Good quality oil filter for Nissan Maxima.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be changing my oil in a few weeks again. I usually use Nissan filters but these are expensive to use for a 3k mile oca that I'll be starting. My car uses oil (about 1q per 1k miles) so no more expensive synthetics and 5k mile oca's for it!

I used to use Supertechs from Wal-Mart but I've read that these are now using cardboard end caps. What about Bosch? I know Purolator Pure One's are some of the best out there but they are way too much money for this car's oil burning ways. As always, I'll steer clear of Fram.

if you look at the oil fitler thread i just posted the microgaurd cut open. they are good filters for 3k oci.

purolator would also be a good choice

Last edited:
There's an oil filter thread? I searched for anything oil filter related and couldn't find a thing.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: kbohip72
There's an oil filter thread? I searched for anything oil filter related and couldn't find a thing.
21.gif

Yes there is. Right HERE .

For such a short interval of 3000 miles, any name brand filter will work great.

Just wondering, since you have the same year SE as my Max. Does your's burn any oil between changes. Over at Maxima.org, it seems there are about 20-30% of Maxima owner's with oil usage problems. I bought my car used with 55k miles on it so I have no idea how well it was taken care of in it's days before I got it. The owner simply gave me the 3k miles or 3 months response when I asked him what his oca was. Hopefully he was telling the truth.

I'm going to be changing my oil in a few weeks again. I usually use Nissan filters but these are expensive to use for a 3k mile oca that I'll be starting. My car uses oil (about 1q per 1k miles) so no more expensive synthetics and 5k mile oca's for it!

I used to use Supertechs from Wal-Mart but I've read that these are now using cardboard end caps. What about Bosch? I know Purolator Pure One's are some of the best out there but they are way too much money for this car's oil burning ways. As always, I'll steer clear of Fram.

First, since you need to add 1qt/1k miles you can easily use 6-7k miles OCI with any brand name dino. You may want to try High Mileage oil to reduce oil consumption and/or do an ARX.

Second, Bosch oil filter is very good, about the same quality as Pure One. Bosch filter can easily be used for 7-8k miles OCI.

I may end up doing longer changes just because the car will have already had 3 new quarts of oil added by the 3k mile oca anyway. I intend to use Pennzoil HM this next change. I'm hoping the HM oil will cut some of this oil consumption down. It's strange, the engine runs smooth as silk, there's no smoke coming from the tailpipe, and the fuel economy is excellent for a 3.5l V6. It just likes the taste of oil!

Look inside the Supertech and it should still be metal end caps on that one, if it is an older Max.

still believe in 3K oci? That's an utter waste of good (still has lots of useful life left) motor oil and filters.

Modern motor oil can easily handle a 5Kmiles OCI, so does oil filters.

3k on dino? Definitely. I'd rather spend the extra $20 a year to have the piece of mind that there's no sludge building up in my engine. Like I said though, with a car that's burning oil? I may just go 5k with dino.

I may end up doing longer changes just because the car will have already had 3 new quarts of oil added by the 3k mile oca anyway. I intend to use Pennzoil HM this next change. I'm hoping the HM oil will cut some of this oil consumption down. It's strange, the engine runs smooth as silk, there's no smoke coming from the tailpipe, and the fuel economy is excellent for a 3.5l V6. It just likes the taste of oil!

You must have been unlucky enough to get one of the oil burning VQ35s.

I've only had mine for 3000 miles and so far I can't tell a drop in oil level. Of course the dipstick sucks and the only way to get a good reading is to check it after the car has been sitting long enough for the oil to go to the pan.

If you haven't researched the issue, check maxima.org. Here's a thread about the oil burning http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/553687-synthetic-oil-burning-3-5-a.html

There's a guy in that thread stating he's burning a quart every 2 weeks. Ouch! Of course, he doesn't say how many miles that is but still, I think I'd be wanting to sell the car if it got that bad.

Btw, asiancivic, your Maxima is the the same color as mine.

Last edited:
LOL.gif
Sorry guys but I have to laugh about the link. The guy says he burns a qt a month. Ahh hello.

How a many miles do you drive in a month?

Ahh yeah, thats a good point, I'll have to keep track of that next time!

Good idea! Just struck me as a good ha ha.

As for the filter, Pure One, Napa Gold, or Wix.

Oh, just saw where those are out of your price range. Try Puro Premium Plus or clones Microguard or Advance Auto Total Grip. Or Motorcraft, if you can find an app.

Last edited:
I always put Napa Gold (Wix) filters on my '02 Altima (VQ35) and on my fathers '00 Maxima (VQ30

I put the same filters on my beater Saturn now too. No worries using them.

I`d use Nissan OEM filters only. What are you paying for them? I get them for about $6 at the Nissan dealership here.

Seems every filter I come across is in the $9 price- range except for one fram which is $7. The other guys are right if your going to be doing frequent OC's, they will all be sufficient.

AUTOZONE has Bosch oil filters for $6.49 part#3323

A quart of oil every 1000 miles ??? Are you sure your not
leaking it ??? I have 98 Maxima with the VQ 3.0 and at 138,000
Miles it doesn't use a drop. Runs like the day it left the
showroom.

Use a Purolator Premium Plus or a Napa Nascar Select if you're going to be changing it at that mileage. They're both good filters for the price.

I've always been happy with Baldwin filters.

The last Wix filter I purchased had "Made in Indonesia" stamped on it and it was clear the quality has suffered. The gasket had ripples and a wide spot; their were also metal burrs in the threads. I decided it wasn't worth it and threw it away before I used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back