2013 Impala, 3.6L V6

Any thoughts on the overall reliability of this engine or this model/year car in general? It‘s listed as a fleet sales model so it’s pretty stripped down and not at all fancy, so that means less interior stuff to break. Is the 3.6L V6 a decent engine?

My friend Bill said that unless the early years of this engine has had the time chain set updated, that this is one of the worse engines GM has ever made. They have done timing chains on many of them before it grenades the engine. They have also swapped out many of these engines that grenaded because of the timing chain.

My friend Bill said that unless the early years of this engine has had the time chain set updated, that this is one of the worse engines GM has ever made. They have done timing chains on many of them before it grenades the engine. They have also swapped out many of these engines that grenaded because of the timing chain.
Well, that’s certainly good to know! Thanks.

I thought GM had most of the timing chain issues sorted by the time they released the LFX version of the 3.6L. The LFX is what would be in this Impala. The iterations before the LFX had most of the issues is my understanding. My parents have this engine in their 2014 Impala and its on its original timing set at ~145k miles.

fleet vehicle may have an extensive history...if proper oil changes were performed you should be good to go unless higher mileage (over 120K or so) then you may have to repair/replace timing components...

Bill

I thought GM had most of the timing chain issues sorted by the time they released the LFX version of the 3.6L. The LFX is what would be in this Impala. The iterations before the LFX had most of the issues is my understanding. My parents have this engine in their 2014 Impala and its on its original timing set at ~145k miles.
The LGX and LGZ replaced the LFX which was plagued with problems. LGX/LGZ are very reliable.

I have a 2015 Chevy with an LFX. After owning it I personally believe it's a great engine, and if you look online people will generally say it's a very reliable engine overall. The first few years had timing chain issues due to the OLM recommending too long of intervals, but with proper maintenance I would expect this to be a very trouble free engine.

I beat the **** out of my LFX, and at 100k miles with no engine work other than oil changes, it burns near 0 oil (oil still full at oil changes), no coolant leaks, and no degradation in performance that I can notice

Plus, for a V6 it's pretty fast. That's important too

I can tell you they don't like being run low on oil and if you drive them hard they'll use oil. If you don't drive like an animal and check the oil once in a while it should be OK.

I know someone who had a 2013 Impala with that V6 and the engine locked up or otherwise stopped working. That guy's level of understanding of engines is such that he refers to every engine failure as a "cracked block" and that has happened to him more than a couple of times. I know he ran the engine almost completely out of oil because I checked it one day and it wasn't even showing on the dipstick. I added 5 quarts to bring it to full. It holds 6.

I wouldn't say that this guy's experience with that Impala is indicative of any problems with it--that guy has wrecked or killed (lack of maintenance) a bunch of different vehicles. I think he could destroy a Sherman tank. Worth noting that I let him drive my 2004 Ford Crown Vic which never used any oil when I drove it, he got it using a quart almost every 5000 miles. (I would never, knowing what I now do, let him drive any vehicle of mine again).

1700572629279.jpeg

2012 GM 3.6 with original chain on nothing but dealer bulk and Valvoline Blend. Sold in 2021 for reasons other than the engine. It was a decent engine as the chain issues were resolved by that time.

My concern for yours would be extended drains and not being regularly topped off which are conditions this engine does not do well under. I’ve driven many fleet vehicles and most are rode hard and put up wet.

I’m surprised about all the negative comments here. The 2012+ Impala is probably the one to buy with the 3.6 LFX and 6T70. By then, they had most of the issues ironed out on the vehicle. The timing chain issues were resolved by then. As another post said, I’d look for one with good maintenance history. If anything, I’d say it’s a better combo than the 3.9L/4T65 (?). The older impalas with the 3.8 series 2 weren’t the high mark of GM’s design and development and imho wouldn’t consider them.

Take a gander at Impala forums - there are plenty of examples with 200k miles on them without burning oil. Oh, and it’s got an actual trans drain plug!

Last edited:
2013 3.6 6T70 owner here. The LFX had the timing chain issues sorted out as was already mentioned. Mine is closing in on 140k and has been a reliable vehicle with no issues other than an HVAC actuator going out. Common issue for this vehicle and about a $20 and 15 minute fix. I recommend the LTZ edition. Bose sound system and heated leather seats are nice in the winter.

If it’s had regular oil changes and not run low on oil, it will be fine. It’s the same with the 2.4 Ecotec, well-maintained ones don’t tend to have problems.

Back