Goodbye Shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa, that's a lot of gas stations, etc etc sold. I wonder why shell decided to head for the door, outta New Zealand.... hmmmm.

choice bro.

good idea using superannuation to buy it out, to make the people richer, not royal dutch shell. sort of like a co op.

If they can pull it off, including management etc. then good on em.

Rubbish logo though.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Better not happen in the US.

Its not going to happen in the US. Shell has just announced the opening of the first hydrogen station in NA in the US. It was done as joint venture in partnership with other companies. Interestingly, Toyota was one of them, even though they're not planning to debut their own first hydrogen fuel cell model until 2015. They opted in anyway, realizing (and stating) that for their future model to have any hope of selling, the necessary infrastructure has to be in place first.

Honda has a hydrogen fuel cell model ready already (not sure offhand to what degree its being produced), and there could be others as well.

Whether or not hydrogen can overcome its own built in barriers and become a viable option is another argument outside this thread on its own. But that Shell is putting so much capital up front into something that is likely a decade away from becoming profitable - if it does - and chose to launch it in the US, should provide proof enough that they have no plans to pullout there. To the contrary.

-Spyder

Wonder if it's due to the oil finds off Taranaki, which could have NZ self sufficient and potentially an exporter ?

Congratz NZ

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Originally Posted By: Silk
Shell has pulled out of New Zealand,it has been bought by a company Greenstone Energy...now calling themselves Z Energy,this is their first promo ad.

http://z.co.nz/about-z/who-is-z-energy/our-brand-story/

Y'all and your "Zed". That throws me every time.

"In fact, we already brought the call center back home."
-For that alone, I'd have brand preference if I were a kiwi.

Off topic:

We enunciate it the same way here as well: your Zee-28 is our Zed-28. And the Commonwealth nations all use a different spelling for many of our common English terms. Mostly this is seen in words where you guys drop the "u" in words we put it in, and in others where you use an "s" where we use instead a "c." Examples:

Humor vs humour;
Defense vs defence; etc.

As I'm writing to an audience I know is mostly American, I follow the convention of that audience and substitute your spellings in place of our own up here. I'm not as consistent when it comes to units of measure though. Mostly I use both our unit along side its US conversion, but sometimes laziness or expedience wins out and I simply use our metric units by themselves.

The latter may soon become moot though, as there has been talk of abandoning metric and switching to the system you guys use. Right now its just talk though.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
greenaccord02 said:
Silk said:
The latter may soon become moot though, as there has been talk of abandoning metric and switching to the system you guys use. Right now its just talk though.

-Spyder

Taking over the world one measurement at a time...

Seriously though, I much prefer metric. I would actually be happier if the US went metric on everything. That way I'd only need one set of wrenches! Problem is, the companies that make wrenches will have none of that silliness...as they like selling twice as many products.

Originally Posted By: pzev
Originally Posted By: Spyder7
greenaccord02 said:
Silk said:

-Spyder

Taking over the world one measurement at a time...

Seriously though, I much prefer metric. I would actually be happier if the US went metric on everything. That way I'd only need one set of wrenches! Problem is, the companies that make wrenches will have none of that silliness...as they like selling twice as many products.

Funny, I never thought of that, but that's a good point. As my socket sets (I own three of various sizes) are all dual metric/imperial sets which could be cut in half if only one standard were followed.

My wrenches are mix of both, but mostly metric. Unlike socket sets, which almost always combine both standards (where I buy them anyway), most wrench sets - particularly the heavier duty/better grade - are sold separate sets: one metric, the other imperial. My imperial wrenches are from basic mixed sets, but my good wrenches are all metric, where the only car I work on is my own and it was built here in Canadian using the metric convention throughout.

-Spyder

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Wonder if it's due to the oil finds off Taranaki,

Taranaki has mostly produced gas,and in the '80's we had a CNG network over most of the North Island.Cheap fuel and government incentives to convert your car...I had an HG Holden and Mazda B1600 on CNG. All gone now,and we sell our gas to the Japanese for a quick buck.There is oil off Taranaki,and now they are exploring the east coast (under protest) with the hope of finding a big oil field.

I don't like the Zed thing - but hey,it's better than Golden Fleece! Us Kiwi's had a big laugh when we came over and saw that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back