Got new tires!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are DWS (Dry Wet Snow) all-season tires. I like the additional wear indicators towards the in and outside of the tread. Do all Contis have those now?

Originally Posted by Nick1994
New tires are awesome! Just got a set of Continental TrueContact's for my Sonata. Very happy with them, keep us posted with how they turn out.

FWIW: Let' hope things work out better for you than what I'm experiencing. I put Continental PureContact tires on my '12 Optima. I do 4-wheel alignments and balance/rotate every 5K miles. They are now at the wear bars at about 30K miles on them (70K mile warranty). I bought these via CarID with rims. While they drive great, I've had a very bad taste in my mouth for the tire life. I am having a similar experience with Pirelli Cinturato P7's on the wife's Rogue. ~30K miles is all about I seem to get even with relentless 4-wheel alignments and tire rotation (35psi). NOT happy!

What's up with today's all season tires???

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
Originally Posted by Nick1994
New tires are awesome! Just got a set of Continental TrueContact's for my Sonata. Very happy with them, keep us posted with how they turn out.

FWIW: Let' hope things work out better for you than what I'm experiencing. I put Continental PureContact tires on my '12 Optima. I do 4-wheel alignments and balance/rotate every 5K miles. They are now at the wear bars at about 30K miles on them (70K mile warranty). I bought these via CarID with rims. While they drive great, I've had a very bad taste in my mouth for the tire life. I am having a similar experience with Pirelli Cinturato P7's on the wife's Rogue. ~30K miles is all about I seem to get even with relentless 4-wheel alignments and tire rotation (35psi). NOT happy!

What's up with today's all season tires???

Tire wear is largely due to driving conditions as well. Curvy roads, city driving, stop and go, rough roads, old pavement etc.

But that's what a tread life warranty is for. If you're at the wear bars that means your next set is 58% off

Originally Posted by opus1
Originally Posted by Gebo
I had Michelin A/S's on two of my cars and only got 1/2 life out of one set of them and got a new set at 1/2 price. You need to get your tires from a dealer that will take care of you. If this set only last 1/2, I'll gladly take another set at a 50% discount.

I currently have them on the Sonata and I'm underwhelmed.

Had to get a flat fixed a couple of weeks ago and the guy at Discount Tire noted that they were at about 5/32. I've only put about 36,000 miles on a 60,000 mile tire so it looks like I'll be getting some sort of pro-rated replacements soon.

Those tires start at only 8.5/32, which means at 5/32 you've got 42% of your tread left before you're at 2/32". At 10,285 miles per 1/32 of tread used, you've still got almost 31,000 miles left. Likely more since tire tread compound gets harder the lower the tread gets.

Originally Posted by CKN
Certain models of Michelin tires not lasting any where near their rating has been reported on here several times.

Premier A/S is main culprit.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by CKN
Certain models of Michelin tires not lasting any where near their rating has been reported on here several times.

Premier A/S is main culprit.

That is their only downside. They are otherwise, a fantastic all-season.

A tire that does not last long is NOT a "bad" tire.

..... since tire tread compound gets harder the lower the tread gets.
Three times for me, Hankook tires wore well for 20,000 miles(making me think they would get 50,000 miles), but wore quickly after that, never reaching 36,000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by litesong
Originally Posted by The Critic
A tire that does not last long is NOT a "bad" tire.
Can tell you're a rich man.

You don't have to be rich to have a grippy short-life tire.

I've not yet had the "pleasure" of attempting to get Continental or Pirelli to honor their tire warranty programs but from talk around the water cooler, finding hen's teeth seems more productive.

I've not much faith in their warranty programs.

Question: Can anybody relate their experiences with doing this? What worked well, what did not, etc.?

Originally Posted by Pew
But, you have to be rich, to continually buy short-lived tires & call them "good".

..... since tire tread compound gets harder the lower the tread gets.
Three times for me, Hankook tires wore well for 20,000 miles(making me think they would get 50,000 miles), but wore quickly after that, never reaching 36,000 miles.

I have never had tires last more than 25,000 miles on a passenger car.

Originally Posted by Pew
But, you have to be rich, to continually buy short-lived tires & call them "good".

Depends upon how to you define rich.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by Pew

Also depends on how you define "short-lived" in the context of the advertised treadlife warranty. Fer instance, the TrueContacts on my Corolla are allegedly a 90K-mile tire. I expected closer to 60K. Turns out it will be more like 40K, if I run them down to the nub. Common story with this otherwise very good tire.

I would not expect the full warranty treadlife from any tire, nor would I expect a performance tire to keep up its, er, performance after it wears down more than halfway. But part of the price premium for Continental or moreso Michelin is the advertised treadlife. I am starting to think in some cases they just flat-out make that up.

Originally Posted by vavavroom

Brother!!!!
;^)
This has also been the case with me for the past 20 years or so.
I enjoy driving too much in dry conditions without oppressive traffic for my summer tires to last very long...I also replace them way before I start having issues in heavy rain.
I also tend to replace my snow tires early because I figure running those with a low tread depth is probably not any better than running all seasons that are not as worn down...it also seems like the siping will tend to disappear well before the tread gets near 3/32nd or whatever is the limit for passing inspection.

Originally Posted by Pew

Short-lived tires on the context of what? RE71s, RS4, and other 200TW tires are relatively short lived and have unsurpassed performance for a street-legal tire. Plenty of "poor" people can afford them, and many do. Go to a trackday and you'll see.

Normal passenger car tires maybe but it's a well-known generalization that grippy tires have softer treads and don't last very long. It's a trade-off and always has been.

Short lived tires get used on a track all the time, $400 or so a tire and lasting only a couple of races .. LOL

IMHO, regular road tires life should match where you drive to last about 5 years. Example - hwy tire with 15K miles a year driven should last 75K miles.
If you drive 5K miles a year then you can get a tire lasting only 25-35K miles giving you softer compound and much better grip on dry and wet roads.

Originally Posted by vavavroom
I've not had good luck with store-bought new tire longevity, either, despite my easy driving to get good to excellent MPG. However, OE Dunlop SP tires on a car with a CVT transmission did give 53,000 miles with extra tread remaining. Three & a half years of easy Hyundai Elantra driving with present Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds have given 40,000 miles with 20,000(+?) miles worth of tread remaining. New excellent quality tire prices have splayed high & wide open tho, which has made me explore "used" tires. $50 for four used Mastercraft 440 tires have given 30,000 miles with another 10,000 miles(+?) remaining. I've even gotten free (that's right... nothing) tires that gave 12,000 miles & I have other free tires lined up, with lots of tread that should fly past 20,000 miles. People have great tires in their garages they need to sell cheap or give away.

Originally Posted by faramir9
the TrueContacts on my Corolla are allegedly a 90K-mile tire.....it will be more like 40K.....Common story with this otherwise very good tire.
Some complain about the TrueContacts. Some people have gone past 100,000 miles.

Originally Posted by supton
I'll let poor people define rich. Some rich people don't think themselves rich. because they "need" a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back