Got the ***** vaccine today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will get it when the VA has it.
It looks like a 50-50 on who will get it and who will not, this is from my Wife's Doctors survey of her Patients.

I wondered about that. So if you have had it and recovered, you still need to (should) vaccinate?
Yes. We're still learning about how long having antibodies from the virus and/or the vaccine will offer protection, though.
The main thing is, if enough people get vaccinated, the virus will be on the decline and not spreading rampantly.

I edited the post to remove that as I didn’t want steer in the wrong direction but I thought it was kinda funny that prisoners are in the phase before non-critical essential workers. I’m guessing prisons have breakouts of it.
I know and agree with your logic. I'll just never agree with the priority logic. Or most other 'bug' logic.

Everyone does realize it's not just a one-and-done shot, right?

And that it's longevity isn't known at all...

Not trying to upset/discourage/irritate anyone, and definitely not trying to turn anything political. I'm just relaying what I learned today and thought it was relevant to this thread.
While at present the longevity may be in question, there are ways to test blood to see if a person is still immune. As time goes by there will be more information about how long it lasts.

I am deathly afraid of needles. If I watch during a blood draw, I just might faint.
I would take the vaccine right now.

Regarding the order of vaccinations, the goal is to stop the virus.
Please stay safe so we can get back to our loved ones.

This sort of crosses over into medical advice. She didn’t see the need, but agreed to simply follow hospital policy.
I don't consider it medical advice when it's well covered in literature. It's unknown what level of antibodies you might have from a previous infection as it's variable. However if you read the studies, there are specific levels that were measured from people who got both doses so the standard protocol is to get the shot regardless of whether you had it or not as the known level of protection could be higher afterwards.

I know and agree with your logic. I'll just never agree with the priority logic. Or most other 'bug' logic.
While it seems wrong and the logic somewhat twisted, the basic fact is that the state is responsible for the well being of those in its care and they are getting badly infected just like some nursing homes. The point of distributing it is to stamp it out where it's highest.

This is exactly why I posted what I did. False sense of security. Just like the masks...
Nothing wrong with feeling like superman. Data indicates you get some protection a couple weeks after the first dose, but you don't get the full effect for up to 2 weeks after the 2nd dose. However they are still only 94.5-95% effective so you could be in the 5% group. That group while infected didn't have severe cases in the Moderna one and there was just one in the Pfizer one but they define severe as less than 93% oxygen saturation so may have not been that bad.

While it seems wrong and the logic somewhat twisted, the basic fact is that the state is responsible for the well being of those in its care and they are getting badly infected just like some nursing homes. The point of distributing it is to stamp it out where it's highest.
It's worse than that.
Being indoors in close confinement is a perfect storm for the virus.
These people will be released into the general public.

Precedence. There is a reason for it. Trust the science.

When it gets to the point that I cannot enter work or any store without having it, status displayed on the masks we have to wear if we have had it or not; then I will.

Until then, I'll put my mask on in a store or if I'm close talking to someone.. thanks.

I am deathly afraid of needles. If I watch during a blood draw, I just might faint.
I would take the vaccine right now.

Regarding the order of vaccinations, the goal is to stop the virus.
Please stay safe so we can get back to our loved ones.
I didn't use to watch either but I was talking to a phlebotomist once and he said he always looked to make sure they were doing it right so now I look. Then I find it out freaks out some nurses because they're afraid you're going to faint. Doesn't bother me at all though. Maybe I should stop though.

They got a vein once or main artery once or the
needle broke somehow once when I was giving plasma.. I lost a lot of blood.

I grew out of wanting to give plasma. I didn't really like how I felt after either.

Not sure when the last time I had a needle was.. maybe 2011 ??

I grew out of wanting to give plasma. I didn't really like how I felt after either.

Ouch that’s rough. I faint at the site of blood so I would of been freaking out lol.

Ouch that’s rough. I faint at the site of blood so I would of been freaking out lol.

I mean... well that was a long time ago but I don't believe I've ever seen anyone actually faint.

I wonder if that is the only way the vaccine will be administered.

I mean... well that was a long time ago but I don't believe I've ever seen anyone actually faint.

I wonder if that is the only way the vaccine will be administered.
Not sure. Just thinking of needles gives me the creeps lol. And blood don’t let me see blood ehhhhh creepy and makes my stomach turn.

I'm susceptible to anaphylaxis. Were there emergency medical personnel on hand?

Did you get the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine?
That is my problem also, a flue shot almost killed me (for real). I want to ask the allergist if they could possibly test it on my blood first like they did with everything else, the scratch test is too dangerous.

I probably get them every year at least, flu shot. Got the shingles shot last year. Some people I told about it weren't interested in getting it, then I told them about a co-worker who got shingles and lost the vision in one of his eyes. Now it's an empty socket. Then they end up getting it.

There is another reason. If a lot of prisoners get it and get really sick, they will have to be hospitalized. That is a huge drain on the prison and medical system and takes beds away from us on the outside. You don't want to have something go wrong with you and have the hospital tell you, Sorry, no bed for you. All taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back