Grade your vehicle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
1994 Jaguar Xj12 - no grade.

In its day this was really something, but fifteen year old cars are poor by today's standards. The quality of the appointments, the inlaid burled walnut trim, Connoly leather, and Wilton wool carpeting and headliner are still outstanding, even by today's standards.

As a former Jag mechanic friend of mine put it: "Jag spends more time engineering the wood on the dash then they do on the drivetrain"
33.gif

2004 F-150 XLT 2wd 4.6l, 60k miles B+
Does everything I ask it but the bed is 1" too short to fit a dirtbike with the tailgate up. Gas mileage could be better since the 5.4 has much more hp with the same MPG. Certain parts are unique and expensive while others are common old standbys. OEM shocks were too soft even when new and OEM tires are an odd size. Interior is very nice and comfortable. I like the square clean style inside and out.

2002 Mazda Protege5 B+
Handles great, power is decent but could use more than 130 hp. It will not break 30 mpg but will repeatedly get 29 mpg. Been very reliable with only an annoying tiny oil leak from the cam seals. Parts are reasonably priced and common. Interior is nice but basic. This car is more of a late 1990's style/engineered car than a 2000's and was only sold in NA for 2 years. It is absolutely the right car for my wife's uses.

A tale of two: Two 2008 RAV4 V-6's front wheel drive. Both bought new one year apart. Her's in Dec of '07, mine in Jan of '09, both built in Japan. Less than 50 miles on both when purchased.

Hers: Faultless, only back to dealer for oil changes. Yes, the dealer does the oil changes on both. Not a squeak, rattle, nothing but a pleasure. A+

Mine: Quite a few initial problems including poor A/C which isn't funny where I live. Dealer has kept the car up to two weeks at a time and provided a loaner. Much of the problem was with the dealer I must admit. Most items eventually repaired, some items Toyota is aware of and has no repair or TSB. A/C was contaminated from factory, now blows 38º. C+

I am still pleased with the car but the differences (problems) between two almost identical models with identical drivetrains was rather astounding.

Oh, the dealer uses Mobil 5000 5W30......
lol.gif

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe: B
Pros: Smooth ride, decent handling, good steering feel, smooth shifting transmission. Reliable, stout engine (2.2L OHV). Responsive steering, fairly quiet ride, large backseat

Cons: Lacking in power, 3-speed auto saps already limited power. engine drones on the highway, cheap interior bits, incredibly poor side impact rating. Oh, and it need more power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
05 Ford Crown Victoria 80K miles A+

99 Mercury Grand Marquis 200K miles A+ [last car I had]

88 Lincoln Town Car 300K miles A+ [car before the Grand Marquis]

The other 2 cars we have
05 Ford Crown Victoria and 07 Mercury Grand Marquis both get a A+

And the very next post...

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
I really doubt anyone here is going to fail there vehicles.

What perfect timing. Thanks CharlieJ.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

The other 2 cars we have

All this time and I just noticed that I used the wrong "their" in that post.
33.gif
33.gif

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

The other 2 cars we have

All this time and I just noticed that I used the wrong "their" in that post.
33.gif
33.gif

don't beat yourself up. mori is not here anymore to correct us all straight away.
28.gif

06 Ford Ranger 4.0-- A-
Only minuses are the brakes squeal and fuel economy. I had 1 warranty fix for a leaking transfer case seal. Good things are it has tons of power, excellent handling, great looks, and is a practical size.

94 Ford Explorer B+
Pros: Built like a tank, extremely reliable, fantastic in the snow, is THE reason I'm a Ford fan, and why I bought my Ranger.
Cons: loose steering, pretty bad handling, acceleration could be better (needs better gearing-- has 3.27s, should have either 3.73 or 4.10)
It's beginning to show it's age: has rust on rocker panels and front bumper, some peeling paint on the roof, cruise control, gas gauge, and passenger window don't work anymore. It's still been the most reliable vehicle my family has ever had, it's taken a ton of abuse and never complained one bit.

92 Honda Accord EX: B+
Pros: great build quality, great acceleration and pretty good handling.
Cons: clunky transmission, reliability has been just "OK"
This is the only car I have with a timing belt. I was not happy about spending over $700 to have this and a few other things replaced. It's needed repairs over the years, more than the Explorer, even though it's had a much easier life. Transmission can be downright annoying when you're creeping along in traffic. It will clunk into second gear as you're coasting, then you lightly tap on the gas and it jerks back to first.

96 Saturn SL2: C

Pros: It has better styling than the Corollas and Civics of that era.

CON: Something breaks about once-a-month. It consumes oil-- about 1 qt every 2500 miles, since day 1. Considering how much stuff I've replaced on this car, half of it is probably new.

92 Toyota Previa: A-

Pro: Reliability. The only trouble it has given me is the A/C-- and that was probably because it sat for nearly a year at a time without any use.

CON: A bit more difficult to work on due to the mid-engine layout.

Originally Posted By: jdeare
2001 Buick Regal LS: D-

Surprisingly small interior considering the size of the exterior. [censored] leather seating.

My Buick is a heap. This is most likely just my car, not Buicks in general.

It is exactly what I feel about my FIL's Buick Regal. Why make a car so big and so heavy that you need a 3.6L to move it, when you put in bulky seats that makes the practical interior space the same as a 93-97 Corolla? BTW, it cost 2x as much and the seat is worse, and accelerate about the same.

Same can be said about the Impala, so no, it is GM of last generation in general. Malibu is much nicer, not perfect, but several steps in the right direction.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

bristolweb4.jpg

Cool!

How did you get your van on the speedway? That would be fun to drive on......

Sorry for the late reply. It's called "Speedway in Lights". Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, they run a drive-through light show. The entire complex is lit up with lights. My parents-in-law live in southwest Virginia, and we're usually there for Thanksgiving. It's somewhat of a tradition now to pack the whole family in the van on Thanksgiving night, or the Friday night, and drive down to Bristol to see the lights.

http://www.bristolmotorspeedway.com/events/speedway_in_lights/

Of course, the only reason I go is to drive on the speedway. The family thinks I'm going to tip the van over. I drive it as far up on the banking as I can, and then of course hop out and take a pic.

bristolweb2.jpg

I would almost give it an A but I have to go with a B+ due to the hot weather pinging issue and delicate paint. It's been super reliable.

1999 Jeep Cherokee (4.0l) Grade A
versus
2006 Jeep Liberty (3.7l) Grade B

My wife prefers the higher seating position in the Liberty. Of course, I prefer the Cherokee. That's probably why she still thinks I'm a fine fellow!

1999 Jeep Cherokee 4WD Sport (107,000 miles)
thumbs_up.gif

1999.jeep.cherokee.5998-300x189.jpg

Pluses:

1. Very easy to reach the oil filter, drain plug and spark plugs.

2. Very trouble free; only major repair was a failed power window assembly on the driver's door. Blame that on the Illinois Tollway.

3. The original tires, Goodyear Wrangler RT/S, lasted over 64,000 miles. A bit noisy, but I replaced them with the same at our local Goodyear dealer when it was time.

4. Very roomy for a compact SUV. I believe the boxy dimensions really help. Driver's visibility, especially side and rear visibility, is excellent.

5. 16-18 mpg in mixed driving.

6. 22- 25 mpg on the highway, depending upon wind direction!

7. Uses no oil between changes.

8. I'm sorry that Chrysler/Jeep no longer makes this model. The latest model Liberty at least has more squarish dimensions.

9. I bought the Cherokee used with just over 9k miles from a local dealer.

10. Have driven hundreds of Interstate miles in the snow using 4WD. No problems with Command-Trac.

Minuses:

1. Lots of road noise. Some rattles and squeaks are beginning to appear, but that is to be expected.

2. Can't really think of any real negatives.

Grade A

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport (45,000 miles)
smile.gif

2006.jeep.liberty.20028324-300x189.jpg

Pluses:

1. Very, very quiet on the highway.

2. Excellent seating positions, even for the rear seat.

3. Anti-skid/anti-lock breaks very useful. The OEM Goodyear Wrangler ST tires probably call for the anti-skid features more than I would prefer. I will replace that model with something else when the time comes.

4. Handy split/folding rear seat arrangement. Fabric is somewhat difficult to keep clean.

4. Have driven hundreds of Interstate miles in the snow using 4WD. No problems with Command-Trac.

Minuses:

1. Mixed mileage: 16-18 mpg.

2. Highway mileage: 22-24 mpg. The Liberty weighs about 1,000 lbs more than the Cherokee.

3. Needs Zerk fittings.

4. Coil on plug setup makes me reluctant to change my plugs. Oil filter is very, very difficult to reach. Drain plug is positioned OK.

5. I bought the car used from a local Jeep dealer with 28k miles. I am working on an ARX sequence to get oil consumption back to reasonable numbers.

6. Only one keyed door on the car. The tailgate is not keyed. I am rely upon the remote door opener.

7. Very poor rear and side visibility.

Grade B contingent upon the success of the ARX treatment.

2008 Honda Ridgeline, 3.5L V6, 5-speed AT, 4WD (~12000 miles)

Pros: Cavernous interior, lots of storage space, powerful engine, in-bed trunk, comfortable seats, high quality interior, nice vehicle stability system and traction control, very quiet when cruising, excellent handling, so far very reliable, no oil use between changes

Cons: Seats stain rather easily, gas mileage OK at 20 mpg overall but not great

Grade: A

2002 Mazda MPV, 3.0L V6, 5-speed AT, FWD (~77,000 miles)

Pros: Decent power and acceleration, comfortable seats and interior, excellent handling, easy to maneuver and park, nice fold down rear seat and removable captain's chairs, decent gas mileage of 21 mpg around town and about 26 mpg on the highway, no oil use between changes

Cons: Minor issues with oxygen sensor (CEL light is on but have not replaced it yet since code reader indicates O2 sensor heater circuit (has not affected gas mileage), had leaky rear brake wheel cylinder, has coil on plugs which make it very difficult to change plugs, interior is a bit on the small side, a little bit of road noise

Grade: B+

2000 Saturn SL, 1.9L SOHC 4, 5-speed MT, FWD (~77000 miles)

Pros: Excellent gas mileage (about 39-40 mpg overall), very reliable, easy to work on, decent handling, easy to maneuver and park, space frame safety

Cons: Burns a little oil (about 1 qt every 2000 miles), interior is a bit cramped, seats not comfortable on long trips, very chintzy interior with rather poor quality components, a bit of road noise

Grade: B

I'd give the 2004 Lincoln LS an A+.

Not just because I have one!

The LS was the LAST mid size, V8, RWD car Lincoln made(And I fear will make)

The car is built on a Jaguar platform. And you can FEEL the euro influence to it.

It is a four door mid size sedan that drives like a sports coupe, has GREAT engine response, sound, and feel.

One of the first cars (if not thee first) with a push button E-Brake.

Yes. The interior has been price fixed by ford. Lots of plastic.

But what the car lacks in interior, it more than makes up for in driving experience. When you put the gas to the floor, you know without a doubt your in a V8 powered, rear wheel drive, finely tuned, euro inspired, machine. (With the class and sophistication of an Oxford grad.)

I'v had an M3. I'v had a Rx-8.
The LS is by far the best car I have had. It's hard to articulate in words how the car feels. But rest assured It feels GREAT!!!

Last edited:
2008 Toyota Sienna CE
D+

Pros:good engine and trans, lots of power, roomiest of the mini vans

cons:build quality is horrible, everything in the interior is cheap and rattles, bad cat converter at 3K miles req replacement, broken drivers seat at 28K and is broken again at 30K, horrible sound system, [censored] service at the dealer, the god foresaken cartrige oil filter

2008 Ford Taurus X 3.5 V6...wifes car

B+ Why B+? city mpg of 14mpg...AWD system on these cars are hard on tires....otherwise a great car no problems, practical.

2008 Ford Crown Vic my car....A+

A+ Great cars, reliable, room, power, fuel economy

1996 Ford F-150 4x4 302 V8
A....300,000k plus miles...enough said

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
2008 Toyota Sienna CE
A+

Pros: junky engine and trans, no power, uses oil, smallest of the mini vans, never starts.

cons: Build quality is horrible, everything in the interior is [censored] and rattles, bad cat converter at 3 miles req replacement, broken drivers seat at 28 miles and is broken again at 30 miles, horrible sound system, [censored] [censored] service at the dollar general repair shop, the god foresaken fram oil filters I use are hard to get off...

I feel sorry for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
2004 Subaru Legacy, purchased June '09. I've only put 6000 miles on this car, but boy is it nice! I bought it with 78,000 miles. This car is great on gas, 32 mpg highway, handles great, rides great, and feels very solid. The seats are very comfortable and overall, the ergonomics are nice. This is my first Subaru and I'm a convert! This car will make mince meat out of the Colorado winter too, no doubt.

One last thing, I really like the sound of the Suby boxer motor, its totally unique.
55.gif

A++

Last edited:
07 Mustang GT 5speed manual. Black with black leather.

A-

Pros - fun as [censored] to drive, sounds like a real sportscar, looks awesome, decent mileage 24 mpg. 1st and 3rd gears have insane pulling power. Stereo sounds great. Interior looks great to me but the wife said it looks kinda cheap.

Cons- 2nd gear is too big- although it is kinda neat to hit 65 in 2nd. The backend loses traction and kicks out while accelerating in turns...scared the [censored] outta me the first time it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back