Good idea to change oil filter every 5000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mustangmaster
When letting your oil changes go 10,000 and above? After all, the filter traps all the mess/dirt/sediment. Or does the high quality oils of today self cleaning enough to not worry about changing a filter every 5000 miles?

Oil change every 5K and filter changes every 10K.

Originally Posted By: Canadastang
Originally Posted By: Linctex

Oddly, my 454 (7.4L) in my 1995 K3500 doesn't use any oil - with 272,000 miles on it. It's never seen synthetic oil and always had the cheapest filter money could buy. Strange, huh?

Lol yep, sometimes I think we're all overthinking this and even if we just used bulk dino oil and dirt cheap filters changed once in a while, our engines would last just as long as running a diet of say M1, RP, Amsoil and Fram Ultra's.

It'd be neat to see a controlled study of identical vehicles with the same driving routes, with one group using top notch synthetic and top notch filters, and the other running jiffy lube oils and bottom barrel filters.

gee....do you think some might be over-thinking this???....lol. Yeah about 90% of the people on this site are like advertising controlled robots....Max Life...Mobil 1....Valvoline Ultra....its gets repetitive. I've said it before, I'll say it again, most mechanical failures are design related assuming a reasonable maintenance schedule...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: barryh
The bypass opens at every cold start regardless of how old the filter is.

Perhaps, but it's typically not "wide open" like some people like to think it is. It only needs to open enough to meet flow when differential pressure exceeds spring pressure....

and I'll bet that in reality, it often opens and flows less than 10% of what it's capable of.

MOST of the oil is still going through the filter element.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I go 12K on Tough Guard, Wix or Ultras.... (two 6K OCIs)

Very easy job for that filter
smile.gif

When letting your oil changes go 10,000 and above? After all, the filter traps all the mess/dirt/sediment. Or does the high quality oils of today self cleaning enough to not worry about changing a filter every 5000 miles?

With the 10K OCIs I have been doing for the last 39 years, I have never had visible mess, dirt or sediment. Even at 200K my 2007 Fusion is like new clean.

It depends on the use and care of the vehicle. Someone driving a 2017 25k or an 07 200k is running the engine a lot. Someone driving 5k per year in a cold climate may be over extending at 5k changes. If the thermostat isn't opening at factory spec 5k may be over extending. Check the filter and oil and increase or decrease the interval accordingly. Water in oil is a big concern, and synthetic doesn't help that. There is no one size fits all.

Oil should be changed more than the filter. Many manufacturers say to change the filter every second oil change now. Besides, a dirty filter filters better than a new one.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Mustangmaster said:

Oddly, my 454 (7.4L) in my 1995 K3500 doesn't use any oil - with 272,000 miles on it. It's never seen synthetic oil and always had the cheapest filter money could buy. Strange, huh?

Hey Linctex - did that '95 K3500 come with a factory oil-cooler? (circulates thru side of radiator like trans-oil) ??

just wondering; my '05 3500 van did, and at 276K miles also doesn't burn a drop of oil either (at 7k average change intervals - ST full Syn 5-30 &fram ultra - first 100k was conv. oil & cheap filter every 3k )!

This is a very interesting discussion! I'm preparing for my next oil change in my Odyssey and I'm thinking I'd really like to try the every other OCI schedule for filter changes.

I have all of the service records from the original owner(I'm the second owner) and, as far as I can tell, they replaced the filter with every oil change. They did all of their maintenance at the Honda dealer where I used to work and where I bought the van (that's how I got the records).

Being that it's a Honda it has the Maintenance Minder system, which recommends changing the filter with every other OCI.

I'm thinking with my next OCI, which will start with a B on the MM (meaning change oil and filter), I'll do NAPA Full Synthetic 5W-20 with a NAPA Platinum 47356 filter. I plan to use that for a total of 14k miles or two OCIs. I've been changing oil and filter around 5,500 miles with synthetic blend bulk oil. I'm excited to see how the van likes the full synthetic and upgraded filter!

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000

Hey Linctex - did that '95 K3500 come with a factory oil-cooler? (circulates thru side of radiator like trans-oil) ??

Yes, Sir - - it sure does

I run my Fram Ultras filters for 2 oil changes, I pull the filter and drain the oil and use a closed ball point pen to open up the anti-backflow flap to drain whats in there. Fill it with fresh oil like I do with a new one, and screw it back up and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: Mainia
I run my Fram Ultras filters for 2 oil changes, I pull the filter and drain the oil and use a closed ball point pen to open up the anti-backflow flap to drain whats in there. Fill it with fresh oil like I do with a new one, and screw it back up and call it a day.

I think you are more of a gambler than most. I would never take off a filter to get a few ounces of oil out of it that ain't going to hurt anything anyways and then reinstall it. Not to mention the hassle.

Same - kind of defeats the purpose ... this M212 has 10k on it (two oil changes on my oil killer motor).

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
I change the filter AND oil every 5,000 miles or six months.

X2
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
I change the filter AND oil every 5,000 miles or six months.

X2
cheers3.gif

Six months/5000 miles.New oil and filter.

Normally I'm all for long OCIs a long FCIs but I have a gas engine that's burning a bit of oil and I think it is suffering from blow by of the piston rings. I notice that the filter has a build up of black/carbon crud so I'm thinking of not taking the filter out past 8,000 miles until I see a clean looking filter. Filter life can depend on engine wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back