good product for cleaning engine deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Boatowner
Nother thought, what about running Redline or some other Group V ester based oil for a change? They are supposed to clean more aren't they?

Red Line's composition makes it a decent cleaning oil. Probably more so than any other. It could make sense if someone used one $8 oil or another and could get the same utility out of both to just use Red Line.

But I don't know if Red Line de-cokes rings. It may, but I've never seen it used with that intent. I also ponder how many OCI's it would take to do a decent job. For the average conventional or lower priced synth user, it may take longer and be more expensive.

Auto-Rx and Red Line do share POE (polyol ester) as a component. I believe it's a cutting agent in Auto-Rx.

I ran RX after Redline 5W30 in the Outback not long after purchase, did a far better job. About to change to rinse oil nowm a new clean some 65,000 kms after initial clean, the oil is so black it isn't funny.

Just run a few oil changes with Maxlife Semi syn and you will be shocked how clean your engine gets. I have run my sons 99 Olds Aurora with Maxlife semi 10W30 to slow down a leak and it worked. After 2 oil/filter changes every 4K miles it just about stopped the leak and I was shock how clean the engine looked. It looked just about new with 120K miles on the ODO. I'll never use engine flushes, etc again. The engine also runs very smooth. I am sold on Maxlife Semi syn and the $15 5 quart price is an added bonus.

Originally Posted By: fito
Just run a few oil changes with Maxlife Semi syn and you will be shocked how clean your engine gets. I have run my sons 99 Olds Aurora with Maxlife semi 10W30 to slow down a leak and it worked. After 2 oil/filter changes every 4K miles it just about stopped the leak and I was shock how clean the engine looked. It looked just about new with 120K miles on the ODO. I'll never use engine flushes, etc again. The engine also runs very smooth. I am sold on Maxlife Semi syn and the $15 5 quart price is an added bonus.

Sounds good to me! Some of these oils are pretty good at cleaning things up and stopping leaks. I was never a fan of Valvoline but am becoming more impressed as time goes by. Sounds like it a cheaper alternative to cleaning up an engine and stopping leaks then some of these expensive additives.

The solvent flush products...Amsoil, SeaFoam, etc,...just thin the oil. I wouldn't drive with these in the oil as it no longer has the original viscosity to protect the bearings. The main benefit of the solvent flushes is to thin the oil for a few minutes of idling operation to allow for a more complete drain when switching types of oil. The worse things that can happen are either the solvent loosening a hunk of glop that plugs the oil pump pick up screen or the oil is thinned so much that engine damage results.

I use Auto-Rx with excellent results.

+1, I'm running maxlife HM on my civic right now and it stopped the tiny leak under the engine. Plus! the oil is really dark just after 1k miles so I think there's an extra good stuff going on in there.

Anyway, I will still put about a pint of MMO before OCI to get better results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Loopie

+1, I'm running maxlife HM on my civic right now and it stopped the tiny leak under the engine. Plus! the oil is really dark just after 1k miles so I think there's an extra good stuff going on in there.

Anyway, I will still put about a pint of MMO before OCI to get better results.

That strategy has worked for my family for decades, and several members on this board. You'd be amazed how many PM's I get about MMO, and then the follow up thank you PM's from first time users searching the board. Good stuff!

AD

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Sounds good to me! Some of these oils are pretty good at cleaning things up and stopping leaks. I was never a fan of Valvoline but am becoming more impressed as time goes by. Sounds like it a cheaper alternative to cleaning up an engine and stopping leaks then some of these expensive additives.

I never thought of valvoline as anything special, but I was impressed at getting a 10% military discount at a Valvoline Instant Oil Change Shop. They also didn't attempt to sell me an air filter which was nice.

I assume their synthetic oil is as good as any on the market, and now they have that engine guarantee program.

I'm going to have to mention that discount to my son. He'll be needing an oil change shortly and finds bringing the car to the Hobby Shack and doing it himself to be a PIA. He didn't take after me. I'm seeing Valvoline is offering some nice oils and is getting a lot of favorable press here, that 10% discount to the Military is a nice touch! I will be passing that info to him! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back