Got new tires!

Joined
Oct 7, 2012
Messages
4,066
Location
Staten Island, NY
Well, I'd had enough of driving on snow tires/wheels in June shocked2 Finally got the time and money together, and had the original 17" wheels refurbished (un bent, media blasted, powdercoated) I had a very bad experience with the then new Michelin Premier A/S's I bought at Costco 28k, and they were even slicks, neither Costco or Michelin wanted to help I was a big fan of the Primacy MXV4, but that burn hurt too much, so Continental it is I'm happy with my WinterContact Si's, thought there summers can't be half bad? It's there ExtremeContact DWS 06, in a 215/55/ZR17 94W, a popular size for Toyota I had the one passable remaining Michelin put as the spare, better then my old 2005 era Bridgestone Turanza with a dozen nails and cut up sidewall You don't get a full size spare anymore, gonna miss that in my next car frown Gonna need an alignment shortly, want to get my new OEM lower control arms and ball joints in first Book time my shop said was 8.x hours, @ $135 an hour, despite the fact that anyone who's worked on a FWD Toyota knows that getting the engine mount out of the way means you can have one side out in under an hour, but the book is the book crzy Hope I get better life out of these (they start with a true 10/32 new) And there's currently a $70 rebate on from Conti, bringing my OTD price to sub $800 [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
 

CKN

Joined
Oct 14, 2014
Messages
9,678
Location
Utah
Certain models of Michelin tires not lasting any where near their rating has been reported on here several times.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Jan 16, 2006
Messages
1,788
Location
Ruidoso, NM USA
I have Conti DWS 06 tires on my Chevy SS Sport Sedan. 44,800 miles so far and plenty of life/tread left. I will buy another set when needed.
 

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2023
Joined
Feb 19, 2013
Messages
15,537
Location
Phoenix, AZ
New tires are awesome! Just got a set of Continental TrueContact's for my Sonata. Very happy with them, keep us posted with how they turn out.
 
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
5,752
Location
VA
I had Michelin A/S's on two of my cars and only got 1/2 life out of one set of them and got a new set at 1/2 price. You need to get your tires from a dealer that will take care of you. If this set only last 1/2, I'll gladly take another set at a 50% discount.
 
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
28,731
Location
CA
Originally Posted by michaelluscher
Book time my shop said was 8.x hours, @ $135 an hour, despite the fact that anyone who's worked on a FWD Toyota knows that getting the engine mount out of the way means you can have one side out in under an hour, but the book is the book crzy
If he uses Prodemand, there is a new labor time for front control arm r/r without engine removal. The revised labor time is 3.0 hours + alignment.

lca.PNG
 
Joined
Dec 24, 2011
Messages
12,948
Location
North Carolina
Originally Posted by Propflux01
Is it just me, or is that outer rib already cupped?
It's just you. DWS 06 is an awesome tire, as was the DWS before it.
 
Joined
Mar 1, 2012
Messages
757
Originally Posted by michaelluscher
Finally got the time and money together, and had the original 17" wheels refurbished (un bent, media blasted, powdercoated)
You are a city dweller, not exactly far from me. May I ask, where did you get wheels 'unbent' and how much you paid? I have a big dent on one of the wheels and considering getting a new wheel. The other two have not quickly noticeable dent.
 
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
20,917
Location
NH
Originally Posted by CKN
Certain models of Michelin tires not lasting any where near their rating has been reported on here several times.
Indeed, although in this case, if the LCA and balljoints are bad, I'm not sure it's all Michelin's fault. I mean I still don't like 'em but have to call a spade a spade.
 
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
3,320
Location
Chicago Area
Originally Posted by Gebo
I had Michelin A/S's on two of my cars and only got 1/2 life out of one set of them and got a new set at 1/2 price. You need to get your tires from a dealer that will take care of you. If this set only last 1/2, I'll gladly take another set at a 50% discount.
I currently have them on the Sonata and I'm underwhelmed. Had to get a flat fixed a couple of weeks ago and the guy at Discount Tire noted that they were at about 5/32. I've only put about 36,000 miles on a 60,000 mile tire so it looks like I'll be getting some sort of pro-rated replacements soon.
 
Top