Grade your vehicle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 Civic Coupe VP (deceased): B+
Exterior: It was a nice looking car. I kept getting compliments.
Headlights worked well.
Interior: For the most part it felt high quality. The plastics didn't look cheap. The color coordination worked well. Fabric on the seats and the carpet could have been better. The ergonomics were good. Since mine was the base model, the seats didn't go up or down and they could be a little uncomfortable on longer rides. The stereo was good for OEM. Could have at least had power locks and windows though even though it was the base model. The new ones do.
Powertrain: The engine was a little underpowered. It was reliable though for the 41k miles I had it. It was a chore to change the oil on it since the oil filter is at the back of the engine and the ground clearance was low. Always had to raise it. Transmission fluid was easy to drain and fill. Gas mileage was good. Highest I got was 40 mpg but it took effort (drive slower, windows down). The norm was between 32-34 depending on how I drove it.

Overall I wish I still have it.

2002 Nissan Maxima SE: A
Exterior: The consensus is that the 5th gen Maximas might have been one of the best looking. I love the HID lights.
Interior: The materials are high quality, possibly with exception of the seat cloth. It's some kind of micro-suede and it doesn't feel plush. I don't think it wears well either. The seat is very adjustable and I think I can drive for hours and still be comfortable. Legroom is good in the rear. Ergonomics are okay but there are some things that can be improved. AC and Stereo controls are kind of far from reach. I usually have to bend forward a little to get them. The steering wheel buttons should be lighted since it's hard to tell what's what unless the driver is familiar with them. For an entry level premium car, the stock stereo isn't great. I think I liked the one in the Civic more.
Powertrain: This is where I really like it. It has a lot of power for a normal four door sedan. The engine is smooth. Good low end torque. The DBW is responsive compared to the one in my mom's Camry. I thought it was used a throttle cable when I first got it. The transmission is a little jerky sometimes and I guess it is common for this car. Fuel mileage is okay for a v6 but can't compare to the Honda J series. City for me can be anywhere from 18-20 and highway is probably around 26 and with easy driving 28. Combined though I can get 23-25.

1999 Saturn SL2: B+

Pros: Spin on transmission filter. Air filter, PCV, and spark plugs easy to replace. There is more than a ton of info on DYI repairs on the internet. Engine layout for other maintenance and repairs.

Cons: Mine uses 4 quarts of oil per 3,000 miles. Oil filter location not the best. Alternator location not the best. Top motor mount needs replacement after 60,000 miles. ECTS needs replacement.

This has been one of the best cars I have ever owned. My choice was a stripped down Corolla with a 3-speed auto or my Saturn with power everything, cruise, aftermarket remote start, and 4-speed auto. I find it comfy and has excellent heat in the winter. I have a tall torso. In many cars my head will hit or almost hit the headliner. I have plenty of room to spare in the Saturn. Parts are cheap and used Saturn's are affordable.

1999 Buick LeSabre Custom: B

Pro: Comfy as anything, can drive for hours. Great highway fuel economy (32-33 with some speed, 39 a few times pulling all the stops for economy), lots of room, plenty of power. Also cheap and easy to work on.

Con: Rusts very easily, and always something to keep up on. In-town mileage is terrible. OEM parts are failing, and it doesn't keep in alignment. Numb steering, vague handling, a bear to park in small lots. Also the GM V6 gasket failure issue, which is being addressed soon. Lots of rattles in the interior.

Various saturn s-series... A-. Kept from A+ with oil burning, rotor warping, and rattles. As said above, MPG, easily serviced. Floorpans and brake lines take salt very well.

Dodge Dakotas, 91+92. 2.5 stick shift short bed got 25 MPG city/highway and was gutless. 3.9 V6 fixed that at some MPG cost. Had about 3 ft 10 in between wheel wells keeping 4x8 sheet goods from fitting. (A conspiracy to make you buy a full size?) But the bed was an appropriate height and you could load stuff over the gunwhales without killing your back, unlike any trucks made today. Good use of space, strong frame. B+.

95 ford F150, C. Sporadic engineering. For all the metal they put in the frame they could have put a little more in the rocker panels, rad support, and various riveted-on suspension hangers.

92 cutlass ciera 3.3 V6. B-. Reliable. Got 29-30 MPG from a 3 speed automatic, compared to 27 from a new 4 speed taurus. Spunky. Could do a 3-1 downshift at 25-30 MPH, fun on onramps. Rattled and the bench seat was rather saggy and blown out.

96 Taurus. D+. Held the road awesome and drove great but in my two months of owning it I had to put in a strut, knuckle, bearing, muffler, radiator. Plastic covering rocker panels held in moisture, rotting them out. Headlight plastic turned hazy yellow. All jobs were 4x the PIA factor as they would have been on the saturn. MPG not what it could be.

86 Mazda B2000. C. Carb screws were dissimilar metals and the whole thing rusted together. Design defect rotted the rear frame. However, rear brake drums were huge, a relic of when Japanese stuff was overbuilt. Manual steering, wow! Good use of space, would be an awesome urban delivery vehicle.

Quote:
Dodge Dakotas, 91+92. 2.5 stick shift short bed got 25 MPG city/highway and was gutless. Had about 3 ft 10 in between wheel wells keeping 4x8 sheet goods from fitting. (A conspiracy to make you buy a full size?) But the bed was an appropriate height and you could load stuff over the gunwhales without killing your back, unlike any trucks made today. Good use of space, strong frame. B+.

Mine is same way, except with peeling paint. I would give B-.

Quote:
1999 Buick LeSabre Custom: B

Pro: Comfy as anything, can drive for hours. Great highway fuel economy (32-33 with some speed, 39 a few times pulling all the stops for economy), lots of room, plenty of power. Also cheap and easy to work on.

Con: Rusts very easily, and always something to keep up on. In-town mileage is terrible. OEM parts are failing, and it doesn't keep in alignment. Numb steering, vague handling, a bear to park in small lots. Also the GM V6 gasket failure issue, which is being addressed soon. Lots of rattles in the interior.

My wife's 98 was a POS, I give it a D (would give F but I agree with the comfy part).

John

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

Pros: Spin on transmission filter.

Good for BITOGers, bad for quick lubes.

I did hear "why this oil red?" when I worked at JL. At least they looked at the color of what came out.
33.gif

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 V6 (grade D)

I've owned this car for 4 years, worst reliablity of any new or used car I have ever owned, I think the design of the car itself is fine (and useful), but it's been in the shop every couple of months since we bought it, I feel like nickle and dimes me to death, I will never but any chrysler product ever again...period.

1997 Ford Mustang 4.6 V8 (grade C)

The drive train is solid, the interior quality is bad, I've owned this car for 8 years, fun to drive but it's had some issues, the rear end had to be rebuilt at 40,000 miles (I don't drive fast or abuse it), the alternator went out recently and the car only has 50,000 original miles on it, the driver seat has holes from wear.

1998 Chevy Prizm 1.8 (grade B)

Most reliable car I've owned to date, the car seems simple in nature but is bulletproof. The car's interior is not very high quality. I would buy another in a heartbeat (corolla).

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
I really doubt anyone here is going to fail there vehicles.

Wrong.
My 1993 F-150 w/5.0L 302 has given me everlasting problems, and I have given up on it.

F

2004 Jaguar Xj8 - B+

With its advanced C.A.T.S. electronic suspension, bonded aircraft style aluminum construction, quad cam/valve aluminum V8 with variable everything, 6 speed ZF, this remains a state of the art vehicle even five years after manufacture. Wood quality, wool quality, and leather quality was better on the pre Ford Jaguars. I don't drive it much, but when I do, I am shocked at what a nice car it is.

2009 Pontiac Torrent GXP - B.

This is a nice truck, car, whatever. It has every option, I can't think of anything I would change on it. It has excellent driving qualities, given its mass. The carbon flash paint is stunning.

2009 Solstice - B.

This is a nice little car. It has every option, less the GXP package. I can't think of anything I would change on it. It has excellent driving qualities and while it looks like it would ride like a pig being as it is so low to the ground, it actually is very pleasant. My wife looks really good in it.

2008 Pontiac G8 - B+

This is a great car, with vehicle driving dynamics far better than its modest price. The only thing I would change would be the cheesy fake hood scoops. It should have had the flat hood from the Australian cars, and while mine is a bright, look at me type of color, the color choices offered by Pontiac were boringly drab compared to what was available on a Holden.

1999 Chevrolet S-10 - no grade

This is a utility vehicle. It does everything in a utilitarian manner.

1994 Jaguar Xj12 - no grade.

In its day this was really something, but fifteen year old cars are poor by today's standards. The quality of the appointments, the inlaid burled walnut trim, Connoly leather, and Wilton wool carpeting and headliner are still outstanding, even by today's standards.

Originally Posted By: ramblar

Wrong.
My 1993 F-150 w/5.0L 302 has given me everlasting problems, and I have given up on it.

F

883a7-clap.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ramblar

Wrong.

F

If you were closer I'd take it off your hands
wink.gif
HO swap here we come
grin2.gif

2001 Chevy Xtreme Blazer:

I'm giving it a A- only because of minor issues I've had. Has 185,000 miles and still runs and looks great. Pretty decent on gas..24 hwy XX city. Not the most comfortable but than again it's a sport model..feel every bump. The only things I've replaced so far are: Two wheel bearings on the driver side..original on passenger...radiator..intake gasket..water pump when intake gasket was replaced suggested by mechanic but original was fine..fuel pump..battery. Everything else is original. Good Truck.

'06 Hyundai Santa Fe gets an "A+" from me!

Has been an excellent vehicle that runs great and is very comfortable. I have over 200K KM (120K miles) and have had 0 trips to the dealer under warranty and have only had to replace 1 oxygen sensor about 30K KM ago. Other than that I have only done regular maintenance. The first set of brakes (front/rear disc) lasted over 100K KM (60K miles). Still has the original tires on it. (have winter tires too so that is why)

It's a 4K pound truck (according to the sticker inside the door) and it still gets an average of 10L / 100KM (28.2 MPG) with the 2.7L V6 and 4 Speed automatic transmission. Could probably do better if I didn't have fun with it from time to time and drive with a lead foot on the highways.
whistle.gif

This vehicle is what I use as my mobile office and I spend 8,10 and sometimes 12 hours a day on the road for my job in some of the nastiest weather imaginable. I usually have the A/C going all the time in the summer, so I don't look like I went swimming in my "corporate" wear, or the heater in the winter to keep warm. There is some excessive idling at times when I need to make calls in my "office" I also wired it with A/C outlets so I can power my laptop, printer/fax machine and electric coffee mug. (I told you it was an office)
grin2.gif

I would definitely buy another one again!
thumbsup2.gif

1.jpg

I have the bars in the front to help save this vehicle should I hit a deer again like I did with my previous car which was totaled... Just to help minimize the damage should it happen.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Cool cattle guard. Did that come with it?
Yeah dealer add-on which I negotiated into the deal.

'00 Mitsubishi Pajero/Montero - A

Nothing but regular service, although the failed alternator because the car wash attendant washed my engine bay with diesel fuel...cannot really blame the car for that. It's as solid as it was when I drove it off the dealer's floor, never a single repair under warranty. Only issues to date - valve guides (expected for this engine) at 250,000 km (157,000 miles), slightly torn rear mudguard (fixed) and inclinometer leaked some of its fluid (replaced). If it wasn't for the guides, I would have easily given it an A+. But the new guides are being modified, so I won't have to deal with this again.
thumbsup2.gif
Fuel economy isn't too shabby for a 2,500 kg truck at 13.4L/100 km.

'09 Mitsubishi Galant GTS Premium - A

Accelerates like sh!t off a stick, perfect balance of handling although front wheel drive is its draw back due to torque steer at WOT. Build quality is right up there, except the centre armrest feels a bit on the "cheap" side. Fuel economy is pretty decent at 8.9L/100 km.

'08 Mitsubishi Outlander GLX - A+

One of the best purchases ever, perfect handling and acceleration, smooth shifting CVT. The light weight body was one of its biggest advantages. Fuel economy was excellent at 8.5L/100 km.

'07 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Convenience - B+

Comfort was great, fuel economy was too at 11 L/100 km. Only drawbacks were the lack of an LSD (right rear spun like mad), instrument cluster was in for warranty repair due to faulty fuel gauge, driver's keypad failed and was replaced under warranty and the hood latch squeaked.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Quad Cab - B+

I've just turned 35K miles on this truck. No problems. Love the CTD. The interior plastic stuff is a bit cheezy but overall the best truck I've ever owned. The 4x4 just ate up the 16 inch snowfall we had last winter.

2007 Mustang - B+

The wifes car. Entry level no frills Mustang. Runs great no problems (12K miles). A bit noisey on the highway.

2007 Harley Softail Custom - A+

What can I say! A beauty of a bike, runs like a champ & sounds like it should. About 3500 miles. Gotta ride more!

1989 Chevy Caprice Classic - A

Hard to grade this properly as it has 310k miles on it and is in need of some TLC. I'm going to grade it based on if I was able to go back in time and buy it new and was going to run it myself for 310k miles.

It's still a reliable daily driver but has a bad body mount squeaking in the back, needs front brakes, A/C has quit working, etc. It needs a lot of small things fixed to bring it back to the way it was when it was new. I have lower mileage parts cars which can be bought for $200 saving lot of repair costs down the road.
Handling:
When they were low mileage they handled well for their size while being a very smooth ride. The F41 suspension is important to have since the large sway bars help handling a lot.

Interior:
Quality was fairly good. The dash pad is cracked from sun damage. Seats are getting slightly saggy after 310k miles but still have no tears or visible wear. Carpet is getting fairly worn as are the rubber on the pedals but it's not a big deal. Headliner is falling down as well.

Drivetrain:
Original engine still runs good but has slight exhaust leak that needs fixing. Transmission was original until 305K miles when it ran out of fluid due to a slow leak. Put a used trans with only 170k in it. Rear axle seal and original rear brake drums needed to be replaced at that time as well but the rest of the rear axle assembly is original. Unfortunately it does not have posi and is only 2.73 gears. Acceleration is okay on the highway but slow out of the hole cause of the tall gears 3.08 would have been a better option although MPG might suffer, which is currently over 25mpg highway. This was the first year for fuel injection which should help with cold weather MPG as compared to the carbed 305's I've had before. I haven't had a problem with cold starts on any of these cars even the carbureted ones. The day I picked this car up it was -20C and the car had been sitting for several weeks and the battery was almost dead, however it turned over really slow for a few seconds and then started.

Exterior:
Body is starting to rust since it hasn't been undercoated in at least 6 years. Prior to that the original owner undercoated it for the first 240k miles and the body was still very good condition at that time. Vinyl roof is still in decent shape except at a corner it's peeling up. The original windshield is going to need replacing, no cracks but its pitted so bad the sun can almost blind you while driving around sunset/sunrise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back