Good or bad choice for new 2.0 ford ecosport?

775 miles on new car. I used Mobil 1 EP 0w20 with a fram ultra filter. Manual states 5w20 or 0w when cold. I wanted to put 0w30 in but probably should wait due to possible warranty concerns. I figured the 0w weight prolly had more synthetic base stock than 5w and should be okay in the summer since the 100c kinematic viscosity is very close to the 5w20. I know many say it’s silly to do an early oil change on a new car but I like to do it to remove any of the metal shavings and assembly contaminants.
Is this oil weight and type good for a 2.0 ford duratec non turbo?

No free oil changes at the dealer?
Ford gives points with a new car purchase that you can use for anything. On a lease I let them do the maintenance for free since it’s their car. I bought this one so I used the points to get all weather floor mats and I’ll do the maintenance. 14.97 for 5 quarts M1 EP after rebate and 8.97 for fram ultra filter. No worries about them screwing anything up/ priceless!

Assuming M1 EP in your desired weight meets the Ford spec, you’re doing just fine.
Well the manual says 5w20 but there is a blip that says 0w20 is acceptable when cold.
I thought that sounded a little silly about cold and not all the time. Many 0w20 are actually thicker than 5w20 yet better cold flow as an added benefit just as the simple fact that they must use a higher percentage of synthetic base than 5w20. I don’t think they can deny warranty work if it’s stated in anyway in the manual. On the extreme heat side they are very close but the 0w20 actually reaches higher temps before thermal breakdown. All odd things you would not think a 0w would provide but actually does.
As for the manual. I really wanted to use 0w30 for the added high temp protection but chickened out for warranty concerns. Probably would be a little better but 0w20 will prolly work pretty good I hope as long as fuel dilllution doesn’t get crazy and I will change before the OLM tells me to

775 miles on new car. I used Mobil 1 EP 0w20 with a fram ultra filter. Manual states 5w20 or 0w when cold. I wanted to put 0w30 in but probably should wait due to possible warranty concerns. I figured the 0w weight prolly had more synthetic base stock than 5w and should be okay in the summer since the 100c kinematic viscosity is very close to the 5w20. I know many say it’s silly to do an early oil change on a new car but I like to do it to remove any of the metal shavings and assembly contaminants.
Is this oil weight and type good for a 2.0 ford duratec non turbo?
New ecosport owner with 2300 miles and just did OCI#1, myself.

First - its a pretty easy oil change, agreed? No undertray and everything exposed and accessible and a nice reusable rubber grommet /washer on the drain plug bolt. Odd choice that the bolt head is 16mm though.

I thought the factory oil was too thin for quiet operation, engine was clattery when revved, but that FF it seemed like a "conventional" so I stuck with that OIL CAP grade which is 5W20. But in synthetic form. I haven't looked up M1 0W20 EP lately but 5w20 tend to be right on the margin. of a 30 grade with tonnes less VM so they are can be formulated to an ideal product.

Two big mistake I'm seeing here,1) that engine needed another 1000miles of wear in on the FF before going to
that M1 EP synthetic oil. 2) The Fram Ultra is a good filter, but you are NOT going 10K/ 1 year on OCI #1 - Still too much wear-in
going on.

I used my proven Magic formula of Valvoline Advanced 5w20 and a 1/2 qt of Castrol GTX Manatec 5W30 as I had used on our Crosstrek.

Then I used the longer but appropriate Motorcraft FL400S filter. Beautiful unit at a bargain price of about three bucks at WM!
That is a great engine with very high 166 HP for its displacement 122 cubic inches, but the 12:1 compression needs a bit of premium in the tank to run smoothly , quietly and correctly. I use about 3 gal of premium under the rest 87 octane.
DO NOT use all premium. NOT needed and it will get sluggish.
That's a comfortable around town car with great seats, a nice base stereo and lots of cargo room - just no back seat room!.
Bargain pirce under 17K too with AWD. Main complaint, the Steering is too darty and nervous - How is yours?
I may have the rear alignment checked - or i'll do it myself. Fuel mileage is terrible at 24 mpg average around town, but not a concern for me.

Welcome to the shrunken, 2/3rds scale Ford Escape Club :)

It appears that the EP 5w20's base stock kind of sucks compared to the EP 0w-20. EP 0w-20 and an ultra is good. I'd worry about the ptu in the awd system because I believe the 2.0 only comes in awd or am I confused.

Friend of mine has one with 1.5? Engine. I put M1 AP 5w20 from “the stash” in with a fram ultra XG-3614 other day

It appears that the EP 5w20's base stock kind of sucks compared to the EP 0w-20. EP 0w-20 and an ultra is good. I'd worry about the ptu in the awd system because I believe the 2.0 only comes in awd or am I confused.
Yep, all titanium’s are 2.0 awd. Ford now puts drain and fill holes on them. They realized they are not lifetime fills. Stuff turns to black crud and they fail if you don’t maintain them. I plan to do fluid maintenance on ptu, trans, and rear end.

New ecosport owner with 2300 miles and just did OCI#1, myself.

First - its a pretty easy oil change, agreed? No undertray and everything exposed and accessible and a nice reusable rubber grommet /washer on the drain plug bolt. Odd choice that the bolt head is 16mm though.

I thought the factory oil was too thin for quiet operation, engine was clattery when revved, but that FF it seemed like a "conventional" so I stuck with that OIL CAP grade which is 5W20. But in synthetic form. I haven't looked up M1 0W20 EP lately but 5w20 tend to be right on the margin. of a 30 grade with tonnes less VM so they are can be formulated to an ideal product.

Two big mistake I'm seeing here,1) that engine needed another 1000miles of wear in on the FF before going to
that M1 EP synthetic oil. 2) The Fram Ultra is a good filter, but you are NOT going 10K/ 1 year on OCI #1 - Still too much wear-in
going on.

I used my proven Magic formula of Valvoline Advanced 5w20 and a 1/2 qt of Castrol GTX Manatec 5W30 as I had used on our Crosstrek.

Then I used the longer but appropriate Motorcraft FL400S filter. Beautiful unit at a bargain price of about three bucks at WM!
That is a great engine with very high 166 HP for its displacement 122 cubic inches, but the 12:1 compression needs a bit of premium in the tank to run smoothly , quietly and correctly. I use about 3 gal of premium under the rest 87 octane.
DO NOT use all premium. NOT needed and it will get sluggish.
That's a comfortable around town car with great seats, a nice base stereo and lots of cargo room - just no back seat room!.
Bargain pirce under 17K too with AWD. Main complaint, the Steering is too darty and nervous - How is yours?
I may have the rear alignment checked - or i'll do it myself. Fuel mileage is terrible at 24 mpg average around town, but not a concern for me.

Welcome to the shrunken, 2/3rds scale Ford Escape Club :)
My alignment was out from the get go so I had the dealer fix it. I did switch out the tires to cross climate 2s which really made it drive smooth. I upsized to 215/50/17. I put McGard lug nuts on cause ford nuts are awful down the road. I just had Krown rust proofing done today so let’s see how long it last with good maintenance.
so far I really like it
Especially for the price

Yep, all titanium’s are 2.0 awd. Ford now puts drain and fill holes on them. They realized they are not lifetime fills. Stuff turns to black crud and they fail if you don’t maintain them. I plan to do fluid maintenance on ptu, trans, and rear end.
Yeah for that ptu I'd honestly just buy a gallon jug of supertech gear oil and change it every 20-25k or get synthetic and go 35-40k. I couldn't imagine that being a lifetime fluid unless ford were to switch it to some 100% synthetic stuff. Heard the factory fills ford uses suck.

My alignment was out from the get go so I had the dealer fix it. I did switch out the tires to cross climate 2s which really made it drive smooth. I upsized to 215/50/17. I put McGard lug nuts on cause ford nuts are awful down the road. I just had Krown rust proofing done today so let’s see how long it last with good maintenance.
so far I really like it
Especially for the price
Nicest running 4 cylinder I've had in ages. Mazda-Ford Duratec 2.0 on steroids. Sounds good too.
NO CVT also!
Comfy seats.
The steering wheel is a bit high and I'm 6'1" with a long torso. Can tilt it down or it will cover the gauges
and it will be tilted "down" :(

but 24 MPG What the hay?

Nicest running 4 cylinder I've had in ages. Mazda-Ford Duratec 2.0 on steroids. Sounds good too.
NO CVT also!
Comfy seats.
The steering wheel is a bit high and I'm 6'1" with a long torso. Can tilt it down or it will cover the gauges
and it will be tilted "down" :(

but 24 MPG What the hay?
Yep. I had many focus cars in the past and always liked the tried and true 2.0 duratec but the trans sucked. Ford to the car out of the United States and fixed that flaw. The ecosport mates it to a great transmission thats been mastered over the years. The car is old school in that it has a mechanical shifter instead of shift by wire knob. It has a real emergency brake not a break by wire. It should be a reliable simple vehicle. Not sure why the car reviewers hate it, it seems all the owners love it.

Yep. I had many focus cars in the past and always liked the tried and true 2.0 duratec but the trans sucked. Ford to the car out of the United States and fixed that flaw. The ecosport mates it to a great transmission thats been mastered over the years. The car is old school in that it has a mechanical shifter instead of shift by wire knob. It has a real emergency brake not a break by wire. It should be a reliable simple vehicle. Not sure why the car reviewers hate it, it seems all the owners love it

Back