Granite countertop installation question

I want to install a small granite countertop 25" x 36". The granite is thinner than the existing laminate and if I install the granite directly on top of the countertop it will leave a 1/4" gap where the wall wasn't painted. I don't have any of the paint left and I'm really bad at spackling.

My ideas are:

3/8" by 3/8" firring strips that will sit on the existing cabinet supports. No one seems to see anything like this. I lack the tools/skill to make them myself.

3/8" plywood I'd get homedepot cut it if they still do that.

3/8" shelving, easy to buy. Two 12" x36" shelves would be perfect. Inexpensive.

1/2" plank wood 2 x 4 or 4 x 4 I fear the wood might warp or change due to the weather and crack the granite

Will the shelving work for my project? The estimated weight of the granite is 120 lbs. The shelving says it will hold 150lbs per plank and I'm using two planks so I don't see a problem. Is there anything I'm thinking of that could cause a problem?

I would go with the plywood personally in one piece, with lots of construction adhesive and screws to hold it to the top of the cabinet then adhere the granite to that and silicone the seams
They don't adhere the granite to the cabinets. I just sits on top and they silicone around the perimeter after it's in place to keep it from moving.

IMO you have paid for a nice counter top why not finish it so it looks done instead of hiding the imperfection? Is a backsplash an option? If not I’d find a way to fix and paint the wall so it looks finished.

After doing a lot of home renovations I look at how others finish things. Unfortunately I tend to judge in my head some of the shottie work you see after people have spent good money on items. My wife gets frustrated when I’m doing the work because sometimes it takes a while but she proudly shows off the finished product.

Just my $0.02

IMO you have paid for a nice counter top why not finish it so it looks done instead of hiding the imperfection? Is a backsplash an option? If not I’d find a way to fix and paint the wall so it looks finished.

After doing a lot of home renovations I look at how others finish things. Unfortunately I tend to judge in my head some of the shottie work you see after people have spent good money on items. My wife gets frustrated when I’m doing the work because sometimes it takes a while but she proudly shows off the finished product.

Just my $0.02
It looks kind of like this. It's enclosed on 3 sides with a backsplash in the back and painted sheetrock on the sides. Guess I could granite backsplash the sides or tile them with the same backsplash tile that I have plenty of leftovers.

I added another picture. Looks like this installation had the same issue as mine and they added a smaller piece of backsplash on the side to cover the area that didn't get painted.

Attachments

• what-is-a-butler-s-pantry-5069920-hero-42c838f8340b48f08c2e0cbb7ebbe7b1.jpg
    what-is-a-butler-s-pantry-5069920-hero-42c838f8340b48f08c2e0cbb7ebbe7b1.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Furring strips can be wood from a lattice screen. That might be enough. Make sure the reveal is okay on the front edge. You don’t want to go higher to cover the side and end up exposing something up front.

Not sure where you would find 3/8 inch thick shelving. Plywood will be somewhat stable, but can still warp/bow if not fastened down. MDF is very stable. Like Pim Tac mentions, the front reveal between the cabinet and counter top might require a simple trim piece to dress it up.

It looks kind of like this. It's enclosed on 3 sides with a backsplash in the back and painted sheetrock on the sides. Guess I could granite backsplash the sides or tile them with the same backsplash tile that I have plenty of leftovers.

I added another picture. Looks like this installation had the same issue as mine and they added a smaller piece of backsplash on the side to cover the area that didn't get painted.
Yeah maybe go with 3" or 4" matching granite backsplash pieces on the sides...hearing now that there is already a backsplash I would just complete it on the sides being you have the tile and it'll look great.

I was afraid that the builders crashed the drywall but they did not. The laminated countertop came out easily without any damage to the dry wall. I found the old paint can in the basement and hopefully homedepot can mix me up a quart of the same color.

When we redid our kitchen I constructed an island/high table that got a slab.I made the top from plywood and then the slab laid flat on top. It works great.

Maybe I missed it, why don’t you just get a thin strip of the same material for the first inch or inches before whatever you put for the full height backsplash?

Back