Used VW Atlas?

What is the BITOG opinion on the VW Atlas?

Looking around 2017-19 year range?

Any major drivetrain issues or anything else to be aware of or look out for?

What is the BITOG opinion on the VW Atlas?

Looking around 2017-19 year range?

Any major drivetrain issues or anything else to be aware of or look out for?
You can find my 6 year ownership post here using the search feature and my user name and "Atlas" in the title.

Last edited:

We bought a used 21 VW Atlas late summer 23. It had roughly 32k miles on it. We have already racked up rouhgly 10k miles on it. We had to have the shifter linkage replaced on it a few weeks after we purchased it. Otherwise it has been completely trouble free. It rides great with plenty of storage. We have the V6 and 4motion. When we got over 2 feet of snow in roughly 2 weeks my wife raived about it.
We have used it to haul flooring, our boat, and it is the family hauler to all sporting events. It does not tow as well as the Suburban it replaced or my truck, but we new that going inot it. It does do the job though.

IMG_3064.jpg

IMG_3400 (1).jpg

The only thing I am going to add, after racking up 25k in 10 months (currently at 40k), is that 20" wheels with 255/50 R20 are brutal on rough roads. I got 18" wheels as soon as I got Atlas, slapped 235/65 R18 snow tires. That transformed vehicle. But last year, during our two road trips, one being 4,200 miles, I realized that I needed 18" for summer too. I got rid of 20" in January and got used 18" wheels, and will slap 265/60 R18 tires (30.5" tires are allowed on Atlas) after winter.

Another issue FOR ME, and that is a big complaint among enthusiasts, is softer suspension than what to expect from VW. I will go H&R springs that are 1" higher and Bilstein shocks to firm it up. For many people it is fine. One thing is when loaded, it is pinned down and handles actually better than when empty.
Yosemite-Hotel-2.jpg

Unless you live at altitude most would tell you to get one with the VR6. I've heard fuel mileage isn't great compared to other V6s in class.

Unless you live at altitude most would tell you to get one with the VR6. I've heard fuel mileage isn't great compared to other V6s in class.
It's pretty bad...around town you're lucky to see 15 but I can easily nab mid-20s on a highway trip. I know @edyvw has one with the 2.0 and he's at elevation and has reminded a sea-level scumdog like myself of this point many times ahhaha

It's pretty bad...around town you're lucky to see 15 but I can easily nab mid-20s on a highway trip. I know @edyvw has one with the 2.0 and he's at elevation and has reminded a sea-level scumdog like myself of this point many times ahhaha
Lol.
2.0 in town here (lot’s of uphill/downhill) 20-22mpg. In open, being disciplined at 75-80mph I can hit 26-28mpg, but being really disciplined . But, that rarely happens.

I have a 2021.5 2.0T with 30k miles. Owned since new.

Highway mileage regularly exceeds the 24 highway rating. I’ve seen 28 over long highway trips.

I love ours. It’s big, it’s quick enough, it’s soft and stable. It’s a great family hauler on the highway.

The semi-metallic VW brake pads are known to create noise.

I know the 2.0T has had intake valve coking in the past with usually more than 75K miles. The 2.0T in the past also had oil separator/PCV problems that could suck the rear main seal out of sealing. Not sure if these are still an issue. I recently changed a PCV as routine maintenance. I will wait until she,(stepdaughter), notices any driveability problems or codes pop up before removing the intake manifold.

Early Atlas were fuel pigs with VR6 that did not offer much more then their 2.0T which offers similar if not occasionally better acceleration however towing might be down.

I know the 2.0T has had intake valve coking in the past with usually more than 75K miles. The 2.0T in the past also had oil separator/PCV problems that could suck the rear main seal out of sealing. Not sure if these are still an issue. I recently changed a PCV as routine maintenance. I will wait until she,(stepdaughter), notices any driveability problems or codes pop up before removing the intake manifold.
Neither of those are an issue on the Gen 3 E888...you are over 10 years old with those issues now.

Well hers is a 2016. Seems I changed the separator for practice. I still have the old one on a shelf in a box somewhere.

The VR6 is now history and the 2L has been juiced up 😁
OP is looking 2017-2019. If it were me I'd get a 2.0 and tune it or box it which would allow it to well surpass the VR6 in power and keep the better economy. Pretty sure if you want a nicer trim though you have to get the VR6.

Back