Greasing prop shaft u joints that have no zerks

A shop here botched swapping the u joints out of my propeller shaft. Its a toyota prop shaft with a center bearing, with staked on joints. So the shop removed the stakes and replaced the u joints with zerk type. Unfortunately since this is a stake on type, the inner surface of the yokes are not flat, so installing a circlip type u joint is out of the question. They installed the zerk u joint and welded a washer on the outside caps to prevent the u joint from shifting. But problem is I got a vibration over 60mph, which leads me to beleive they couldnt center the u joints and yokes properly. I got myself a one peice, and it also exhibits a vibration over 70mph. The problem is no one can balance a driveshaft over 1500rpm in my country.
So I bought a used untouched prop shaft from japan with the original U joints intact from factory.
Problem is one of the joint is abit stiff, so i was thinking of prying the rubber seals at 4 location on each seal and injecting grease with a needle head on a grease gun. Has anyone tried this before ?
Dont ask me to get a shop to change out the u joints, it's out of the question. Leaving the original u joints in is the only way I can ensure the yokes are perfectly centered. It sucks being in a 3rd world country.

Sometimes, tapping (not hammering) using a hammer on the yoke may help. There should be sufficient grease already in the joint. You do not need much. I would not disturb the seals in any way as your suggestion will destroy them, cause the grease inside to sling out and eventually wearing out the joint. As a last resort, you could remove and reinstall the joint back in the yoke if it was originally installed incorrectly.

The vibration you're getting is the result of the wrong installation of the drive shaft to it's original location. The balanced portion of the shaft should be installed to the same orientation from where it was originally removed.

Been through that nightmare with a Camry Alltrac- shaft is claimed non rebuildable, after I screwed up the first one ordered a 'good' used one which was worse than my old one. From this ex owner- either pony up for new or take one to a proper driveline shop and have it redone. I was at a remote town- I lived with the vibration.

The vibration you're getting is the result of the wrong installation of the drive shaft to it's original location. The balanced portion of the shaft should be installed to the same orientation from where it was originally removed.
not wrong orientaion for sure, seewhat they did..
1686234298042.jpg

1686234323771.jpg

Original is staked on, once removed you cant really center the u joints properly.

Is it "ratchety" stiff or smooth stiff?

The former could be inadequate lubrication, the latter is likely just preload of the caps/end thrust washers against the cross. If preload, it'll be smooth as butter in 50 miles as things settle in and self-clearance.

Truthfully -- either way -- I'd run it 50 to 100 miles then check the feel again and make a judgment.

If you're unwilling to do that, send it back now as a new, unused part and look for another. The only way I'd grease a non-greaseable is full disassembly and that's not a viable option here.

Is it "ratchety" stiff or smooth stiff?

The former could be inadequate lubrication, the latter is likely just preload of the caps/end thrust washers against the cross. If preload, it'll be smooth as butter in 50 miles as things settle in and self-clearance.

Truthfully -- either way -- I'd run it 50 to 100 miles then check the feel again and make a judgment.

If you're unwilling to do that, send it back now as a new, unused part and look for another. The only way I'd grease a non-greaseable is full disassembly and that's not a viable option here.
Kind rachety, the old one(shown in pic above) is not salvagable. The ones with new U joints as per photos above are smooth and have no slop, but they are not centered and unbalanced. Before the prop shaft rebuild, eventhough the joints were stiff , even with a torn center bearing, I had no problems going over 90mph, there was a very slight rumble, but no vibration. So that is why I bought an untouched used prop shaft from japan. Below are pics of the untouched one :
1686272496003.png

Even the nut to tight the center bearing has toyota assembly paint on it.
1686272568641.png

So I am hoping to go back with vibration free highway speeds like before the prop shaft was touched.
Last night ,I may have found a guy who could balance prop shaft properly over here, but lets see how this used prop shaft is.
Oh yeah, I did try to lift the seals today, and yes you guys were right, it wasn't feasible.

My guess is stiff but no slop u joint is far better than a loose one, or a smooth uncentered one.

Last edited:
In my experience if the non greaseable u-joints don't show signs of loosing grease around the seals then there usually OK. Its when those seals fail that they throw the grease out then there done fairly soon afterwards. Of course its possible your used one was cleaned before shipping, so you won't know until you run it.

Back