Good motor or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Engines weren't bad. For that era, Chrysler made some of the worst automatic transmissions on the road, however.

I agree 100%!

It does have a timing belt, and it sometimes has coil pack issues, but otherwise it is okay.

Now the rest of the car is an issue.

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Engines weren't bad. For that era, Chrysler made some of the worst automatic transmissions on the road, however.

I agree 100%!
good motor bad tranny. If you can afford an aftermarket replacement for it, go for it, but the factory ones that came in it were awful.

I don't know that the Chrysler transmissions were any worse than any one else's. Everyone had tranmission problems during that era.

The 3.2 is the best of the three engines that Chrysler came out with in '98 for the LH cars. The others were the 2.7 and aluminum 3.5. I understand the transmission problems were pretty much solved in 2000. Years ago, I put a 2000 transmission in a '95 LHS and it worked beautifully. I sold the car to a friends son and he is still driving it with way over 200K. It was used when installed with an alleged 90K on it, so right now it has over 150K. The TCM was flashed and nothing but ATF +4 was used.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
the 2.7 is a great engine for us engine rebuilders not the person that has to pay to keep it running

I had a 2002 stratus with the 2.7L. It was a powerful motor for that car and got great gas mileage. I really really liked that car. Never had a problem with the engine as it was spotless at 112K but thats when it decided to blow a head gasket... Yep, that caused me to get a different car. It was crazy expensive quotes to replace that gasket.

my 2.7 is healthy!
DK91NcVl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back