Good quality oil filter for Nissan Maxima.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Carzzz
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac

Did you actually speak to someone from Nissan Canada or just your dealer?
I don't know about Canada, but you can use whatever parts here as long as they meet oem spec.

My parents have a 2005 Nissan Quest. No oil consumption issue, but always makes a high pitch noise (tried GTX, Forumla shell, QS, PP, etc) and i guess the noise is coming from the timing-chain. Numerous nissan dealers deny there is a problem. i am expecting the timing-chain is going to fail anytime although it is under 45k km/ 30k miles.
i called the 1-800 number and inquired about warranty on powertrain. They said if the filter causes the engine to fail, it is not covered for warranty. Nissan does not recommend other oil filters that are not designed by nissan. So basically, the rep was saying if your engine fails, nissan is not going to honor your warranty because you put in a different filter. Similarly, look at the GTR, if you turn off the VDC and your warranty is voided. NO more nissan!

We have a 1996 with that high-pitched whine, but the 1st gen vans were known for tranny whine.

And it used the old style PH3682/15208-55Y00 filter. I used Fram, Wix, ST, Mahle, STP and Beck-Arnley with no issues.

Originally Posted By: Cyprs
32.gif
I find a lot of comments interesting on Nissan engines, the QR25DEs had a lot of problems, loose intake screws not locktighted, they eventually fall into engine and destroy it. Cat mapping problems. Nissan Japanese bearing designs were modified to Domestic design. I learned this with my 03 Altima, my 05 X-trail QR is supposedly ironed out this problems, who knows?

I thought the VQ35 was voted as one of top ten engines in world, my brother in law has a 06 Maxima and loves his 6 cylinder engine, no problems and he does not baby it. I find comments on the VQ interesting, sounds like Nissan has problems there too and I am NOT suprised at all.

I ask any one to google "Xtrail Rear Brakes" to see what I deal with now with my Nissan Xtrail. Every 47,000kms both rear wheel assemblies completely pile up due to undersized seals on brake assemblies and poorly engineered clearances, the slightest dust piles them up. To make things worse only one brake assembly has audible warning system for brake problems. Nissan will not warrantee this and people all over the world have this happening to them as it did me, it is a [censored] off.

I am buying a toyota next purchase, Nissan is NOT the company I once knew and experienced decades ago. The poor Nissan filter quality at double the price really broke my back in 4 decades of patronizing Nissan faithfully.

Cyprs

Careful...not all Toyota's are as great as people say they are. I had all kinds of problems with mine, and the dealerships are under the idea that there is never a problem with Toyota's. They refused to fix any of the problems I had until I got the regional rep involved. It was time consuming and a pain in my back side.

I will never purchase another Toyota/Lexus due to the arrogance of the company.

I thought the VQ35 was voted as one of top ten engines in world, my brother in law has a 06 Maxima and loves his 6 cylinder engine, no problems and he does not baby it. I find comments on the VQ interesting, sounds like Nissan has problems there too and I am NOT suprised at all.

I think the VQ is a great engine, but it has its quirks. It has a good amount of horsepower and torque and in my experience it is quite smooth. My car has the earlier VQ35 so I guess they didn't work everything out yet; like the rear valve cover that leaks oil into the spark plugs (can be fixed with a new valve cover from the 04+ Maxima).

I am buying a toyota next purchase, Nissan is NOT the company I once knew and experienced decades ago. The poor Nissan filter quality at double the price really broke my back in 4 decades of patronizing Nissan faithfully.

Cyprs

I've only had my Maxima for three months and 3,000 miles but I like it so far. The build quality is good. The materials used seem to be good. It has a good amount of features for its class of cars. I'm only averaging 22.5 mpg though. I guess the VQ is a thirstier v6.

My mom's Camry is a good car. I wouldn't want to own one though. Nothing wrong with the car but it's not my cup of tea.

The VQ is an AWESOME engine! I'll take it even with my oil usage issue. I've never felt or heard a V6 engine anywhere near as smooth as this one. Tons of torque way down in the rev range lets me keep it in 2nd gear (I LOVE the 6 speed manual!) all the way down to idle while still providing a good deal of power, and this is at an altitude of 6,500' where I live.

This is my 2nd Nissan Maxima, not counting the '91 that my wife still loves and drives. I bought my first Max (a '92) used in 1995. It had 30k miles on it and the engine sounded terrible. It turns out this was the first year Nissan had put variable valve timing on their V6 and they had problems with a part (can't remember the exact name) breaking on the VVT engines. I bought the car anyway, diesel noise and all because it was still under warranty. The dealer fixed it and the car was perfect up until 138k miles when my wife wrecked it.
frown.gif
She now drives a '91 Maxima that is as bulletproof as my old '92. As I said in another post though, the '02 Maxima is the first one I've had that burns oil.

I get exactly 21 mpg in 90% heavy city driving. If I really get on it I never get below 19 or usually 20. I've seen as high as 30mpg on long highway trips while averaging 80mph. One thing I recommend with this engine is to run premium fuel. I've tried regular a few times back when gas was high and my mileage always dropped 1-2. There was a noticeable loss in power as well.

Thanks for all the info on the oil filters guys, especially the info on the OEM Nissan ones! To think all this time I thought I was putting the best on and it was the worst! I should've known anyway as the stock Maxima oil filter is smaller than the filter on my Dad's Kawasaki 13hp DR mower engine! I saw that Wal-Mart still stocks a Supertech filter for my car so I'm just going to use that one next week when I do my oc.

As for Toyota OEM filters, I can attest that they are not what they used to be. For one thing, they are now made in Thailand. They also feel a lot lighter than they used to as well. I should know as I've been changing the oil on my Dad's '90 Lexus for 17 years now. Up until a few years ago, Toyota OEM's were made in Japan.

I hope you're not relying on the trip computer to tell you what your mileage is. It tells me I get anything from 25-30 mpg but when I calculate it, it usually comes up anywhere between 3-5 mpg less. I'd love it if I could get 30 in this car.

I've only been running premium (mostly 93 here) with the exception of my first tank when I first got it. I put 89 with a bottle of Regane in it. I figured the Regane probably had some sort of octane booster in it. It probably did too since it was my best tank so far with 25 mpg.

My dad's van has the VG33e which is a derivative of the engine in the earlier Maximas and it has been solid. No oil consumption and it is getting pretty close to 90k miles now.

I hope you're not relying on the trip computer to tell you what your mileage is. It tells me I get anything from 25-30 mpg but when I calculate it, it usually comes up anywhere between 3-5 mpg less. I'd love it if I could get 30 in this car.

Yep, the mpg readout on the dash of my 04 Altima always reads 3~4 mpg higher than calculated mpg. Still getting 22 ~ 23 mpg with mixed city/hiway driving, so on a long hiway trip I can see it getting 26 mpg as it's rated.

BTW - I'm currently using a Motorcraft FL-822 oil filter on it that seems to work fine ... no start up noises as some complain of on the VQs with various oil/filter combos. Going with a NAPA Gold at next oil change.

My warrantee is now expired on my 05 X-trail, (we bought the 100,000km/4 year extended comprehensive. My service manager told me years ago that as long as I used an OEM replacement filter which properly cross references to the Nissan OEM then there are no warrantee issues. He said Nissan cannot contest that, he did suggest I not use a Fram, he told me they would prefer to see better qualtity than Fram in after market, after taking apart a Nissan filter now I think I would be better off with a Fram.

Actually Nissan allows two Nissan OEM filters to fit my QR25DE, one which is the size of Tiny Tim's thimble and the second larger one about 1 inch longer which cross refferences to my Baldwin B1402 which I use now.

Cyprs

Interesting, I hope that is true about using after market filter... we all know that nissan warranty is not impressive. When there is a problem, nissan is going to find something to blame for. BTW, the powertrain warranty is 5 yr/100k km. If your X-trail is under 100k km, the warranty is not voided(hopefully).

thanks Carzz, I do believe the powertrain waranttee completed at the end of the 4 year extended warrantee. If not, and if something does happen in next 9 months to my X-trail then I would inquire with Nissan. But, I have 0 faith in Nissan warranttee anyway, I read the Australian Nissan Forums, I have learned a lot about Nissan warranttee, in my findings first hand and in reading Nissan warrantee is NOT worth the paper written on. Your comments somewhat enforce that too I think.

Hazmat, I guess no vehicle is going to be perfect, but I can say Nissan was once a very high quality product decades ago, I see Toyota sticking more to thier roots, not Nissan. I dont know if Nissan is Arrogant or Ignorant, or both. Toyota may be arrogant but being number 1 for decades and for decades holding that title then that may give them some premise. Nissan in my opinion lost anything they did have since Renault bought them out. I fully understand Renault saved Nissan financially but I dont believe Renault did much for quality as I personally first handedly found in last 32 years. I cant buy another Nissan now after 32 years of solid patronage. I cant be a "bearcat for punnishment" anymore with Nissan.

As brief as possible, I have driven 1970s Datsuns, 1980s Nissans,never had problems for 100s and 100s Ks. Only oil, filters and plugs etc. Never tore one apart, ran forever. I still have my 1987 Nissan King Cab, just drive it and change oil, nothing else.

Since 2000 I bought a 01 Altima new, a 03 Altima new and now my current 05 X-trail bought new. One each of these vehicles in short term ownership I have had more problems and expense than all of my previous quality Nissan/Datsun, I can only attribute or reason that RENAULT is the problem in my 32 years experience driving Datsun/Nissan.

I have to try Toyota, my Nissan path is dismal now. Whether there is a lesser or greater evil in my change of product, I know I have given more tolerance and taken my knocks from Nissan in last ten years than can be expected from any Nissan fan which I once was.

Guess time will tell in my Toyota quest.
thanks,
Cyprs

My warrantee is now expired on my 05 X-trail, (we bought the 100,000km/4 year extended comprehensive. My service manager told me years ago that as long as I used an OEM replacement filter which properly cross references to the Nissan OEM then there are no warrantee issues. He said Nissan cannot contest that, he did suggest I not use a Fram, he told me they would prefer to see better qualtity than Fram in after market, after taking apart a Nissan filter now I think I would be better off with a Fram.

Actually Nissan allows two Nissan OEM filters to fit my QR25DE, one which is the size of Tiny Tim's thimble and the second larger one about 1 inch longer which cross refferences to my Baldwin B1402 which I use now.

Cyprs

Interesting, I hope that is true about using after market filter... we all know that nissan warranty is not impressive. When there is a problem, nissan is going to find something to blame for. BTW, the powertrain warranty is 5 yr/100k km. If your X-trail is under 100k km, the warranty is not voided(hopefully).

thanks Carzz, I do believe the powertrain waranttee completed at the end of the 4 year extended warrantee. If not, and if something does happen in next 9 months to my X-trail then I would inquire with Nissan. But, I have 0 faith in Nissan warranttee anyway, I read the Australian Nissan Forums, I have learned a lot about Nissan warranttee, in my findings first hand and in reading Nissan warrantee is NOT worth the paper written on. Your comments somewhat enforce that too I think.

Hazmat, I guess no vehicle is going to be perfect, but I can say Nissan was once a very high quality product decades ago, I see Toyota sticking more to thier roots, not Nissan. I dont know if Nissan is Arrogant or Ignorant, or both. Toyota may be arrogant but being number 1 for decades and for decades holding that title then that may give them some premise. Nissan in my opinion lost anything they did have since Renault bought them out. I fully understand Renault saved Nissan financially but I dont believe Renault did much for quality as I personally first handedly found in last 32 years. I cant buy another Nissan now after 32 years of solid patronage. I cant be a "bearcat for punnishment" anymore with Nissan.

As brief as possible, I have driven 1970s Datsuns, 1980s Nissans,never had problems for 100s and 100s Ks. Only oil, filters and plugs etc. Never tore one apart, ran forever. I still have my 1987 Nissan King Cab, just drive it and change oil, nothing else.

Since 2000 I bought a 01 Altima new, a 03 Altima new and now my current 05 X-trail bought new. One each of these vehicles in short term ownership I have had more problems and expense than all of my previous quality Nissan/Datsun, I can only attribute or reason that RENAULT is the problem in my 32 years experience driving Datsun/Nissan.

I have to try Toyota, my Nissan path is dismal now. Whether there is a lesser or greater evil in my change of product, I know I have given more tolerance and taken my knocks from Nissan in last ten years than can be expected from any Nissan fan which I once was.

Guess time will tell in my Toyota quest.
thanks,
Cyprs

Give Honda a try. I probably should have purchased the Accord. I had one in '93 and it was a great car, and the customer service was EXCEPTIONAL! I would buy a Honda over a Toyota any day...even if I had to pay more for it.

So far I have had good luck with my Nissan, but it is only 1 year old. I have also had good luck with my Infiniti, but it is only 2 years old.

I agree, I think Honda has better products than Toyota. But Toyotas aren't bad cars either. Their quality seem to have declined a little bit lately though. I just hope they don't become the next GM.

I've only been running premium (mostly 93 here) with the exception of my first tank when I first got it. I put 89 with a bottle of Regane in it. I figured the Regane probably had some sort of octane booster in it. It probably did too since it was my best tank so far with 25 mpg.

My dad's van has the VG33e which is a derivative of the engine in the earlier Maximas and it has been solid. No oil consumption and it is getting pretty close to 90k miles now.

The trip computer is worthless. I remember when I first got the car thinking how great it was that I was getting 25 mpg in the city. Yea, that didn't happen. The real number was around 20. This was on a commute with 26 stoplights that were almost always red and an average speed of 25mph.

The epa numbers for the 6 speed are 21/28. I can easily get 30 on the highway repeatedly unless there are a lot of hills or traffic, then it's around 28. Gotta love that 6th gear.
grin2.gif

I agree, I think Honda has better products than Toyota. But Toyotas aren't bad cars either. Their quality seem to have declined a little bit lately though. I just hope they don't become the next GM.

I remember going to an auto show a few years back. Toyota had their new (at the time) Camry sitting there so I got inside and took a look. I noticed a door below the radio so I opened it. It broke right off! This would have never happened in a Toyota in the 90's. I think cars from just about every manufacturer are having to cut corners on the interiors among other things to keep prices as low as they can. I blame it on all the safety features that everyone expects as standard now such as side airbags, traction control, abs brakes, etc.

Car prices aren't much higher now than they were in the 90's, but look at all the standard safety features now.

Yep Toyota quality is close to G.Ms . I have owned 4 and my 2006 4x4 is really not exceptional as the previous ones were.

I've got a 2005 Tacoma I bought new, but it only has 20K miles on it so far. So far, there has been zero issues with it. I see on the Tacoma chat boards that many have has various issues, so I guess I got lucky and got a good one. Of all the TSBs out on the truck, mine doesn't experience any TSB issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back