Gotta love Minnesota..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Low tonight here in St. Paul is -22F. For all you readers that reside in former British colonies, that equates to -30C. Northern MN is looking at lows of -33F tonight. Synthetic oil and a strong battery are almost mandatory in this kind of weather.

Going outside for more than 2 minutes requires full insulation, I walked 3 city blocks last night with a medium density base layer jacket and a Carhartt Arctic jacket with full hood outer layer, stocking cap and fleece lined heavy duty leather gloves, full boots with cotton sock base and wool sock over, and was STILL freezing.

It takes at LEAST 20 minutes of city driving before the car fully warmed up and blowing full heat. Car is reluctant to start, gas doesn't like to vaporize at these temps.

Inside of house windows are glazed over with ice, any sort of humidity inside the house freezes to them immediately. I have a pot of water boiling on the stove most of the night, and it's still dry in here. Opening the back door is like a blast freezer, you can see the water vapor condensing and freezing immediately as it escapes.

Not complaining here, we're pretty hearty people in MN and get used to it. Best thing to do in these temps is lay low and watch movies on my nice WARM couch. Just giving a picture of what these insane temps are like! Stay warm out there.

Also, it snowed like crazy here Christmas Eve and then was around 40F Christmas night, immediately followed by much colder temps. So all of the side roads are extremely rutted and icy, it's like a torture test for cars. Too cold for salt to work. City and state budget cuts have mandated snow plowing kept to a minimum, tough going out there!

now i know why you fellas prefer 5w-20 oils...

oh, post some pics...

oh and another thing - we are not a former british colony, we are still one! we are subjects of her majesty!

The forcast in Minneapolis is -16 with a high of +3 with useless sunshine. Thats what the Star/Tribune says this morning. I will not even attempt to start the car today and expect my battery won't freeze. cross my fingers.

Our winter here last year was the coldest that I remember with temps in the -2 to -5 without windchill. can not imagine the cold spell the residents in MN are having. hope that brutal cold breaks for you soon.

It was -2F on my thermometer this morning.
I just went out and started the '97 Accord, which spent the night in the driveway.
It cranked right up.
The Aero will be driven to work by my younger son, while my wife and I will take the '99 to Cincinnati to see a play (Cincinnati Shakespeare Festival).
The Subaru has been sitting in the relatvely cozy garage since Thursday night.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Glad I am in south FL and not dealing with those crazy -22 degree temps.

Me too! Well, I am in central FL near Orlando. But still I think it did get down below 40 here last night though. And it's pretty chilly right now, I guess about 45 or 50.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
Low tonight here in St. Paul is -22F. For all you readers that reside in former British colonies, that equates to -30C. Northern MN is looking at lows of -33F tonight. Synthetic oil and a strong battery are almost mandatory in this kind of weather.

We left just in time! Last year we were up there for christmas and had the same cold snap. Not fun.

I am very surprised at the amount of people that do not use synthetic oil up there. None of my girlfriends relatives do.

Of course you all are sending some of that cold our way. It was 12 degrees here. I'm so thankful for the propane fireplace. The heat never kicked on last night!

The case of Linenkugel in the garage is unfrozen, yet I bring one in and opened last night it immediately freezes opon contact with warm air.

It's 22 here as well. The big problem with these kinds of temperatures around here is that most of these houses around here are built and constructed for average 40F winter temperatures.

In 1977 I was in Minnesota and when I peed the second the pee hit the ground it froze solid. Minnesota sure is beautiful in the summer !!!

Quote:
we're pretty hearty people in MN and get used to it.

Yea, we snowbirds just south of ya, EH, in Iowa are only faring a few degrees warmer.

My Genset did start yesterday (test run) at -5F yesterday, so we're good.
thumbsup2.gif

It is just too cold in MN. It effects the human brain negatively so people from that state should never be taken seriously....too many has been comedians to wrestle with if you know what I mean.

what do you guys live in?? igloos??

It's 20 degrees here with a 9 degree wind chill. I couldn't stand it for five minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back