Good Read On The 9 MM vs. .40 S&W

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they really interested in being efficient and stop watching so much TV and movies they would go back to the .357 magnum with 6 shots and better accuracy. This I need high capacity magazines is idiot logic for police. I saw a sheriff deputy in a Subway the other day he had a loaded Glock, then a two high capacity mags on his front belt and two.more standard mags on his back. Wanted to ask him if he was planning on some Delta Force stuff there.
6 shots, good placement, all they need and really all they should be trusted with.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
If they really interested in being efficient and stop watching so much TV and movies they would go back to the .357 magnum with 6 shots and better accuracy. This I need high capacity magazines is idiot logic for police. I saw a sheriff deputy in a Subway the other day he had a loaded Glock, then a two high capacity mags on his front belt and two.more standard mags on his back. Wanted to ask him if he was planning on some Delta Force stuff there.
6 shots, good placement, all they need and really all they should be trusted with.

You don't seem to realize they are going toe to toe with multiple threats and extended shootouts. More ammo the better. I don't think you can call a timeout in a gun battle?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Yes women in the FBI whined they couldn't handle the 10MM. So they stepped it back to 40 S&W they must have kept whining!

Actually if you examine the whole deal, you're not very far off at all in your assessment. That's pretty much right on the money. Sure, in it's press release the FBI referred to them as, "Smaller stature Agents". In order to remain within the bounds of political correctness. And to not be accused of "sexism". But everybody knows exactly who they were referring to. Women FBI agents could not control the big, heavy 10 MM, S&W 1006 pistols very well at all. Along with the recoil they produced with the hot, high velocity 10 MM loads they were stuffing them with at the time. Let the nightmare begin. If they, (women), could have shot that pistol correctly and accurately right from the get go, none of this nonsense would have ever happened. The FBI was only the beginning. We now have law enforcement agencies coast to coast saturated with small framed cop chicks, the bulk of which are all gun and recoil sensitive. The end result is exactly where we are at now.

The same thing happened when women invaded the fire departments across this country. They were women, and wanted to roar. In order to accommodate their smaller, and much weaker physical stature, the departments were all forced to lower all the physical standards and tests. Otherwise none of the women, (except for the few larger Amazon types), would never be able to make the cut and qualify. Now, you can call me "sexist", but it doesn't change anything. Or the facts that created this whole expensive mess in the first place.

Could you just imagine if the M-16 had not come along? And instead we had kept the M-14 as our go to service rifle. You would have had much the same thing with women in the Army. All whining, trying to qualify with their service weapons. They would have required bull's-eye's the size of houses. And they would have had to move the qualifying distance in to 25 yards. Men had difficulty with handling that weapon on full auto. And while only 1.7 percent of women serve in combat infantry, could you just imagine the issues and problems if 5' 2", 105 pound, pony tailed, Helen Reddy types were given a loaded, 10-1/2 pound M-14 to lug around and qualify with? As with most of this kind of stuff, we wind up making our own messes. This one was / is no exception.

If they did that, they would be burying cops every day. Look at what they're up against with today's inner city gangs and drug dealers. Do you actually believe they're running around with 6 shot revolvers? They're all carrying high capacity semi auto pistols. In your infinite wisdom the cops should, "only be trusted with 6 shot revolvers". While their adversaries are carrying large capacity semi's, is no better logic than giving small framed women big heavy, hot loaded 10 MM's. And we all see just how well that worked out.

Originally Posted By: billt460

If they did that, they would be burying cops every day. Look at what they're up against with today's inner city gangs and drug dealers. Do you actually believe they're running around with 6 shot revolvers? They're all carrying high capacity semi auto pistols. In your infinite wisdom the cops should, "only be trusted with 6 shot revolvers". While their adversaries are carrying large capacity semi's, is no better logic than giving small framed women big heavy, hot loaded 10 MM's. And we all see just how well that worked out.

He also demonstrates a need to learn more about what happens in a real shooting vs only training on the range. It is impossible to perfectly simulate on a range or in a shoot house, or any sort of drill even using simunitions, what effect adrenalin, the "oh [censored] factor" and etc have on the fine motor skills and visual perception when it unfolds in real life. There are examples of officers who were expert marksmen on the range that their shot placement was inaccurate in an actual incident or worse they lost the fight. Don't like it when folks start talking about law enforcement officers shot placement or lack thereof after a real life shooting incident. Whole different ball game than plinking on the range and bragging about groups on a target.

Shootouts are an impressionist art all of their own. I used to know a Miami cop who told me that if all of the participants had their loads replaced with 6 blanks for every live round, it would hardly effect the outcome.

Quote:
Doesnt apply to you? You bought a round with half the energy of 9mm and the price that matches a 40SW lol.

If your skill set is such that you are not confident with a .380 of course you should go with something "bigger"

I had a 4 hour training course yesterday and on today. Out of the four participents (2 of us were reasonably skilled and the other 2 a notch behind.) I was always easily able to placee 5 rounds on target the fastest (
Carry what you shoot the best.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
If your skill set is such that you are not confident with a .380 of course you should go with something "bigger". I had a 4 hour training course yesterday and on today. Out of the four participents (2 of us were reasonably skilled and the other 2 a notch behind.) I was always easily able to placee 5 rounds on target the fastest (div>

As was pointed out in another post. This has less to do with "skill", and more to do with how one reacts in a deadly situation. Many times the individual who can maintain his composure under fire, with their Adrenalin flowing full bore, will fair much better than the Olympic Champion, who can deliver winning groups and scores on a range when no one is shooting back at you.

Originally Posted By: billt460

As was pointed out in another post. This has less to do with "skill", and more to do with how one reacts in a deadly situation. Many times the individual who can maintain his composure under fire, with their Adrenalin flowing full bore, will fair much better than the Olympic Champion, who can deliver winning groups and scores on a range when no one is shooting back at you.

True. All you can do it train-train-train...and when the SHTF you may almost be dysfunctional and hopefully the things you do in training will carry the day.

And yes you can put tens of thousands of younds downrange as in target shooting. But that is not enough on its own.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PumpPusher

You don't seem to realize they are going toe to toe with multiple threats and extended shootouts. More ammo the better. I don't think you can call a timeout in a gun battle?

And that's exactly the movie Hollywood mumbo jumbo they like you to believe.
Whenever police are doing a raid or whenever there is a scent of automatic weapons they wait till there is 20 or more, SWAT, Special agents, helicopters and sometimes even tanks. No cop is going to take on no felons or gangs by himself. He is going to retreat and call for help unless it was absolutely a surprise. That said I would still prefer to have a .357 magnum revolver over a 9 mm or .40 auto. The lines that have become blurred that our police should be militarized is where this all starts. 9 mm was developed by the Germans for the military in it was light, ammo could be carried in large amounts and it gave a method of dumping alot of rounds in close quarters, none which law enforcement should be practicing but they like the para military effect which they dub " Tactical".

The lines that have become blurred that our police should be militarized is where this all starts.

Police carrying a semi auto handgun hardly classifies them as being, "militarized". It's common sense. And none of this has a thing to do with movies. Regardless of how much you keep trying to draw that parallel line.

Permit me to respectfully agree and disagree with your premise. Is the .357 Magnum, specifically the Remington or Federal 125gr JHP round an effective stopping cartridge? Yes, it is. I carried one on duty (with 12 rounds for spares) for nearly 20 years and never felt outgunned. But I also had a 12 gauge Remington 870 locked against the front seat, and an M16 in the trunk, so that 'feeling' was somewhat relative.

The 1970s had also brought a number of lawsuits against police agencies that issued or permitted .357 Magnum revolvers, loaded with .357 Magnum ammunition, but had officers qualify with .38 Special wadcutter loads. Policy changes were wide sweeping, and shooting a 96 round course back then with 125 grain JHP Magnum loads was no picnic. Followup shots were a lot easier said than done at distances over 3 to 7 yards. It was also beating K frame revolvers up pretty bad, which prompted S&W and Ruger to bring out the "L" frame 586, 686, and GP100. So for the same capacity, we've added 6-8 more ounces of weight to tote around.

The infamous 1986 Miami 'shootout' wasn't so much about handgun stopping power (the rounds that finally stopped Matix and Platt (bad guys) were actually the .38 Special 158 +P LSWHP) but about bringing a handgun to a rifle fight, and a fight that was in VERY tight quarters with what I would call 'minute of pucker' ranging - think 145 rounds in under 5 minutes was the tally IIRC. It is almost impossible to train enough for a situation like that.

Part of what prompted the move to more powerful auto-loaders was the perception that while Platt (bad guy) had lost a lot of blood from the cross shot of the 9m/m, it didn't go deep enough to disrupt the blood pump. Also, the revolver armed agents were (obviously) under serious pressure to reload, and revolvers ain't that fast on the reload even with speed loaders (especially when you're dropping your gun in the process). Nothing out of any handguns were providing that instant incapacitation. At that time, Agents could carry .357 Magnum revolvers of their own, but had to get permission from their SAIC to carry the Magnum rounds - and to qualify with those rounds. Most who had .357 revolvers carried the standard 158Gr LSWCHP +P load.

The 9m/m rounds of today are a vast leap ahead than those in 1986. Propellants have improved giving higher velocity at standard or +P pressures, and bullet design has vastly improved. Firearms training courses have also changed radically, with an emphasis on multiple assailants, partial obstructions, etc, etc. Caveat that a good range score doesn't automatically mean a good score on the street. There's no amount of adrenaline you can dump on a firing range that even approaches a lethal confrontation on the street. You will, however, default to your lowest level of training.

I got to transition in the mid 1990s to the Glock 9m/m. The standard load that I'm still using is the Federal 9BLPE 115gr +P+. Is it a wonder bullet ? Nope, none of 'em are, but it's far easier to control for followup shots than my S&W K and L frame .357 Magnums were. The Federal 9 BPLE has earned its salt from a lot of use on the street.

Bad guys have also advanced into things like 'ghost' and stolen pistols, semi auto rifles, stolen, smuggled and illegally modified automatic weapons. They also travel in packs, as gangs are far more prevalent and than 30-40 years ago. As the Feds took the Mafia apart, the vacuum left was filled in by street gangs who had absolutely NO rules of engagement. At least the Mafia had 'rules' on who you could and couldn't hit, and under what parameters. For every gang banger that you do see, bet your behind there are three you don't immediately see - which you had better pick up on fast. The bad guys know that when they see the cop with the Glock (or SIG or Beretta or whatever) that he won't need to stop at 6, and chances are he'll have at least 50 rounds on him instead of 18. Two cops, double it, etc.

I still have my .357 revolvers, still shoot 'em from time to time, and I wouldn't trade 'em for the world. But I am far more comfortable and confident in my shooting ability with my Glocks, SIGs, Berettas and 1911s than with anything else that can be concealed under a windbreaker or vest. 6 shots and good shot placement works well on the range, not so much when rounds are incoming your way.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: HouseTiger

Part of what prompted the move to more powerful auto-loaders was the perception that while Platt (bad guy) had lost a lot of blood from the cross shot of the 9m/m, it didn't go deep enough to disrupt the blood pump. Also, the revolver armed agents were (obviously) under serious pressure to reload, and revolvers ain't that fast on the reload even with speed loaders (especially when you're dropping your gun in the process). Nothing out of any handguns were providing that instant incapacitation. At that time, Agents could carry .357 Magnum revolvers of their own, but had to get permission from their SAIC to carry the Magnum rounds - and to qualify with those rounds. Most who had .357 revolvers carried the standard 158Gr LSWCHP +P load.

I have a family member who started with the Kentucky State Police in the late 1970s(and of course is long retired). He went through first a Model 19, then a 686, a 1006, and finally whatever 40 S&W Glock they issued(I think he retired around 2000).

He describes both with his 19 and 686 that everyone's hands would be raw at the end of a qualification course. I still carry a 19 regularly and of course shoot it, but 357 Mags can certainly take their toll on you.

He was a big fan of the 10mm, and bought his issue gun when they transitioned. He still carries it some, although he defaults to carrying something in 40 now.

Originally Posted By: HouseTiger
But I am far more comfortable and confident in my shooting ability with my Glocks, SIGs, Berettas and 1911s than with anything else that can be concealed under a windbreaker or vest. 6 shots and good shot placement works well on the range, not so much when rounds are incoming your way.
cheers3.gif

But one thing to realize. You are no longer a cop which means it is not your duty to do what a cop does. Now understand..you have been trained to engage multiple threats so what you do now is hard to change.

But again I have to chuckle of some of the (not well TRAINED) Citizen Wyatt Earps who go out into the world (it seems almost hoping) to engage several bg's. They may be armed for it but not trained for it.

I have trained on everything..shooting from cover, kneeling (behing cover) one hand shooting on dominant and non-dominant hand, two hand shooting non dominant, engaging multiple targets, shooting and emergency and tactical reloading backing away and moving toward the threat..it goes on and on. Two of my instructors teach upper tier Secret Service folks and the other trains police trainers and rank and file. But again I only do that once a year. My brain is not wired to actually do that and I feel inadequate to perform these things. As a civilian my first is to get out of Dodge.

Last edited:
I would still be more confident in a 6 shot .357 magnum.
I see so many actual shootings were they literally dump thier pistols thinking more is better. My money would be on a trained guy with a .357 magnum over a gang bangers with a high cap 9. You tend to be more focused on accuracy when you know you only have six and that should be a issue with police shooting rounds in public, not so much a issue of bad guys, I know. It would lead to better training and get away with spray and pray tactics most police have.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
.357 with 158 Gr bullets penetrate cars very well. 9mm with 115 Gr. and 124 Gr. not so much!
Based upon what? With modern 9MM ammunition, there is plenty of hard test evidence to the contrary.

I would still be more confident in a 6 shot .357 magnum.
I see so many actual shootings were they literally dump thier pistols thinking more is better. My money would be on a trained guy with a .357 magnum over a gang bangers with a high cap 9. You tend to be more focused on accuracy when you know you only have six and that should be a issue with police shooting rounds in public, not so much a issue of bad guys, I know. It would lead to better training and get away with spray and pray tactics most police have.

So with your whole, "less is more" theory, perhaps they should carry single shot Contenders in chest rigs. Then they would really be accurate. Let's return to the whole, "One Shot - One Kill", mantra that has worked so well for the American Sniper and Matthew Quigley.

It would lead to better training and get away with spray and pray tactics most police have.

You might consider better educating yourself about modern law enforcement tactical firearms training before making such statements, it could help your credibility when talking about guns and police.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back