Greasable U-Joints ruin the yoke?

Took the driveshaft out of my Truck to replace the center support bearing. I could not get it apart so I took it to the driveshaft guy.

He called me and said the yokes are all bad. The cups slide in with no resistance at all. He says that my greasing the Joints ruined the yokes.

He said that the grease gets between the cup and yoke which causes the cup to spin and wear the yoke.

Thoughts?
Don’t you run moly grease in bearings?

Wow. Anybody remember the My Cousin Vinny scene where he askes the guy if the laws of physics cease to exist on his stove?

Did you get your universal joints from the same guy that Jack got his beanstalk beans???

FYI I've got some not exactly tight fitting ujoints in a driveshaft now. I'm planning on using some Loctite 660 on them to see if it makes any difference.

I'd ask for your driveshaft back and take it somewhere else. Sounds like a scammer to me, why charge you $50 to do a bearing when he can charge you $500 for a full rebuild.

Everything I've seen suggests that u Joints are the one place you cannot grease too much. I know I'll never find the article now, but I have read one online from one of the joint manufacturers and it stated to lube them till clean grease rolls out of the seals, and to do it often.
From that I surmise that this had nothing to do with your failure.

If the cups were spinning in application, the surfaces should show an even coating of red rust and perhaps even develop polish. Either way, it is curious why cups were loose in the yoke.

Grease shouldn't be able to get to the outside of a cup in a properly fitting setup.

I doubt overgreasing caused the problem. I've seen many a revered expert talk beyond what they know.

I just replaced the u-joints on our 1993 Toyota pickup due to a clunk when reversing. The u-joint had some play probably due to abusive off roading I did when we first bought the truck in 1993. Checked the yoke and they looked fine. I lubed the zerks at least once per year, at every other oil change. This time I lubed the splines of the slip yoke with Motorcraft Yoke grease. The yokes in both driveshafts are in excellent condition.

If you look up moog and timkin u joints literature, they will tell you that greasing u joints too much is an impossibility, that you should force grease it till it comes out the seals. This means literally flushing out the grease each time. I grease the crap out of the drive line on my Tacoma and at 58K miles, it's still going strong on original joints. I'd say that came from the same guy who said you can't switch back and forth between dino and syn oil. Why you yokes wore out is a mystery, but one thing you can rule out is over greasing them. As mentioned above, for one thing, how in the world would greasing them, in any manner, get grease to go between the cup and the yoke? I don't care how hard you "sling" grease you can't sling it that hard, no way. Besides, it would sling it off the joint not in it.

Usually if end caps are spinning its because the clamp straps are not clamping tight enough on the cap, grind the ends some so they tighten up or get new u joint straps.

Reactions: Y_K
I or anyone with an acetylene torch could shrink the holes easily.
Spot heat to cherry one side if the ear. Let it cool, the hole gets smaller.
What happens is the area heated gets soft. The rest of the ear resists moving, so the red hot area compresses on itself.
Then when the red hot area cools, the hole gets a little smaller.
I have done this on engine piston rods when the little end is too loose. It is fast and easy.

If you bought cheaper Chinese u-joints, that’s your issue. They are not uniform at all and many come way undersized. It should be a tight fit grease or no grease.

Reactions: Y_K
I don't think grease was the problem.By going to new quality parts,it might take years for you to see what happened in the past.Some things are hard to explain.

Wow, I've never heard of greasing u-joints regularly causes the yoke to wear down. I've greases thousands of u-joints and replaced ones where the owner didn't do any maintenance so the dry u-joint wore themselves out but the yokes are perfect.

When I press in new u-joints, I ALWAYS coat the yoke and cups with grease to help them slide into the yoke easier. Don't know if it actually helps but it makes me feel better...and I have never experienced a loose joint because of it.

Back