Rehab a WWII Veteran's House in Boston

Inspired by a current project to rehab a narrow three story colonial house, this space was under the ownership of a WWII veteran and calls for a lot of work. Relatively well maintained for it's era, this certainly is not a pushover house, but we're looking at a significant updates for all new windows, walls + electric, you get the idea. It's exciting to bring this property back to full life and want to do it justice while maintaining value.

Roof is done. Next question out of the gate: favorite windows folks have been happy with? What brand, style?

Sister used Andersen windows in two new constructions, all with good success and no issues. Her contractor did the installs.

I have used Pella pocket windows purchased through Lowe's and installed by their contractor. It was a pleasant experience and the sales rep and installer check and double checked measurements to make sure there were no errors. In my case, the Pella stain matched exactly what was used in the original construction.

I can identify with your challenges.

I went to college there and worked part-time for a high-end audio/video company several years. We did complicated, hidden installs in homes all over Eastern Mass from 1700s saltboxes on the south shore, back bay brownstones, etc. New mansions out in Weston, even up in Maine, down to Newport, etc. Sometimes during renovations on 18th C. houses, sometimes cutting into stuff ourselves. I learned a lot about construction techniques, periods of architecture, etc. Made me learn and appreciate things better. Are you a GC or something like that in the area?

My brother was a GC a while in northern IL and used a lot of Pella, and in fact on his own big new-build house. I helped him install them on his home and the quality was superb, support was amazing. Energy efficiency was excellent. I think they are widely available there in NE in addition to the midwest. We also like Milgard a lot but that is more west coast and not there I think.

Andersen. My house was built in 1970 and the windows and doors still operate and seal as tight as new. You’ll never need another window replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_1232.jpeg
    IMG_1232.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1235.jpeg
    IMG_1235.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1237.jpeg
    IMG_1237.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 13
Thanks everyone for the speedy replies. This is really tremendous!

I am not a GC myself but we have one leading the way to organize and manage (I already work 25 hours a day) in addition to having an architect on retainer. Should have plans done within the next month and a half or so with first set in a couple weeks.

1. Good copy on Andersen. Those sound like the best bet from what I've heard and been doing on research. They appear to be the leader at the moment - and will be curious to see quotes. Pella and Harvey were the other too recommended to me.

2. Thanks for the tip on the vinyl windows. First time someone has steered me away from them - and while I appreciate the insight for sure (thank you) I've also seen good success with them in this climate. Any other particular reasons to avoid vinyl?

3. We're taking down most of the interior down to the studs/frame to both reinforce and make adjustments. Plus this is to update all the wiring/plumbing. This will also allow us to add a bathroom upstairs and another half on the first floor (current working plan) plus at least a 200 amp box versus the current 100 amp. The wiring had been a mix.

Back