Good quality oil filter for Nissan Maxima.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I've always been happy with Baldwin filters.

Me too, my brother tears OEM Nissan filters appart after 5k OCIs on my QR25DE and my father 1.8 Semtra, they are cardboard and cost $12.00 Canadian at Nissan. My brother tears them appart and finds ONLY the bypass area with oil residue, the pleating does NOTHING.

The B1402 Baldwin is over built in quality, the media actually does filter the oil rather than just the bypass as we see evidence of media flow in the Balwin, I just bought a [censored] load of Baldwins on sale up here for $6.00 each, I know that in American $6.00 a filter is high cost, up here that is a steal for a premium quality American built Baldwin filter, a Fram for my Nissan at Wally World will run $5.50 compared to Baldwin, Baldwin is our choice, we have torn appart wix, Fram, Nissan and Toyota filters, we find Toyota OEM the same poor quality of Nissan OEM, my father tore a Toyota OEM filter appart on his new Camry, he gave away an entire flat of Toyota OEM filters after seeing the construction and now uses nothing but Baldwin in his Camry too.

I use NOTHING BUT Baldwin in every vehicle I drive including my son's vehicles. We cannot find Baldwin quality at the price anywhere. I speak to or email Baldwin tech people, they will give the absolute beta ratios, flow rates in gallons per minute etc. They cannot do enough for thier customers, they are first rate in my experience, first class, I buy $250.00 worth Balwins at a time for all my vehicles and family vehicle maintenance, I stock up, I get all kinds of Baldwin CDs, manuals, diesel filter/matainance reading materials, Baldwin is in the business to serve, sell quality and stand behind it. I do NOT sell Baldwin but I am sold on it.

One very small examples of our findings on Baldwin, a simple $7.75 Canadian funds Baldwin B11 oil filter made for the Duramax has an absolute Beta ratio of 22 Microns, the AC Delco for $14.00 has absolute beta of 40, it allows double the engine damaging particals for double the price. The B11 will withstand the huge cold oil pressure of a Duramax too. Absolute beta of 22 microns is not far from by pass stats.

Up here one can buy a full Balwin Bypass system for $30.00 and the filter included in Canadian funds, $20.00 more for some basic hardware extra and one has a real effect bypass, my brother does a complete baldwin bypass for $50.00.

Just pick any Baldwin up, feel the weight, costruction, get the specs, deal with the tech people if needed, they are first class, I deal Baldwin after all our our homework here. My Nissan will see nothing but Baldwin for half price and 3 times the quality of Nissan OEM.

When I bought my 92 Cummins about 7 years ago, the fella selling it to me was a heavy duty matainance consultant for heavy equipt service, I saw noting but Baldwin on my Cummins, I ask him why, he told me that in all his experience, Baldwins are the best filters, he told me that if one cannot get Baldwin then Donaldson would be his second choice.

I am going to walk into my Nissan Service desk area and slam down a [censored] OEM Nissan filter torn appart after 5k OCI along with a Baldwin when there is a lot of customers standing at that desk and show the physical difference in fitratioin of the media and the construction of a Baldwin at 1/2 the price, I am going to SAVOR it. Any one using a NISSAN OEM filter, PLEASE tear that cheap piece of [censored] appart and see first hand the [censored] you are putting on your engine. Dont take my word for it, tear the [censored] appart and see for your self.

Cyprs

Guess you never seen the old special part number Nissan 15208-60u00 filter made especially for the Q45 and 300zx....built like a tank inside and out. I bought them by the case when I heard nissan was about to discontinue them just as the 1996 Q45 and 300zx models engine warranties were about to expire in 2002-2003

Originally Posted By: kbohip72
Just wondering, since you have the same year SE as my Max. Does your's burn any oil between changes. Over at Maxima.org, it seems there are about 20-30% of Maxima owner's with oil usage problems.

So what do the Maxima owners say is the cause for the oil burning? I know the V6 Altimas can suffer from pre-cat failure and cause the rings to get damaged from pre-cat material ingestion, but not sure if the Maximas can suffer from the same thing. I also hear some years of the VQ engines had bad rings ... I know the Q35 Infiitis were oil burners and a lot of owners got new engines before warranty was up.

I'd use either WIX/NAPA Gold or Purolator/Bosch filters.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

So what do the Maxima owners say is the cause for the oil burning? I know the V6 Altimas can suffer from pre-cat failure and cause the rings to get damaged from pre-cat material ingestion, but not sure if the Maximas can suffer from the same thing. I also hear some years of the VQ engines had bad rings ... I know the Q35 Infiitis were oil burners and a lot of owners got new engines before warranty was up.

I'd use either WIX/NAPA Gold or Purolator/Bosch filters.

The VQ35 was a mixed bag. A few folks at Maxima.org claim there is a notch in the piston rings that when lined up improperly at engine assembly allow oil to pass through and get burned off.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/303907-update-2k3-losing-oil.html

I have actually driven Nissan faithfully since 1977 when they were Datsun, I once had great faith in Nissan/Datsun up until about 2000, I do fully appreciate the excellent quality Nissan/Datsun once was, not now.

In our findings on filters recently due to our homework I no longer believe in my old value or moto : Extra money spent on factory OEM filters = better quality or peace of mind.

I have lost all my trust in that now, decades of trust gone.

Cyprs

My warrantee is now expired on my 05 X-trail, (we bought the 100,000km/4 year extended comprehensive. My service manager told me years ago that as long as I used an OEM replacement filter which properly cross references to the Nissan OEM then there are no warrantee issues. He said Nissan cannot contest that, he did suggest I not use a Fram, he told me they would prefer to see better qualtity than Fram in after market, after taking apart a Nissan filter now I think I would be better off with a Fram.

Actually Nissan allows two Nissan OEM filters to fit my QR25DE, one which is the size of Tiny Tim's thimble and the second larger one about 1 inch longer which cross refferences to my Baldwin B1402 which I use now.

Cyprs

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
If you don't use Nissan filter, your powertrain warranty could be voided... Nissan Canada told me about that...

Did you actually speak to someone from Nissan Canada or just your dealer?

I don't know about Canada, but you can use whatever parts here as long as they meet oem spec.

Originally Posted By: Cyprs

Me too, my brother tears OEM Nissan filters appart after 5k OCIs on my QR25DE and my father 1.8 Semtra, they are cardboard and cost $12.00 Canadian at Nissan. My brother tears them appart and finds ONLY the bypass area with oil residue, the pleating does NOTHING.

... we have torn appart wix, Fram, Nissan and Toyota filters, we find Toyota OEM the same poor quality of Nissan OEM, my father tore a Toyota OEM filter appart on his new Camry, he gave away an entire flat of Toyota OEM filters after seeing the construction and now uses nothing but Baldwin in his Camry too.

I've seen the Nissan OEM cut apart, and I agree it's not very impressive at all. Made in China with cardboard end caps.
shocked2.gif
One would think that any car manufacture would verify the filters they supply through their OEM parts department would be "tested and approved" ... but one has to wonder after seeing the guts of one.

Don't know what Toyota p/n filter you are talking about, or if Toyota has changed filter suppliers lately ... but I've seen the inside of the 90915-YZZD3 Toyota filters (ones that are a few years old) and they look pretty decent construction.

My father's OEM filter that came on his 08 2.4 Toyota engine was good quality, after seeing it he bought a flat of Toyota filters at his Toyota dealership and found extreme poor quality after tear apart on first OCI, NOT the same filter as the original factory filter, Toyota over counter flats of filters are the same quality as the current Nissan filters in our findings now.

Toyota filters are now off shore DENZO to my understanding in forums here in BITOG. I believe that is recent. I suspect Denzo makes Nissan filters too, they are similar in comparison after tearing them apart.

Years ago my Nissan service manager was a Toyota employee, he told me that years ago when he worked at Toyota that Toyota filter quality was second to none, Toyota seems to be following Nissan's lead now in quality, buyer beware.

I dont have the filter number right off hand but I can get it for you if you want it S.B.

Cyprs

32.gif
I find a lot of comments interesting on Nissan engines, the QR25DEs had a lot of problems, loose intake screws not locktighted, they eventually fall into engine and destroy it. Cat mapping problems. Nissan Japanese bearing designs were modified to Domestic design. I learned this with my 03 Altima, my 05 X-trail QR is supposedly ironed out this problems, who knows?

I thought the VQ35 was voted as one of top ten engines in world, my brother in law has a 06 Maxima and loves his 6 cylinder engine, no problems and he does not baby it. I find comments on the VQ interesting, sounds like Nissan has problems there too and I am NOT suprised at all.

I ask any one to google "Xtrail Rear Brakes" to see what I deal with now with my Nissan Xtrail. Every 47,000kms both rear wheel assemblies completely pile up due to undersized seals on brake assemblies and poorly engineered clearances, the slightest dust piles them up. To make things worse only one brake assembly has audible warning system for brake problems. Nissan will not warrantee this and people all over the world have this happening to them as it did me, it is a [censored] off.

I am buying a toyota next purchase, Nissan is NOT the company I once knew and experienced decades ago. The poor Nissan filter quality at double the price really broke my back in 4 decades of patronizing Nissan faithfully.

Cyprs

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac

Did you actually speak to someone from Nissan Canada or just your dealer?
I don't know about Canada, but you can use whatever parts here as long as they meet oem spec.

My parents have a 2005 Nissan Quest. No oil consumption issue, but always makes a high pitch noise (tried GTX, Forumla shell, QS, PP, etc) and i guess the noise is coming from the timing-chain. Numerous nissan dealers deny there is a problem. i am expecting the timing-chain is going to fail anytime although it is under 45k km/ 30k miles.
i called the 1-800 number and inquired about warranty on powertrain. They said if the filter causes the engine to fail, it is not covered for warranty. Nissan does not recommend other oil filters that are not designed by nissan. So basically, the rep was saying if your engine fails, nissan is not going to honor your warranty because you put in a different filter. Similarly, look at the GTR, if you turn off the VDC and your warranty is voided. NO more nissan!

My parents have a 2005 Nissan Quest. No oil consumption issue, but always makes a high pitch noise (tried GTX, Forumla shell, QS, PP, etc) and i guess the noise is coming from the timing-chain. Numerous nissan dealers deny there is a problem. i am expecting the timing-chain is going to fail anytime although it is under 45k km/ 30k miles.

Not to go off topic, but do a search for 'Nissan cam-chain whine' on the 'net and see if it sounds like the issue. The secondary cam-chain tensioner blocks get chewed down by the sharp edges on the cam-chain until the chain is running on the metal tensioner plunger. There is a TSB from Nissan about it.

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/10...-tensioner.html

My warrantee is now expired on my 05 X-trail, (we bought the 100,000km/4 year extended comprehensive. My service manager told me years ago that as long as I used an OEM replacement filter which properly cross references to the Nissan OEM then there are no warrantee issues. He said Nissan cannot contest that, he did suggest I not use a Fram, he told me they would prefer to see better qualtity than Fram in after market, after taking apart a Nissan filter now I think I would be better off with a Fram.

Actually Nissan allows two Nissan OEM filters to fit my QR25DE, one which is the size of Tiny Tim's thimble and the second larger one about 1 inch longer which cross refferences to my Baldwin B1402 which I use now.

Cyprs

Interesting, I hope that is true about using after market filter... we all know that nissan warranty is not impressive. When there is a problem, nissan is going to find something to blame for. BTW, the powertrain warranty is 5 yr/100k km. If your X-trail is under 100k km, the warranty is not voided(hopefully).

i called the 1-800 number and inquired about warranty on powertrain. They said if the filter causes the engine to fail, it is not covered for warranty. Nissan does not recommend other oil filters that are not designed by nissan. So basically, the rep was saying if your engine fails, nissan is not going to honor your warranty because you put in a different filter. Similarly, look at the GTR, if you turn off the VDC and your warranty is voided. NO more nissan!

"If" the filter causes the engine to fail they would not honor the warranty. The burden of proof that the oil filter caused the engine to fail would be on Nissan.

Also, Nissan has to recommend the use of their own filters. They're not going to tell you a Mobil 1 is better and go with that. It comes to profit and liability.

If you're hearing timing chain noise then is it possible that the engine is low on oil?

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

Not to go off topic, but do a search for 'Nissan cam-chain whine' on the 'net and see if it sounds like the issue. The secondary cam-chain tensioner blocks get chewed down by the sharp edges on the cam-chain until the chain is running on the metal tensioner plunger. There is a TSB from Nissan about it.

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/10...-tensioner.html

Quality. It's optional.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the VQ35 was voted as one of top ten engines in world, my brother in law has a 06 Maxima and loves his 6 cylinder engine, no problems and he does not baby it. I find comments on the VQ interesting, sounds like Nissan has problems there too and I am NOT suprised at all.

I think the VQ is a great engine, but it has its quirks. It has a good amount of horsepower and torque and in my experience it is quite smooth. My car has the earlier VQ35 so I guess they didn't work everything out yet; like the rear valve cover that leaks oil into the spark plugs (can be fixed with a new valve cover from the 04+ Maxima).

I am buying a toyota next purchase, Nissan is NOT the company I once knew and experienced decades ago. The poor Nissan filter quality at double the price really broke my back in 4 decades of patronizing Nissan faithfully.

Cyprs

I've only had my Maxima for three months and 3,000 miles but I like it so far. The build quality is good. The materials used seem to be good. It has a good amount of features for its class of cars. I'm only averaging 22.5 mpg though. I guess the VQ is a thirstier v6.

My mom's Camry is a good car. I wouldn't want to own one though. Nothing wrong with the car but it's not my cup of tea.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac

I've only had my Maxima for three months and 3,000 miles but I like it so far. The build quality is good. The materials used seem to be good. It has a good amount of features for its class of cars. I'm only averaging 22.5 mpg though. I guess the VQ is a thirstier v6.

I've got a 2004 Altima with the V6 3.5L VQ. It's been getting about 23 mpg with 1/3 city, 2/3 higway driving. It's rated at 26 mpg hiway. Seems to be pretty good on gas considering the size and power output of that V6.

The [censored] auto industry is moving over to let the Koreans run the show now. Thats what greed gets you, the customers have been loyal- it is a shame the [censored] auto industry has not stayed loyal to their craftsmanship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back