My new car tires stink, what to replace them with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tirerack says that the OE tire is the GY Assurance Fuel Max. I see why you're unhappy with them, as they must be rock hard by now.

If you're not turned off by GY, the Assurance Comfortread is a good upgrade from the Fuel Max. Or even the Touring, as the regular Comfortread is not available in your size.

I'd go for

cs5 ultra or grand
Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus
primacy MXM4
Premier A/S

Id go with the cooper cs tires or else the primacy mxm4 which we've been really pleased with in rain and snow.

Put those OEM tires on craigslist, someone will give you $100 for them.

The OEM goodyears on the matrix were very poor.

However, the RAV4 came with a set of Dunlops that has been very good so far.

I would not recommend Michelin MXV4's. I just took a set off my Corolla with 52K on it, and after running Winter tires for a few months, couldn't bring myself to put them back on. They probably have 30K of tread left on them, but they are noisy and have awful wet and snow traction.

I just put on a new set of Continental PureContact (with EcoPlus!) I got cheap at DTD/Ebay, and I'm very happy so far (only a few days now). Quiet, smooth, and excellent wet traction. The MXV4's were OK for 30K miles then went downhill fast. I really hated them the last 10K miles.

I have Michelin Defenders on all 3 of my cars. They are a quiet ride, great in the snow and so far tread life has been fantastic. I have 18,000 miles on a set and at my last servuce visit, the tired had just over 9/32 tred left. They clearly arent performance tires, but they are quiet and the highway ride is fantastic, it was a big upgrade and the price wasnt bad.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
cs5; why pay for advertising and race sponsership when a documented well performing tire can be had for less $

If the value proposition is a main goal along with the comfort and wet weather capabilities then I would agree that the Cooper CS5s are very nice tires for the money.

Originally Posted By: d4d
The Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus has gotten good reviews on TR and on TN Forums. The Camry has the same size tire.

Later this year, I will probably replace my factory Bridgestone's with a different tire. Originally I was thinking about a Michelin Defender or Premier but online reviews show multiple reports of premature wear on the Michelin's and/or dissatisfied customers. Hard for me to believe since I have never had a bad Michelin tire on any vehicle I have owned ??

Right now, the Pirelli looks pretty good as I continue to research the issue. Will consider Conti's too since my SIL works for them and can get me a good discount.
grin.gif

+1 on the Pirelli's
Have about 2K on the P7 A/S plus's that I put on my Accord.
Have been impressed so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back