Upgraded my handheld computer that doubles as a communication device: Samsung S22 Ultra!

My new tech toy finally arrived today after weeks of anticipation: the new Samsung S22 Ultra. I chose the burgundy color with 512gb of storage, upgrading from a 128gb S20 that I also picked up at launch. I've been eyeing phones for over a year now, however there was absolutely nothing that gave me the "gotta have it" feel until now.

I picked up my now-retired S20 on a previous $0/mo for 18 month lease deal, so in the end it cost me $250 to buy-out at the end of the lease. Sprint's S22 pre-order deal offered $800 for my trade-in, plus a free storage upgrade from 256gb to 512gb on the S22 which makes the net cost of the S22 a very reasonable $400 ($300 for the phone, $100ish in required sales tax). Taking into consideration the cost of my previous S20, I effectively got 50% off retail on the S22. The S22 cost is broken down into 24 monthly payments of $12.50, so my out of pocket cost is trivial after all is said and done.

I've only had a few hours to play with the S22, but so far I'm beyond satisfied. The camera quality is amazing, the speed is incredible, and the display will drop your jaw with it's level of brightness and detail. For anyone currently in the market for a flagship phone, I highly recommend giving the S22 a look.

Last edited:
Nice review, which leads me to this.

Wondering if I should update my Note 10 Plus, and still looking for something that is substantially better.
My Note 10 + takes great pictures, does Wifi6, plenty of storage, fast in all apps, battery life is 36 hours for my use.
LTE+ works great for my needs.

Unless I break it or it dies, I'll keep it for a while yet.

The wife received her S22 Ultra this week. It's a really nice phone. As you stated, the camera and display is really good.

We bought it unlocked directly from Samsung. We paid $624 after trade-in of an older Note and discounts. They had a pre-order promotion for a $250 site credit for accessories. Picked up a wireless charger, Galaxy buds, and a case with the credit. I sold the wireless charger and buds for $150 which in effect lowered the price to $475.

It's too much phone for my modest needs, but the wife is really enjoying it.

My new tech toy finally arrived today after weeks of anticipation: the new Samsung S22 Ultra. I chose the burgundy color with 512gb of storage, upgrading from a 128gb S20 that I also picked up at launch. I've been eyeing phones for over a year now, however there was absolutely nothing that gave me the "gotta have it" feel until now.

I picked up my now-retired S20 on a previous $0/mo for 18 month lease deal, so in the end it cost me $250 to buy-out at the end of the lease. Sprint's S22 pre-order deal offered $800 for my trade-in, plus a free storage upgrade from 256gb to 512gb on the S22 which makes the net cost of the S22 a very reasonable $400 ($300 for the phone, $100ish in required sales tax). Taking into consideration the cost of my previous S20, I effectively got 50% off retail on the S22. The S22 cost is broken down into 24 monthly payments of $12.50, so my out of pocket cost is trivial after all is said and done.

I've only had a few hours to play with the S22, but so far I'm beyond satisfied. The camera quality is amazing, the speed is incredible, and the display will drop your jaw with it's level of brightness and detail. For anyone currently in the market for a flagship phone, I highly recommend giving the S22 a look.
Assuming you listen to KFAN....

“Why should anyone aspire to be a common man, an average man? Do you realize what it means to be average? That means you’re the best of the lousiest…and the lousiest of the best. Now, if we demand more and more for producing less and less, while the have-not nations encourage, and inspire, and indeed require hard work and maximum effort – if we deify the common man while they encourage and reward the uncommon ones – well, the end result of such a lopsided race as that is too obvious to require elaboration.”

I've looked at the S22 Ultra a little bit but just hasn't given me the itch yet. This S9+ is still running fine. Unplugged it at 7 am and its 9 pm now and battery still shows 49 percent left.

Assuming you listen to KFAN....

“Why should anyone aspire to be a common man, an average man? Do you realize what it means to be average? That means you’re the best of the lousiest…and the lousiest of the best. Now, if we demand more and more for producing less and less, while the have-not nations encourage, and inspire, and indeed require hard work and maximum effort – if we deify the common man while they encourage and reward the uncommon ones – well, the end result of such a lopsided race as that is too obvious to require elaboration.”

I knew someone here would get the reference! The "Common Man" Dan Cole is far and away my preferred on-air talent, with the morning show just behind and Barreiro taking the Bronze. That's no dig on any of them, they all entertain and inform to a degree that most "sports centric" shows struggle to achieve. However, Common has the unique ability to be both engaging and aloof that many radio hosts lack. In addition to his own brand of personality, the way he and Rosen banter is second to none.

I've looked at the S22 Ultra a little bit but just hasn't given me the itch yet. This S9+ is still running fine. Unplugged it at 7 am and its 9 pm now and battery still shows 49 percent left.

I totally get where you're coming from. My S20 was perfectly fine, although the battery started to show significant decline over the past few months. Even with light use, it would be sub-50% after 5ish hours of use. That, and the battery became extremely non-linear. The first 50% lasted much longer than the last, which made daily use hard to gauge. I have no regrets about the upgrade.

Following other's recommendations, I let the S22 charge fully at night, and ran it as low as possible each day to allow the software to optimize CPU usage and the like. After one week, I'm seeing numbers in the 20-21 hour range of battery life. I'm not exactly a power user, but I do spend an above average amount of time using apps like FB, Snapchat, YouTube etc. That's with the resolution set to max and the adaptive refresh rate on. I'm very happy with the performance, thus far.

Thank you for your review. Does that new phone come with tons of non removable bloatware? My biggest concern with Samsung products, and how many upgrade/update cycles does Samsung provide? Thats what I like about Apple phones-little bloatware and years of updates.

I knew someone here would get the reference! The "Common Man" Dan Cole is far and away my preferred on-air talent, with the morning show just behind and Barreiro taking the Bronze. That's no dig on any of them, they all entertain and inform to a degree that most "sports centric" shows struggle to achieve. However, Common has the unique ability to be both engaging and aloof that many radio hosts lack. In addition to his own brand of personality, the way he and Rosen banter is second to none.

I totally get where you're coming from. My S20 was perfectly fine, although the battery started to show significant decline over the past few months. Even with light use, it would be sub-50% after 5ish hours of use. That, and the battery became extremely non-linear. The first 50% lasted much longer than the last, which made daily use hard to gauge. I have no regrets about the upgrade.

Following other's recommendations, I let the S22 charge fully at night, and ran it as low as possible each day to allow the software to optimize CPU usage and the like. After one week, I'm seeing numbers in the 20-21 hour range of battery life. I'm not exactly a power user, but I do spend an above average amount of time using apps like FB, Snapchat, YouTube etc. That's with the resolution set to max and the adaptive refresh rate on. I'm very happy with the performance, thus far.
If you canned Facebook and Snapchat you'd have a lot better battery life.

Thank you for your review. Does that new phone come with tons of non removable bloatware? My biggest concern with Samsung products, and how many upgrade/update cycles does Samsung provide? Thats what I like about Apple phones-little bloatware and years of updates.

There's some carrier and Samsung bloatware, but nothing crazy and most can be removed or disabled.

Back