ slide stuff.

Permatex is dandy as well, seems stickier than other brands I've used and also seems to stay longer than others. It might all be in my head but it is good stuff.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

However, I noticed that factory slider grease is yellowish and clearly different:

I noticed that too - the supplier of the grease is Nippon Grease - http://www.nippon-grease.co.jp/en/products/grease/g02.html

Looks like the orange and red greases should work.

From their Japanese page -

Nigurubu RX Two Lithium soap
orange butter-like
and excellent in rubber lubricity Rubber grease for brake. JIS-K-2228 applicable goods. And is used in automobile manufacturers seven - - -
Nigurubu RM Two Sodium complex soap
orange butter-like
is a high temperature can be used Disc brake, it is suitable for all lubricating points of a drum brake. JIS-K-2228 appropriate. Also suitable for lubrication of petrochemical plant bearing

Last edited:
I ended up buying 3M 08946 Clear Silicone Paste for caliper pins

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005RNE...ailpage_o00_s02

Seemed to have good reviews. I would have gone with Sli-Glyde but The Critic changed my mind with his detailed anaylsis of the woeful silicone content.
grin2.gif

Sil-Glyde here. I've used it on three brake jobs now, and have been very pleased with the results. Although after reading this thread I might have to reconsider when I do the rear brakes on my Jeep. Those are next in line but still have some meat on them.

Don't use Permatex Item #24125 (Purple)....it becomes absorbed by the rubber, swells it up really bad, and causes calipers to stick. Even though it says "safe for epdm rubber" right on the container.

Last edited:
Just to chime back in. For the truck brakes I'm doing in a few weeks I plan to run the Motorcraft silicone brake compound I always use on the pins but went out on a limb to pick up some new stuff, too. Jet-Lube MP-50 Moly Compound, I plan to use it on the sliding surfaces (brake pad ears). Just for fun.

Reviving this thread to add an observation from yesterday's brake project.

Sil-Glyde seems to work well on my vehicles with floating-caliper brakes that have the slider pins enclosed on both ends in a rubber boot and the bracket holes. My Toyota 4Runner and Subaru Forester have this design, and Sil-Glyde is still present in gel form when I disassemble them years later for pad replacement.

On my Mercury Mariner which has the pins exposed on the outboard end near the threads, Sil-Glyde dried up making the sliders stick and drag the pads. Motorcraft grease may be the cure for this problem, but I couldn't get any yesterday so I went with Permatex green grease to get the car back together. Hopefully it won't swell/damage the rubber bushings.

I use this Permatex grease. I used to use anti-seize, but found it dries out when heated.

IMG_20200717_090929.jpg

Originally Posted By: hate2work

I didn't even know they made a special grease just for caliper bolts. I've always just used a good high temp grease.
..most of the cars in my families stable are fine with the silicone and synthetic perma products..but..if you have the rubber "dust" boots that actually grip around the "shaft of the caliper bolt" (not just below the head) like on the newer 2000+ subarus and some pontiacs (the only cars I am familliar with), the silcone or permatex products will not do the job for the long run..these types of greases don't mix well(developes unnecessary friction or welling) with the rubber boots and will start to bind up in a very short time causeing the caliper pin to hydraulic causeing the surface of the rotor to become tarnished..I was made aware of this when I bought my 2001 subi with 42k/mi, since it was dealer serviced being still under warr, by this time the rotors had been re-surfaced 2 times with 3 new sets of pads..even after my purchase shortly again the rotors and pads needed replaceing..the caliper pins were locking up and a [censored] too pull them out even though they were not one bit rusty..to make this long story short..the proper grease if the mechanics are ware of it(most are not) can not be purchased any more, at least for the consumer..so I use this product in small amounts and all works as it is designed too.. http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/FUCHS - TDS/RENOLIT RED RUBBER GREASE.pdf

Can you please share what you use / recommend for slider pins with rubber boots?

Originally Posted By: RnR
Let me toss another lube into the fray... one which I heard about here some time back: Bendix Ceramlub

Started using Ceramlub a few years ago and it is the only thing that will hold up with the winter salt on New York state roads.
Most of the better shops use it for brake work.
About $15

I always was curious about Ceramlub, need to give it a try.

I will admit I did not all the posts in this thread. But, I actually do know what goes on Toyota and Lexus Brakes. I spent many days and many TSB’s researching how to lube brakes as must of you know I am a 95% OEM guy.

Toyota has 3 greases. One for metal/rubber contact (pink). One for metal/metal contact (white). One for shims (black).

Disclaimer, I’m sure there are many products that have worked great for thousands of people. LOL

8A19CFD5-A68D-4731-BEAB-2D49A446C481.jpeg
BDDA4BD8-A867-47CE-B206-DF1E298A4D39.jpeg

I’ve attached pictures of each of the products.
515C7EC8-B6D9-427D-A400-C31DB1CCEEB5.jpeg
CCC48EB5-4422-40C9-A903-2923E9624264.jpeg

Caliper bolts get silicone grease/compound. Pad eats the same or moly. In February I installed power stop brakes on my truck and the grease included seemed unseal for pad ears so we will see. No idea of what that grease actually is as it was in a little proprietary package.

Motorcraft silicone caliper grease is what I used.

I have Amsoil GHD grease, and series 2000 grease. I plan on doing a brake job and wanted to grease up the caliper contact points, etc. Can I use either of those two greases? My local guy has wheel bearing grease and basic grease for grease guns. He's all out of the Permatex grease for calipers, which I usually use.

TIA
Sorry, a bit late to the party on this.
Please give this product a try from Wurth. Silicone Lubricating Compound 8 Oz, Product Part Number: 08902211
I have tried and tested many Brake Caliper Slide Pin lubricants and found this to be the best hands down. Yes, its pricey, but an 8 oz Tube will last a long time, you don't need much. I use the Wurth Silicone Compound only on the slide pins, not on the Caliper Bracket Slide contact points. I use Anti-Seize on the slide contact points. I have a contracting business with 5 Trucks, and we do all our own maintenance. We have had trucks reach 1,000,000 kms, yes we live In ONtario Canada and have harsh winters, lots of road salt and sand exposure. A local Auto Service Shop got us onto the Wurth Silicone Compound. I was complaining that I have tried every caliper slide pin lubricant I can find and always had to perform a brake service every Spring and Fall (Yes, Twice a Year) on every truck to keep away from sticky or seized slide pins, also the caliper bracket contact slide points. He said to try this, he gave me an opened tube of Wurth Silicone Compound, approx half full.

After doing a brake service using the new Wurth product, we performed a brake service inspection on one of the trucks at six months, looked like we just greased the slide pins, we cleaned up the caliper bracket slide points and put it back together. At this point we started using the Wurth Silicone Compound on the entire fleet. We checked again in another six months, so now a year, every slide pin still coated with a moist coating of silicone compound, though looking thinner. No hardness, or stickiness of the Silicone. I decided to not re-service the brake calipers on this particular truck and use this truck as a road test pilot. This truck was my personal company truck and decided to see how long we could go. I did some periodic inspections on my truck, the other trucks we moved the brake service to once a year. The savings was huge, as we used to do this twice a year on every truck. FYI, a year was too long using the other NAPA products, there would always be a sticky or ceased pin. So we decided to be pro-active and service the brakes twice a year, Spring and Fall.

At two years since performing a slide pin service on my personal truck, using the Wurth Silicone Compound, we observed no seizing issues, the pins removed by hand, thumb and finger only. There was no corrosion on any of the pins surface area, the pins were still moist with silicone, though thin in a few spots. The cool thing about this product is that it is rubber friendly, so you can lube the rubber boots inside and out without worry about the boots getting sloppy or distorted with and chemical reaction. Boots still look like new. I believe that by putting a liberal amount of the silicone product inside the boots to fill the recess of the rib in the boot, helps seal the pins from road grime and salt. In the past using other products, we noticed that sometimes the boot rubbers would be distorted or stretched and not lock into the grove on the bracket housing and pin groove.

We are now performing our brake services on the fleet vehicles once a year in the fall. I did an experiment on my wife's 2012 MDX and went three years on the front & rear brakes with periodic inspections again as a test only. She drives only 4 kms to work with a few short trips to the bank for work and back home for lunch. She hardly uses the brakes to warm them up, dry out the moisture exposed to our heavily sanded and salted winter road conditions. There was no corrosion or seizing of the slide pins. Pins removed easily by thumb and finger. Now doing complete brake service every year, just to clean up the bracket slide contact surfaces. It is amazing how many kms we can get out of our rotors by performing regular brake service. Some trucks have reached 160,000 kms on one set of front rotors and 250,000 kms on rear rotors.

FYI: We flush the brake fluid every two years using AMSOIL Dot 3-4 Synthetic Brake fluid and have never replaced a caliper ever in our shop since performing annual brake service on the fleet.

Can't, say enough good about this product. I had no idea that there was a company out there that makes high performance products that provide value and performance for the money. Previous to talking with our friend at our local auto service shop, I had never heard of this company. They do not use heavy marketing like most companies, they are still privately owned and I think all their products are manufactured in Germany.

Sorry, a bit late to the party on this.
Please give this product a try from Wurth. Silicone Lubricating Compound 8 Oz, Product Part Number: 08902211
I have tried and tested many Brake Caliper Slide Pin lubricants and found this to be the best hands down. Yes, its pricey, but an 8 oz Tube will last a long time, you don't need much. I use the Wurth Silicone Compound only on the slide pins, not on the Caliper Bracket Slide contact points. I use Anti-Seize on the slide contact points. I have a contracting business with 5 Trucks, and we do all our own maintenance. We have had trucks reach 1,000,000 kms, yes we live In ONtario Canada and have harsh winters, lots of road salt and sand exposure. A local Auto Service Shop got us onto the Wurth Silicone Compound. I was complaining that I have tried every caliper slide pin lubricant I can find and always had to perform a brake service every Spring and Fall (Yes, Twice a Year) on every truck to keep away from sticky or seized slide pins, also the caliper bracket contact slide points. He said to try this, he gave me an opened tube of Wurth Silicone Compound, approx half full.

After doing a brake service using the new Wurth product, we performed a brake service inspection on one of the trucks at six months, looked like we just greased the slide pins, we cleaned up the caliper bracket slide points and put it back together. At this point we started using the Wurth Silicone Compound on the entire fleet. We checked again in another six months, so now a year, every slide pin still coated with a moist coating of silicone compound, though looking thinner. No hardness, or stickiness of the Silicone. I decided to not re-service the brake calipers on this particular truck and use this truck as a road test pilot. This truck was my personal company truck and decided to see how long we could go. I did some periodic inspections on my truck, the other trucks we moved the brake service to once a year. The savings was huge, as we used to do this twice a year on every truck. FYI, a year was too long using the other NAPA products, there would always be a sticky or ceased pin. So we decided to be pro-active and service the brakes twice a year, Spring and Fall.

At two years since performing a slide pin service on my personal truck, using the Wurth Silicone Compound, we observed no seizing issues, the pins removed by hand, thumb and finger only. There was no corrosion on any of the pins surface area, the pins were still moist with silicone, though thin in a few spots. The cool thing about this product is that it is rubber friendly, so you can lube the rubber boots inside and out without worry about the boots getting sloppy or distorted with and chemical reaction. Boots still look like new. I believe that by putting a liberal amount of the silicone product inside the boots to fill the recess of the rib in the boot, helps seal the pins from road grime and salt. In the past using other products, we noticed that sometimes the boot rubbers would be distorted or stretched and not lock into the grove on the bracket housing and pin groove.

We are now performing our brake services on the fleet vehicles once a year in the fall. I did an experiment on my wife's 2012 MDX and went three years on the front & rear brakes with periodic inspections again as a test only. She drives only 4 kms to work with a few short trips to the bank for work and back home for lunch. She hardly uses the brakes to warm them up, dry out the moisture exposed to our heavily sanded and salted winter road conditions. There was no corrosion or seizing of the slide pins. Pins removed easily by thumb and finger. Now doing complete brake service every year, just to clean up the bracket slide contact surfaces. It is amazing how many kms we can get out of our rotors by performing regular brake service. Some trucks have reached 160,000 kms on one set of front rotors and 250,000 kms on rear rotors.

FYI: We flush the brake fluid every two years using AMSOIL Dot 3-4 Synthetic Brake fluid and have never replaced a caliper ever in our shop since performing annual brake service on the fleet.

Can't, say enough good about this product. I had no idea that there was a company out there that makes high performance products that provide value and performance for the money. Previous to talking with our friend at our local auto service shop, I had never heard of this company. They do not use heavy marketing like most companies, they are still privately owned and I think all their products are manufactured in Germany.
Years have past since I posted in this thread. I'm still using the Permatex Green grease that I used in the past for caliper/pad areas requiring grease. No problems to report, no plans to change.

This is the stuff that I have used forever. I love it. Even after several WI winters, it holds up well.
View attachment 25189
I've been using this for years now. It works great on all steel brake caliper pins. Repeat, all steel slide pins.
I was refreshing my sons brakes this past weekend. His car has the one pin with the rubber bushing. ( for vibration I believe.) I had to use a pair of pliers and use a lot of force to get the pin out. ( Same on the other side as well.) The rubber bushings had expanded. I know the manufacture says it is safe for rubber , but I'm not alone in saying otherwise. I'll be switching to something else.

Back