Need advice/info on 2013-2016 Acadia and Traverse with V6

We had a 2009 Saturn Aura XR with the 3.6 awhile back (bought used in 2011 and it was a rental car too). Kept it for about 125,000 miles and we didn't have any real issues with it. My local mechanic told me to change the oil at 5K (forget the oil change minder) and run full syn.

Really appreciate the input. They decided to look at other options. I agree with the above suggestion of a Pathfinder. Maybe Xterra. Toyota Highlander. There is a nice looking 2014 Mazda CX9 that might be a possibility , also.

If the Mazda CX-9 is from any of the states that use rock salt in the winter be sure to have it very well inspected for significant rust to the frame. While Japanese vehicles in general are known for their reliability, they are also known for their susceptibility to resting out if they are exposed to salt. And Mazda vehicles have a reputation for rusting out worse than the other Japanese vehicles. So if you're serious about the Mazda then make sure it is very well inspected for rust. I'm not talking about just surface rust I'm talking about something that is bad enough that the vehicle may not be drivable in a few years.

Really appreciate the input. They decided to look at other options. I agree with the above suggestion of a Pathfinder. Maybe Xterra. Toyota Highlander. There is a nice looking 2014 Mazda CX9 that might be a possibility , also.
I would stay away from any Mazda CX-9 with the Ford V6 (3.5/3.7).

They made the water pump internal so the engine could be used in a transverse application. If the WP leaks, the coolant can get into the sump and ruin the engine quickly.

I think MY2016 and newer all use Mazda's 2.5T, which doesn't have the internal WP.

If I were in their situation, I'd look long and hard at a minivan. The Dodge Grand Caravan 2014 on, and the Toyota Sienna have been pretty reliable.

This has been covered here before the current line of 3.6s do not suffer timing chain issues. There are a few different variations of the engine. Cline has covered it in depth before. You would be concerned with LLT They had most of the timing chain failures. The LFX, LF3, LF4, LFY, LGX and LGZ do not suffer the issue like the LLT. The LLT was used from 08 To 2017. The LFX was phased out in 2020. You have to figure out engine code and build date as some time around 2012 components were updated, but the stigma last due to bad information.

Having said that I think a mini van would be best. The are way cheaper and the ones I have driven were not really all that bad.

Back