Got new tires!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'd had enough of driving on snow tires/wheels in June
shocked2.gif

Finally got the time and money together, and had the original 17" wheels refurbished (un bent, media blasted, powdercoated)
I had a very bad experience with the then new Michelin Premier A/S's I bought at Costco
28k, and they were even slicks, neither Costco or Michelin wanted to help
I was a big fan of the Primacy MXV4, but that burn hurt too much, so Continental it is
I'm happy with my WinterContact Si's, thought there summers can't be half bad?
It's there ExtremeContact DWS 06, in a 215/55/ZR17 94W, a popular size for Toyota
I had the one passable remaining Michelin put as the spare, better then my old 2005 era Bridgestone Turanza with a dozen nails and cut up sidewall
You don't get a full size spare anymore, gonna miss that in my next car
frown.gif

Gonna need an alignment shortly, want to get my new OEM lower control arms and ball joints in first

Book time my shop said was 8.x hours, @ $135 an hour, despite the fact that anyone who's worked on a FWD Toyota knows that getting the engine mount out of the way means you can have one side out in under an hour, but the book is the book
crazy2.gif

Hope I get better life out of these (they start with a true 10/32 new)

And there's currently a $70 rebate on from Conti, bringing my OTD price to sub $800

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Certain models of Michelin tires not lasting any where near their rating has been reported on here several times.

Last edited:
I have Conti DWS 06 tires on my Chevy SS Sport Sedan. 44,800 miles so far and plenty of life/tread left.

I will buy another set when needed.

New tires are awesome! Just got a set of Continental TrueContact's for my Sonata. Very happy with them, keep us posted with how they turn out.

I had Michelin A/S's on two of my cars and only got 1/2 life out of one set of them and got a new set at 1/2 price. You need to get your tires from a dealer that will take care of you. If this set only last 1/2, I'll gladly take another set at a 50% discount.

Originally Posted by michaelluscher

Book time my shop said was 8.x hours, @ $135 an hour, despite the fact that anyone who's worked on a FWD Toyota knows that getting the engine mount out of the way means you can have one side out in under an hour, but the book is the book
crazy2.gif

If he uses Prodemand, there is a new labor time for front control arm r/r without engine removal. The revised labor time is 3.0 hours + alignment.

lca.PNG

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Is it just me, or is that outer rib already cupped?

It's just you.

DWS 06 is an awesome tire, as was the DWS before it.

Originally Posted by michaelluscher

Finally got the time and money together, and had the original 17" wheels refurbished (un bent, media blasted, powdercoated)

You are a city dweller, not exactly far from me. May I ask, where did you get wheels 'unbent' and how much you paid? I have a big dent on one of the wheels and considering getting a new wheel. The other two have not quickly noticeable dent.

Originally Posted by CKN
Certain models of Michelin tires not lasting any where near their rating has been reported on here several times.

Indeed, although in this case, if the LCA and balljoints are bad, I'm not sure it's all Michelin's fault. I mean I still don't like 'em but have to call a spade a spade.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I had Michelin A/S's on two of my cars and only got 1/2 life out of one set of them and got a new set at 1/2 price. You need to get your tires from a dealer that will take care of you. If this set only last 1/2, I'll gladly take another set at a 50% discount.

I currently have them on the Sonata and I'm underwhelmed.

Had to get a flat fixed a couple of weeks ago and the guy at Discount Tire noted that they were at about 5/32. I've only put about 36,000 miles on a 60,000 mile tire so it looks like I'll be getting some sort of pro-rated replacements soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back