Got a plain thermostat or a fancy one in your house?

I like the round ones with the dials on them.
My house has four HVAC systems, two of the thermostats are fairly basic ones:
IMG_0823.jpg

Whereas I had one system replaced last year and got a fancy new one which as best I can tell just has an annoying backlight:
IMG_0827.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 2
I have an Emerson Sensi with WiFi, but the Customer Support that Emerson provides is non-existent. I contacted them for some assistance on December 28th. I'm still waiting for a human to respond, nearly three weeks later. It is as if they have no idea as to what "Customer Support" really is. Since they aren't really a consumer based company, that could be a lot of it.

I should have bought a Nest or an Ecobee instead.

Last edited:
Just a $35 programmable one.

No advantage here to spend $250 on a fancy one other than for it to look cool in the hallway. I never touch it, except to switch from heat to cool and vice versa a couple times a year.

Honeywell WiFi/Touchscreen one from about 7 or 8 years ago.

I never use the app or programming functions, but the old house it was originally installed in was unattended for many days at a time during the winter. I bought it for the low-temp notification function.

Honeywell (now marketed under Residio) T9 in the house and T5 in the garage. T9 has 4 remote sensors that I use during various scheduled times to average out set points. I didn't have any interest in the learning functionality of the nest but wanted geofencing which these provide. Along with the basic stuff that comes with WiFi like low temp alerts, etc.

We purchased our 1959 home with an old round style mercury type thermostat, replaced it with a Nest.

We've got a ten-year-old Carrier Infinity control that's programmable but is just old enough to lack wifi connectivity. We're kind of locked into it with that proprietary system and can't switch thermostats without losing a lot of functionality and features.
I know some people love their Nests, but I find them to take more liberties with the auto-learned temp settings than I'd like (wide swing, etc.) If I were in the market for a standard stat, I'd probably pick up a new Honeywell T5 or similar, or an Ecobee. It seems that a basic-ish Honeywell or similar offers the best bang for the buck in terms of utility savings. I'd guess most folks don't save much with a smart stat vs a properly-programmed programmable (not one set to hold at 72, though).

The newer infinity thermostats with wifi will work on your system. If you ever wanted to go that route that is.

Round ones are antiques.... Lol
Antiques, but they do the job fine if you set it, forget it and don't need a programmable one. Better than those "smart" ones your electric company offers for practrically nothing so they can overide it via internet during those high demand days in the summer time.

So I have a basic older style digital thermostat.
My daughter has a new Ecobee.
My mom and step dad have a super fancy Goodman do everything one.

What kind do you have/like?

The one before just had a dial, but I changed it quickly after moving in. The setting was so off 20C could be 18C or 24C depending on it's mood.

I then got a fancy one, in comparison. Digital, programmable for 7 days, with several temperatures a day, can also be used to turn on AC. Does everything I need it to.

Antiques, but they do the job fine if you set it, forget it and don't need a programmable one. Better than those "smart" ones your electric company offers for practrically nothing so they can overide it via internet during those high demand days in the summer time.
Huh? All the disconnects I’ve seen required a control box connected directly to the AC unit outside. Didn’t affect how the air handler inside operated one bit.

Huh? All the disconnects I’ve seen required a control box connected directly to the AC unit outside. Didn’t affect how the air handler inside operated one bit.
I have a plain Jane tstat. Doesn’t even have a backlight. Yes, the disconnects out here were a unit that were installed on the outside a/c. I say were because they were an item for one season. People freaked when they couldn’t adjust their a/c on a hot day.

I still have the old one with an intact mercury switch. I figure I'll eventually go to a hazardous waste disposal facility to get rid of it.

I didn't need anything fancy. I just got a basic thermostat. It doesn't even have a thermometer function.
If you don't need a new one you'll never have to worry about going to great lengths to get rid of the mercury thermo. It will outlast you.

With three people in the house working different shifts there was no point in having a programmable stat. Had one but it was a pain the rear. Have the most basic digital now. When I don't need heat [going to bed] I don't turn down the temp, I just turn it off. Back on when someone gets up.

I bought a 3rd generation Nest back in 2017 or thereabouts - with power company rebate it ended up being ~$260, its in the mid $100's now since it is basically a 4-5 year old thermostat. My old apartment where it was originally installed it saved me a boatload of utility $$$ mainly from the auto-learning and the auto away/eco mode, I had a baseline on regular thermostat consumption vs nest. New place I can't say because it was one of the first things I installed before I even moved in.

The automatic functions make this thing absolutely blow regular programmables out of the water. I turned off learning mode and deleted the schedules when we were WFH for months but now we are both back to work I can prob get a new schedule going - we have just been relying on the automatic away function.

Back