Oven Install- Granite Countertop Interference

I got my oven installed but ran into a small issue. The lower oven door is about 1/8 inch or so wider than my old one. It hits the granite.

There is no room to shift the oven in the cabinet. I need to trim the granite.

Is this something i can do myself , or do i call in a countertop guy to do it ?

I am not familiar with what cutting wheel I could use, and if this can be done with a grinder by hand?
IMG_20220924_224615730.jpg
IMG_20220924_224512606_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220924_224601039_HDR.jpg

This happened to us when installing our slide-in oven. My FIL attached a bit to his drill in order to grind/file of the excess, it worked flawlessly, this was 18 years ago. I still have the same oven, but I've had to replace the electronic controller twice. Good luck @spasm3 !

The problem with cutting it yourself is you cannot polish it afterward without polishing pads. If your ok with a somewhat
Rough edge just use a diamond blade and cut it off, if you want a polished edge a granite guy can cut and polish it in a few minutes.

I think I'm going to call the granite installer.
I also don't want dust all over the new oven and the kitchen.

I think I'm going to call the granite installer.
I also don't want dust all over the new oven and the kitchen.

He should have a vacuum dust collection setup for that. Most people don’t want granite dust everywhere. It should be minimal with that size of cut.

Cover up surfaces beforehand.

I realized I had a scrap of granite from when they installed it , so I decided to make a practice cut on it. It went well.
So success!! Was pretty easy with a steady hand.
I used an Avanti diamond blade on my Ryobi battery grinder.

I also bought a HEPA filter for my rigid vacuum and taped the hose under the granite. Covered the oven with plastic and tape.

Thanks everyone for the advice and blade suggestions!

IMG_20220925_131211526.jpg
IMG_20220925_131125507.jpg
IMG_20220925_131902287_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220925_131113861.jpg
IMG_20220925_132646054.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220925_131113861.jpg
    IMG_20220925_131113861.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I realized I had a scrap of granite from when they installed it , so I decided to make a practice cut on it. It went well.
So success!! Was pretty easy with a steady hand.
I used an Avanti diamond blade on my Ryobi battery grinder.

I also bought a HEPA filter for my rigid vacuum and taped the hose under the granite. Covered the oven with plastic and tape.

Thanks everyone for the advice and blade suggestions!

View attachment 118429View attachment 118430View attachment 118432View attachment 118433View attachment 118434
I would have done it myself too. Too tempting

You just saved yourself $100+ I'm sure.
Probably, but it was more about wifey wants it finished.

We bought this oven to replace a samsung upper end oven that is only 5-6 years old. Had a few problems, some repaired myself. Main board went out, had a samsung service company diagnose it. Waited a month, no parts. Don't know when they will arrive, might be 6 monts, none available anywhere. Screw it, bought a Kitchenaid.

I would avoid Samsung appliances, i have not had good service with the later ones.

Probably, but it was more about wifey wants it finished.

We bought this oven to replace a samsung upper end oven that is only 5-6 years old. Had a few problems, some repaired myself. Main board went out, had a samsung service company diagnose it. Waited a month, no parts. Don't know when they will arrive, might be 6 monts, none available anywhere. Screw it, bought a Kitchenaid.

I would avoid Samsung appliances, i have not had good service with the later ones.
Yep, parts/service for Samsung and LG tend to be hard to find.

Back