Do you have a smart or dumb thermostat?

I have a smart thermostat named Robyn. I never need to adjust it and if I did there would be a finger correcting my dumb thermostat idea.

Basic $30 Honeywell thermostat.

I have no desire to come home from work to a hot house in the summer. So what’s the point?

If I let it warm up during the day, then it would have to cool the house back down in 110* heat during my electricity peak hours from 4-7pm.

Heat Pump is controlled w/an app from anywhere I'm at or hand held remote at home. The propane furnace is a simple milli-volt thermostat.

Aside from these thermostats the utility can control, hotel thermostats are the same. Woke up sweating and threw the thing on the lamp just to get some cool air and sleep.

Zq4atNM.jpg

TalQ8A5.jpg

Aside from these thermostats the utility can control, hotel thermostats are the same. Woke up sweating and threw the thing on the lamp just to get some cool air and sleep.

Zq4atNM.jpg

TalQ8A5.jpg
Our tool and die guys at work do the same for their office lol… my smart thermostat was not bought with any utility rebates so they have absolutely no say over what I do with it nor do they know I have one.

My LUX thermostat seems to run off the 24V the furnace gives off. The AA batteries in it carry the programming through power outages, and last a really long time.
I have a LUX thermostat too, 7 day programmable. I use it in the manual mode. Main reason I like the LUX is because it has adjustable temperature swing or differential. As far as I know LUX is the only brand that has that feature.

There is "dumb" then there is programable without the "smart" and after that comes "smart"

I have a programable without the smart Z-Wave thermostat for maximum energy savings.
I set the thermostat and we live by the settings. No turning it up or down is someone is hot or someone chilly. It's set to recognized standard comfort zones. You can also do this with a dumb thermostat for max savings.

Winter = 63 at night when sleeping, 73 daytime, Summers 72/73 nighttime sleeping, 76/78 daytime
When away from the house it gets turned way down in the winter or way higher in the summer. That is where the Z-Wave (wifi can also do the same) comes in, if I forget to turn down the stat, I pull up the app on my phone, and within maybe 15 seconds adjust it.

2. I would propose that most people using so called "Smart" Thermostats other than the programmable and accessible mentioned above. Waste more energy than they think they may save and that is ok. They use "Smart" not to save money, whether they know it or not but to be most comfortable. By this I mean, outdoor sensors to turn up the heat sooner if its really cold outside or the AC on earlier than programmed if its hot outside.
Other sensors to sense when you are in the room OR sensors that get placed in other rooms to level out the overall temperature in the home instead of just living with it. This is all ok, I am NOT knocking it, but I look at "Smart" for people using these features, it's about matching air temperature to how you dress and to your liking for instant gratification. Repeat, that is fine, it's a luxury item but they are promoted as energy saving. Sorry but a dumb stat or programable stat is the energy saver for most the public except for the very few that actually try to use a "smart" stat to save money. It's doable, Im just suggesting most people have to no clue to properly do that and when they do, its not saving any more money than the others. But the corporations selling them are making boatloads on them AND selling (or using) your personal information.

I have a LUX thermostat too, 7 day programmable. I use it in the manual mode. Main reason I like the LUX is because it has adjustable temperature swing or differential. As far as I know LUX is the only brand that has that feature.
Many allow this, buried in the programming though, typically under the "installer" programming but not always, Ex. Many Honeywells allow this.

Ecobee Premium. It works fantastic. I probably did what you aren't supposed to do and mounted it to the wall next to the furnace enclosure so I wouldn't have to run wires.

I have a LUX that's about 20 years old. Bought a newer one but don't like it as well so put the old one back on. But only use it for AC and fan if I need it.

I ran it for years with no 24v ground. It will run off the batteries for a long long time.

Older programmable for us.

My utility is offering a killer deal on smart thermostats. Other then the cooler looks I don't think we would benefit much. We are on different schedules and don't have a set number of hours where we are both sleeping or out of the house to allow lower temps. I don't use the programming now as it is

So which do you have? Name of smart thermostat and if you like it.
I have had a couple of Nest thermostats although I haven't switched the dumb thermostatus out at our 2022 build house yet. I will eventually.

The best thing about them is being able to change your thermostat without getting out of bed, assuming that you keep your cell phone on the nightstand like I do. The 2nd best thing is being able to turn them down remotely when you forget before going on vacation. Another good thing that the Nest and some of the other platforms have is remote sensors, we kept the temperature set at the thermostat in the main part of the house during the day, but at night we would run it off of the remote sensor in our bedroom.

I tried using the geolocation at our prior house but it didn't work very well for us. I think the unit was undersized for the house, and if you turned down the AC when leaving for the office in the summer, it had a hard time catching up when we got home. So we left it on the set point all the time in the summer. This feature would probably work better if you lived in a more moderate climate, in addition to having an AC appropriately sized for the house.

We have a Honeywell T9 for the sole purpose of once I’m comfortable in bed I am not walking back downstairs to change the thermostat if I deem it uncomfortable. Other than that, it’s on a temperature “hold” 24/7, which means it otherwise operates as a basic dumb thermostat. It does log runtime and tell me when the filter needs changed. You can also change the filter change interval, based on “days of runtime”.

I can also set the fan to “circulate” mode which will turn on just the fan on and off occasionally to move air through the house. That alone has helped tremendously, with the other thermostat you had off, auto (fan would only kick on when it calls for heat/AC), and on (fan runs constantly). The upstairs would end up boiling hot, ground floor fairly comfortable, and downstairs pretty chilly in the winter regardless of the season.

I can also compare years. Last year in July the average high in my area was 76F with 5 days of rain, 15 days of cloudy, and 11 sunny days. 2023 was an average of 77F, 4 days of rain, 6 cloudy days, and 21 sunny days. But I cut my AC usage by over 30 hours by tinting the windows in the front of my house that face east.
View attachment 193429
I have that one too. Mostly because I'm not home 3 weeks out of every 6 so it'll alert if the heat isn't working.
It stays at 68 year round. Might shut off a few days in July or August, about it.

My PA 4br house had 2 Nest thermostats, heat pump and NG 175,000 BTU furnace.

I was able to keep the house at 50ºF when not there in the winter. Which was as low as I dare, didn't want pipes to freeze.

While it's nice to think it saved money, it didn't seem to make much difference. The heating bills were still $600 per month.

I use Ecobee, but I don't connect it to the wifi. The only complaint I have is that is runs fast

It is super convenient since its programmed to be lower when you're away, sleeping etc.

Back