New bathroom sink advice

I'm at the point to put a new sink/cabinet in my bathroom. Unfortunately this old house offers unusually small bathrooms. The master bathroom is L-shaped about 4' wide and 8' long floor space (plus bathtub area). Space here is a premium. The current sized cabinet/sink is properly sized but needs replacing as it's cheap and damaged.

I have two options. I have a really nice cabinet and sink combo I can install. It is 10% wider and deeper. But would make a huge improvement on the aesthetics and it offers large useful cabinets (cabinets and storage are also badly needed). It offers large space on top for hygiene products, razors, etc.

The other option is a very nice minimalist pedestal sink. The advantage is a minimal footprint. The disadvantages include no space on top to set anything (so I'd need shelving or another solution), and zero cabinet space.

I have these two items and am not really wanting to go get anything different. I'm leaning toward installing the cabinet sink in the main, and replacing the dated wall sink in the 2nd (even smaller) 1/2 bath with the pedestal sink... I do like to get broad feedback before deciding and installing such things.

Anyone had to wrestle with these and have any thought processes?

Last edited:
Can you trade off width for depth? If not find a cabinet that allows you to store or hang items on the doors that swing out. It will give you more room and much better aesthetics. Good luck.

I think pedestal sinks are better suited to half-bathrooms where you won't be getting ready every day... they seem like they don't offer enough space to set things down while working through a morning routine (toothpaste/shaving cream/razor/hair products, etc.) Even if not leaving much out on the counter, I'd be bothered by essentially no counter space in a bathroom that I used to get ready every day.

I think pedestal sinks are better suited to half-bathrooms where you won't be getting ready every day... they seem like they don't offer enough space to set things down while working through a morning routine (toothpaste/shaving cream/razor/hair products, etc.) Even if not leaving much out on the counter, I'd be bothered by essentially no counter space in a bathroom that I used to get ready every day.
You articulated it much better in writing than I could in my mind! Yes, that's exactly my concern for a daily use sink.

Can you trade off width for depth? If not find a cabinet that allows you to store or hang items on the doors that swing out. It will give you more room and much better aesthetics. Good luck.
Unfortunately with so little space, no. There's not really a better option sans going out and getting a different unit. That's not really an option for me at this time so I'm making due with what I have. I have a really nice cabinet that would offer excellent aesthetics and storage, it's just slightly larger and camps the area even more.

There are a lot of options out there. Peruse websites like Koehler etc for ideas.

The sink can be a vessel type that sits on top of the cabinet. That might give you the storage you need. My experience though is that the more storage room you have the more stuff gets piled on there.

Your available space plus the number of people using this sink will be the big factors.

Back