Got A New Flashlight...

If anyone's looking for a 21700 cell powered light, at under $26, this is a good deal:

Comes with a 5000mAh 21700 cell. XHP50.2 LED. Works as a power bank, too.

I'm thinking of grabbing one.
Why not just spend more and get a quality light from a reputable company? It's insane/ridiculous how many cheap wannabe brands there are floating around and most of it is just generic junk.

Why not just spend more and get a quality light from a reputable company? It's insane/ridiculous how many cheap wannabe brands there are floating around and most of it is just generic junk.
I like collecting cheap lights. It's what makes it fun. A light with specs like this from Olight or Fenix would be 3-4x the price, if they even make one.

Rofis actually had a good reputation in the community.

Last edited:
I bought two Gearlight S2000 flashlights from Amazon. Good for 200 feet plus. The light zooms from flood to spot. I would buy them again.

I like collecting cheap lights. It's what makes it fun. A light with specs like this from Olight or Fenix would be 3-4x the price, if they even make one.

Equivalent Sofirn (I always read that as M instead of N) or Wurkkos will be only 25% more.

IMO, Sofirn and Wurkkos are not any more reputable than Rofis.
But they seem to be better supported. Now granted Rofis is upcoming and there is no reason why it can NOT do the same but from reading the review, Rofis is using their own UI (and may be non-standard drivers etc) and fixing the bugs could be more difficult for that brand.

I am with you as far as getting cheap but acceptable light is more fun than getting expensive but great quality light. You can have many of the former vs latter. And if you acquire the taste of expensive lights, then the price of the hobby goes up by quite a lot. I also contend that then it becomes jewelry instead of a tool. Nothing against liking or wanting or having jewelry but that is different than finding acceptable tools at ridiculous prices.

It is usual "NOT a Snap On but costs only 1/10 of its price" argument. But conversely I do NOT buy any flashlights from Harbor Freight :)

Talking about Harbor Freight, I had purchased adjustable belt hole punch for non-trivial money (to me at that time). It was hefty and had it for close to a decade. Couple days ago, the mechanism literally crumbled in my hand when I went to use it. This tool was never abused in any form.

Last edited:
Tint shifts with the brightness, so it is most likely not a constant current regulator. Aren't most lights like that?

Tint shifts with the brightness, so it is most likely not a constant current regulator. Aren't most lights like that?
I am trying to find the reference on how a constant current driver can give same tint at all brightness by using PWM but google is not getting me what I remember.

The explanation was that LED current determines both brightness and color tint and if you want to reduce brightness without affecting the perceived tint, very high frequency PWM will control the brightness while keeping the on current at full value. The switching speed has to be faster than eye perception but slower than the maximum LED switching frequency.

I hope I am not making all of this up!

To each their own, I just like buying from companies that build rock solid, high performing/lasting products. Have had many Fenix lights over the last 8 or so years and all have been fantastic. On various forums I see lots of comments from the Hank fanboys and just not my thing. Lights look too generic and cheaply made.

Another PeetPen offering (C60), currently $12 after the 60% off clip-coupon:

L45 also:

Last edited:
Mine just came in. The included cell was at 3.9V. 14μA parasitic drain, so negligible. I am seeing a green ring around the center hot spot in low mode, but not much on high. All in all, a decent light for the price.
What does a green ring tell you ?

Another PeetPen offering (C60), currently $12 after the 60% off clip-coupon:

L45 also:
C60 has very bad beam pattern (concentric cicles) but what can you expect out of a zoomie?

L45 there is no beam picture, so no idea how that one is.

Pete,

You might want to google Sofirn S31C I could not resist, some of the respected member of BLF said nice thing about it and it is under $15 shipped but on a very slow boat from China. The way I treat these purchases as "Surprise Me!" because by the time they arrive, I would have no idea what I had ordered.

Back