Good oil filter for winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in southwest CT. Its nearing snowtime adn cold temperatures coming. What would be a good oil filter, price is not an option, to combat dirt, sand form the road, dirty air, ect. Would you go with pure one, or mobile 1? Not for nothing but on my 1995 plymouth neon, over the past 3 years, Ive notcied my oil looked much better with the pureone, over the mobile 1. Im a 3 month oil change guy, usuly have about 2 to 3,000 miles in that time frame.
Is their another filter? I mean, ive read about oil restriction flows when its winter, so curious too know what kinda alternatives are out thier. I am average commuter, stop and go traffic msotly.... How about the fram Extend guard? On paper, it actaulyl looks like the best fitler they have! Synthetic media, rated at 10 to 20 microns, and has terrific oil flow!
What's everyone think?
popcorn.gif

I'd probably look for an oil filter with a silicone ADBV, I think WIX or napa gold or the new Bosch would work well for you.

I use an oversize Pure One to compensate for thick oil at cold start up.

From the research I've done, the P1 is a very good filter. RockAuto lists your Neon as taking the common 3614 filter. The Motorcraft FL400S is the long version of the 3614, has a silicone valve, and a thread end bypass. If there is enough room, that would be my choice every time, not just winter. If you don't have the room for length, the FL300S is the short/fat version, with the same features.

I missed that this is for a Neon. Same filter as my Metro.
Normal P1 = PL10241 (like 3614 type)
Oversize = PL20195 (like FL400s)
Extra oversize = PL30001 (fatter, but fits the Metro, not sure about the Neon)
Just a suggestion if changing your own oil to pre-fill the larger filter with oil before installing, because it seems to take a while for the large filter to fill up when you first start the car after the oil change = no oil pressure for several seconds. Once full the ADBV keeps it full.

Yes, the 3614 is the number for filters for my car:) good knowledge beanoil:) Ive used bosch before (oil filter # 3330) and the ol looked REALLY good after draining! Ide even swear it outperformed the M1, at least for my car.
As for motorcraft, i havnt been able to find one of thier oil filters, to refference to. I loked on back of supertech oil filters box, and they have a refference number, it was 810 i belive. However, i found motorcraft 910 or 9 20 i think it was, and it looks to be about the sme size as any of the other 3614's. So im gunna try the 910 at one point. The fl300 and fl400 are too big/enormous a filter to use on my car. Ive looked at them, by comaprison, thier almost like 2 filters combined... The 810's loked a tad smaller, so thats why i looked at the 910's.

Quote:

The fl300 and fl400 are too big/enormous a filter to use on my car. Ive looked at them, by comaprison, thier almost like 2 filters combined... The 810's loked a tad smaller, so thats why i looked at the 910's.

The FL400S may be too long for your Neon. The FL300 should fit just fine. It fits on my son's Gen I Neon. The FL1A size fits too ..but extends below the pan. The FL400S would extend too far too.

ziggy - I would not put too much basis into how my oil looked and or that it looked better with a Pure One vs a Mobil 1. The Mobil 1 is a better filter. Oil analysis is the only way to determine the state of the oil. Oil can look pretty dark and still be fine to use. If the additives are still up to par and its not contaminated with AF or metals or silicon or fuel. Its the larger particles that damage bearings and the filter should tale care of them.

I wouldn't overanalyze this. Just try to get one with a silicone adbv. Pureone, Wix, Napa Gold, Mobil 1, Fram Tough Guard, Fram Extended Guard.. All i can think of off the top of my head.

Quote:

I live in southwest CT. Its nearing snowtime adn cold temperatures coming. What would be a good oil filter, price is not an option, to combat dirt, sand form the road, dirty air, ect.

IMHO pretty much whatever works for cleaning well in the summer should do a good job in the winter, as long as you don't have problems with flow restriction. And as long as you go with a good synthetic oil (that will flow, even when cold), I wouldn't worry too much about restriction problems.

Personally, I have Amsoil EaO filters + a bypass system on both mine and my wife's cars (and I'm planning to stay that way "year round"). I chose that combo, as it seems like it would have good flow (the EaO filters supposedly have very good flow for the level of filtration they provide), and also be an extremely good filtering combo (with the EaO filters getting most of the 15+ micron junk, and the bypass unit cleaning up a lot of the remaining junk in the oil).

NOTE: One thing that is worth considering, is running a slightly thinner oil mix in the Winter. For example, I have started using about 1 qt of 0w20 (full synthetic) oil, to my oil mix (for the Winter). A little "thinner" oil in the mix, appears to help flow a fair amount when cold (while still not thinning the oil too much for after the car warms up). OTOH most of the oil I have is 5w30 (synthetic). Once I get that oil used up, I may just switch to 0w30 oil. And if the 0w30 oil is thin enough (when cold) all by itself, I may not have any need for 0w20 oil in the mix...

Well, even the FL300 looks kinda big and bulky, when comparing it next too a 3614 filter. If i use the motorcraft Fl300, will i have any oil pressure or filtering problems? Ive NEVER ventured outta what my car specd for, so jsut wanna ask and play it safe... Iv read so many articles here though, that motorcraft is an excellent filter... so i wanna try it sometime.

No, you won't have any issues. In fact, the larger can will allow you to add a little more oil at change time, during fill. There is little doubt, judging from can size, that there is more media in the FL300, for what should amount to a longer OCI, if you choose. Get it at Wal-Mart and it will be a comparable price to the Fram line, and a better filter to boot. Go for it!
thumbsup.gif

Here are filter media measurements for the 3614 sized filters.
http://wiggs.iskewl.org/filters/

I use pureolator 14670 (viper,ram) sized filters on my 2002 acr (neon) as the motorcraft sticks out past my oilpan. The 14670 pure-one does not and has TWICE the filter media as the 3614 (stock filter). It is much bigger than the stock filter but the gasket and threads are the same so no problems. All of us scca guys use them and 90% of the members on neons.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back