Gotta love Minnesota..

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is -14C here (7F) right now. Got down to -18C last night (-0.5F). I'm surprised we are warmer up here in the GWN
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
what do you guys live in?? igloos??

I live in a quality Richmond American tract house, built by the finest labor that the local 7-11 parking lot had to offer.

That might account for why it's so drafty?

Quote:
what do you guys live in?? igloos??

Na, Igloos too warm!

As long as I have
36.gif
and the Microwave works, let er rip.

I'm on here 'cause the wife is watching another Sappy romance movie.
13.gif

Too warm to change oil. Maybe go Snowmobiling later or Ice fishing later today when it cools down.
05.gif

Last edited:
Love it here in Mn.

Get to take the truck out on the lake and river ice to go Ice Fishing, etc.

Just like in Grumpy Old Men - anyone remember that one?

What, it gets cold here in January? I'm always amazed that people make a big deal that is goes below zero in January. It's winter, and yep, it does this, virtually every year. No reason to change ones life around....

And I get amused at how obsessed people are with having to us synthetic oils in this climate. Dino 5w30 oils have served us well for years, and modern fuel injection systems have spoiled us. Frankly, I worry more about the battery than I do the oil. Heck, My Jeep Cherokee still has dino 10w30 in it right now, and it runs fine (though garaged here at home so it doesn't see the worst of the cold - garage runs about 30-40 degrees warmer than outside temp, though that still means its 20 degrees in there!

IOWA WINTER Poem

It's winter in Iowa
And the gentle breezes blow
Seventy miles an hour
At thirty-five below.

Oh, how I love Iowa
When the snow's up to your butt
You take a breath of winter
And your nose gets frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around
I could never leave Iowa
I'm frozen to the blasted ground!

It was about 10*F with 40-50mph wind gusts last night & this morning. It's going to be a cool week too.

I suppose it's still better than riding a quad or sled at 70 or 110 mph on a lake when it's cold out.

Polar Bear club had a good dip in Lake Michigan on JAN 1 dip temp of 9F when it gets to 0F or lower that separates the men from the boys. My coldest jump was 4F with -22 wind chill.

"My coldest jump was 4F with -22 wind chill."

Yikes, that must be a HUGE shock to the heart and nads.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MNgopher
What, it gets cold here in January? I'm always amazed that people make a big deal that is goes below zero in January. It's winter, and yep, it does this, virtually every year. No reason to change ones life around....

That's how I look at it. I think at least here in Chicago, the influx of newsmedia types from other parts of the country and their over-reaction anytime its cold or it snows is part of the problem... People have become such wimps around here. Sorry, but 2" of snow or 5 degrees below zero is no reason to lead off the 6:00 news.

We had something like 25 below a few times, as recently as 1994 if I remember right. Anything warmer than that shouldn't rate more than a passing mention on the local news.

Though news programs run every day, sometimes there is nothing to report.

I'll watch the lead stories. If it's some 'nothing' story, I'll realize that there is no news and not bother watching any further.

Every winter the same thought goes through my brain. With all the space on planet earth, why the heck did we build so many cities in areas that get cold and have snow in the winter? There is no civilization on Antarctica for a reason, man was simply not meant to be subjected to this cold weather nonsense. I just wish my ancestors had gotten on the boat headed to Florida, not up here in this cold climate. I'm kinda stuck here now.

FL gets cool at night but quickly warms up once the sun comes up. I don't mind cold weather but would hate to have to deal with snow and ice.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
FL gets cool at night but quickly warms up once the sun comes up. I don't mind cold weather but would hate to have to deal with snow and ice.

There were snow flurries in Miami and Fort Lauderdale last night as it was in the low 30's...There was also ice on cars in Coral Gables...It does not happen often but it happens...Should be around 80 by Thursday though.

Expect to pay more of oranges real soon as a lot of oranges got ruined in the last couple of days.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Every winter the same thought goes through my brain. With all the space on planet earth, why the heck did we build so many cities in areas that get cold and have snow in the winter? There is no civilization on Antarctica for a reason, man was simply not meant to be subjected to this cold weather nonsense. I just wish my ancestors had gotten on the boat headed to Florida, not up here in this cold climate. I'm kinda stuck here now.

I don't understand why people live in area that is colder than in a freezer ? Whenever you go outside you have to put on so much cloths that you're double your weight. Why not live where you can drive a convertible car with top down year-round ?

It would be a little jam-packed with wall-to-wall people if we all lived on So. Cal, Arizona or So. Fla...........
33.gif

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
It would be a little jam-packed with wall-to-wall people if we all lived on So. Cal, Arizona or So. Fla...........
33.gif

It already is jam-packed in some of those places. My parents lived and worked in So. Cal in the late sixties (that's where I was born), and thought it was paradise on earth, but moved back to the midwest in the early seventies for job reasons. My dad had the opportunity to take a job back in the same So. Cal area in the eighties, but only lasted a few months before he couldn't stand it anymore. Too many people jammed into too small of an area. Insane traffic and too many people that get the nasty disposition that seems to come with living in an overcrowded area.

Like the old Minnesota saying goes, "Forty below keeps the riff-raff out".
49.gif

i had a friend from MN and he said every year they would put a beater truck on the ice and have a pool as to when it would break through. I love the four seasons- i would go crazy living in the south. I did once- that is why i do not live there now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back