Do you have a smart or dumb thermostat?

Very problematic.
Negative ghost rider.

All problems can be traced back to the human using it like any electronic device unless it really was a dud from day one. That being said there are just circumstance where even an Ecobee won't work but Nest gets the brunt because it is the most known.

I personally have one going on 4ish years, I think. Flawless but I also made sure I have a C wire. As far as the utility company controlling it. They can't only suggest I lower my energy usage during peak demand times. I can easily override it.

Screenshot_20231218-193655.jpg
Screenshot_20231218-193850.jpg
Screenshot_20231218-193818.jpg

I have a dumb one on my geothermal system which works very well for me. I put it where I feel best which can vary through the day.

Negative ghost rider.

All problems can be traced back to the human using it like any electronic device unless it really was a dud from day one. That being said there are just circumstance where even an Ecobee won't work but Nest gets the brunt because it is the most known.

I personally have one going on 4ish years, I think. Flawless but I also made sure I have a C wire. As far as the utility company controlling it. They can't only suggest I lower my energy usage during peak demand times. I can easily override it.

View attachment 193696View attachment 193697View attachment 193698
Those of us in the hvac world would strongly disagree. Just because yours has been trouble free doesn't mean they all are.

I haven’t had any problems I’ve used it with google home and now on Alexa all integrated just fine. On the hardware side or software side you find it problematic?
I don't know if its a hardware issue or software issue but they will get a mind of their own. Have had issues with them leaving the heat on until the customers house is over 90 degrees or running the ac way below set point. Showing incorrect room temperature and being way off at random. Not keeping set point or dropping a heating or cooling call before reaching set point. Or just not working in general. No one in the hvac trade likes these thermostats. A common wire is a must for them but even that doesn't stop them from acting up.

Those of us in the hvac world would strongly disagree. Just because yours has been trouble free doesn't mean they all are.
The counter is just like anything there will be bad ones. I see your point though because I've seen a lot of bad DIY installs and personally I never believed stealing power when running was a good idea. C wire or bust.

I don't know if its a hardware issue or software issue but they will get a mind of their own. Have had issues with them leaving the heat on until the customers house is over 90 degrees or running the ac way below set point. Showing incorrect room temperature and being way off at random. Not keeping set point or dropping a heating or cooling call before reaching set point. Or just not working in general. No one in the hvac trade likes these thermostats. A common wire is a must for them but even that doesn't stop them from acting up.
That’s funny you mention those issues I’ve never run into them but my aunt has. I do think it’s definitely user error especially when you give the utility company control then try to override them.

That’s funny you mention those issues I’ve never run into them but my aunt has. I do think it’s definitely user error especially when you give the utility company control then try to override them.
Ya I know some companies like to go hardcore with the override. I suspect poor coding on their part.

Do you mean using the fan signal wire and losing the ability to independently run the fan. Yeah that’s cheese definitely not a proper install
For those without a C wire that can't fish a new cable, there isn't any issue with sacrificing the fan wire if you don't care to run it independently. I'm not that guy and I want independent fan control, but some don't care.

For those without a C wire that can't fish a new cable, there isn't any issue with sacrificing the fan wire if you don't care to run it independently. I'm not that guy and I want independent fan control, but some don't care.
Doesn’t eco-bee put out a harness kit for no common and to keep independent fan control?

I would kind of like to have a smart thermostat, I believe I need to rewire to get a power wire included.
Check the main board inside your furnace. Good chance it has a constant 5v terminal and most t-stat wiring has plenty of spares. Otherwise, both Ecobee and Nest come with a power "adapter" for situations without this.

I’m 73 and have worked and invested hard enough that I can afford to not have my thermostat call me on the phone.
That makes no sense.... Not to mention the thermostat doesn't "call" your phone. Ever.

Do you mean using the fan signal wire and losing the ability to independently run the fan. Yeah that’s cheese definitely not a proper install
I was referring to stealing current when the heat or a/c had a call but I can see sacrificing fan control as an alternative. I am also not that guy, I want control over the fan.

Ecobee. Stay away from Nest.
Never had Nest - but our controller got replaced by an OEM - still did not perform well - the Tech tells us he can replace it for free and do no better - or sell us an Ecobee at their cost - we did that and it has been awesome …

I was referring to stealing current when the heat or a/c had a call but I can see sacrificing fan control as an alternative. I am also not that guy, I want control over the fan.
The higher end nest was able to charge over pulsing the heat wire on hydronic boilers don’t know if this was changed but supposedly it wasn’t perfected and would sometimes initiate a heat call. I’m sure I don’t have that 100% correct but found that interesting

The higher end nest was able to charge over pulsing the heat wire on hydronic boilers don’t know if this was changed but supposedly it wasn’t perfected and would sometimes initiate a heat call. I’m sure I don’t have that 100% correct but found that interesting
Ya that is what I was referring to or charge while the unity was actually running. Good in theory, horrible in practice.

in addition to the the main smart thermostat I have four areas with heated tiles, two bathrooms, the kitchen and the sunroom. The brand is Flextherm and they are connected to heating wires set in the mortar beneath the tile. I have them set to sense tile temperature but they can also be set to room temperature. There is somewhat of a connection between tile temperature and room temperature anyway. They have a morning temp, away temp, back temp and sleep temp as the default setting. And have a five day plus two day default setting. They can be custom programmed to individual days as well. It also comes with a learning ability and they can be set to decide when to turn on the heat to reach a certain tile temp by a certain hour. Lots off stuff!

When my furnace is running on propane, it’s almost the same price as electrical resistance heating, so I don’t mind turning the tile temperatures higher during the cold days.

Back