Got a plain thermostat or a fancy one in your house?

your electric company offers for practrically nothing so they can overide it via internet during those high demand days in the summer time.
Show cases of that actually happening or suggesting they would do this. I think you're confusing a "smart meter" with a "smart thermostat". The utilities don't have access to our t-stat.

So I have a basic older style digital thermostat.
My daughter has a new Ecobee.
My mom and step dad have a super fancy Goodman do everything one.

What kind do you have/like?
I like simple basic performance. After much research I bought a Lux 9600. Dial it in how you like, or run it out of the box. I would buy another. I think I paid around $60.

If you don't need a new one you'll never have to worry about going to great lengths to get rid of the mercury thermo. It will outlast you.

I still have it stored in a Ziploc bag. It wasn't working well (I think it was about 30 years old with the calibration way out) and I replaced it. Actually replaced the replacement when it stopped working too. But I could just toss that one in the trash but can't just toss something with a mercury capsule.

My replacement is as basic as they come. Just a simple manual setting with a bimetal coil and no thermometer dial. The Honeywell temperature controls on my water heater are more advanced than this.

honeywell-yct30a1003-heat-only-non-programmable-thermostat.jpg

I grew up with mercury switch thermostats. I'd take off the cover and watch it work with an intentional trip. I'd see it spark. There's also this really weird sound if I manually turned the setting and the mercury bounced a bit. I could hear the sound of the furnace turning on and off about 2 to 3 times until it finally turned on or off.

I've installed a digital thermostat at another house, but I didn't really need anything fancy for this one.

With three people in the house working different shifts there was no point in having a programmable stat.
Similar situation here but it's not a permanent thing so I'm still glad I bought our smart one.
Had one but it was a pain the rear.
Can't imagine how... You don't have to set up programming times/temperatures, just use it like a dumb thermostat. Or, program in a single entry (6am to 5:59am, 70ºF or whatever you want) and override it as needed.

Been using programmable electronic thermostats for years.

Last time the furnace was replaced, they installed a White-Rogers unit that probably has the most inaccurate clock of any electronic device I've ever owned. But it works ok otherwise.

Don't have the need for a connected thermostat, or a "smart" one, but if I did, I'd choose one that can work with remote sensors, like the Ecobee, but skip the Alexa model. No desire for live mics or cameras inside my domain.

When I looked at the house it had one of the old dial type thermostats. Then someone replaced it with a basic programmable thermostat. that thing is the biggest pain ever. Would be more than happy to go back to an older style one!

We have been using a Radio Thermostat of America Wifi thermostat for about 10 years now, it has been phenomenal. I originally got it to because it had a nice wide adjustable differential setting for commanding the auxiliary heat on our heat pump. I have made additional modifications to the controller so this functionality doesn't matter much anymore, though I still like the tstat for its other features.

When I looked at the house it had one of the old dial type thermostats. Then someone replaced it with a basic programmable thermostat. that thing is the biggest pain ever. Would be more than happy to go back to an older style one!
Buy this. The cheapest non programable. $20 In any big box store. No backlight, no nothing. But mine has worked for 10 years flawlessly. I don’t need to know what my temperature requirements will be in 10 days. To each his own.

Attachments

• D0CFEDD6-69FA-4908-9ADD-12B464700ACC.jpeg
    D0CFEDD6-69FA-4908-9ADD-12B464700ACC.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 10
I have the programmable version of that. It's terrible. It knows the worst time to kill the battery. I replace every fall and somehow, it still dies at the worst time.

I dunno. The non programable has been good for me. Maybe battery brand? Or the programmable eats batteries?
This Mickey Mouse tstat that I have pictured simply works.

Buy this. The cheapest non programable. $20 In any big box store. No backlight, no nothing. But mine has worked for 10 years flawlessly. I don’t need to know what my temperature requirements will be in 10 days. To each his own.
That looks like the one the wife picked up; I never installed it, as I thought it poorly designed. It took huge force to separate the mounting plate from the guts, like you'd have to all but rip it off the wall every time the batteries need a change.

At the moment we don't have smart thermostats, now what we're home 24/7 it just doesn't seem useful. But the last house we did have one, it was nice. Turn the heat down when we were gone, during the week. Have it bump for when we first get up in the morning, maybe at 8pm, then let it drop by 9. Not a bad thing.

In the future I'll probably get one that is on the WiFi. As much as I don't like smart things, it would be nice to "check up" on the house when I'm not home.

So I have a basic older style digital thermostat.
My daughter has a new Ecobee.
My mom and step dad have a super fancy Goodman do everything one.

What kind do you have/like?
Had a Nest almost fried my compressor.

Nest here; IDK its got so many features for this simple guy :)

we just got it caught up in that tehn. frenzy that's why we got it; do you needed, definitely NO

That looks like the one the wife picked up; I never installed it, as I thought it poorly designed. It took huge force to separate the mounting plate from the guts, like you'd have to all but rip it off the wall every time the batteries need a change.

At the moment we don't have smart thermostats, now what we're home 24/7 it just doesn't seem useful. But the last house we did have one, it was nice. Turn the heat down when we were gone, during the week. Have it bump for when we first get up in the morning, maybe at 8pm, then let it drop by 9. Not a bad thing.

In the future I'll probably get one that is on the WiFi. As much as I don't like smart things, it would be nice to "check up" on the house when I'm not home.
Yes. Everyone’s experience is different. I found a touch of lubricant (Vaseline) on the touch points makes removing the front plate relatively easy. Look.it depends.For me, retired with two people home all day a programmable is a PITA. For commuters who want to crank up the heat from their phone prior to arrival it’s a blessing. To each...

House came with fancy and an awesome 21 seer high end lennox signature series HVAC unit.

I/we dont use much of its capability.

IMG_1200.jpeg
IMG_1199.jpeg

Ecobee4,
Frost control, auto adjusting of humidity..... determined by your window efficiency
is the single most useful feature.
Afaik no other thermostats have this.

Last edited:
Back