Got My Truck Ready To Handle Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
And it never came. We had a nasty second half of November and the forecasts were calling for a snowy winter, so I bought seven bags of sand
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-60-lb-Tube-Sand-115960/100318522
Triple bagged it and tied rope around each one for easy handling.
Put them in my shed and waited for the heavy snow to arrive to load them into my truck. However, after the nasty late fall snow, it has been a pretty mild winter. So the bags stayed in my shed all winter.
I park on a heavily sloped street and my neighbours will back up their cars to within a foot of the front bumper of the truck. All drive front wheel drive cars and they never give a second thought to traction on a slope. I have snow tires ( Michelin X Ice)but with 2WD it is not easy inching back up the slope. Weight transfer on a downhill slope works against traction when it is RWD, helps FWD cars.
At least I am all set for next winter.

IMG_0165.JPG

Last edited:
I mounted two sets of brand new cooper snow tires. This mild winter is my fault!

Pickup trucks have a huge appeal regards utility but I always think to myself that there should be some weight over the driven wheels - this thread confirms it
smile.gif

Olas in Manchester said: "...there should be some weight over the driven wheels...".

Welcome to the world of pick up trucks!

But seriously, bags or trays of sand have always been Winter gear.
One bonus feature is that you can shovel some of the sand to add grip to a stuck motorist.

I knew one fellow who installed aggressively treaded tires on the rear of his truck

We've had lots of snow this year. I'm getting tired of the snow, ice, and salt on the roads. I would move, but it's nice the rest of the year.

I've used the Lowes bags for 2 seasons. I don't have them in any other bags. They are stored in hot shed over the summer, and haven't split open yet.

I bought three of the seven bags from Lowes and the bags looked really weak. So I got empty sand bags from Amazon and put two more bags over each original bag, for a total of three bags each.
Is this the exact one you have?

tube sand.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back