Good but inexpensive tools?

Channel lock had a set of tools for $99.00 or so at Sams Club ,looked nice,,myself like/use Masterforce from Menards,,or any store brand like kobalt etc will be fine, at a affordable price. check out the Craftsman sets when on sale also.

Things that I commonly use I just pick something with lifetime warranty off Home Depot. If it breaks or is not precise enough then I would buy something better. For something that I need to use once, probably Harbor Freight and if it breaks I go exchange for another one asap.

For "basic/minimal" home use the "hyper tough" tools from Walmart are more or less the equivalent of HF's Pittsburg line. I threw a set together for my sister-in-law of basic screw drivers, adjustable end wrenches, various pliers and a set of 3/8 inch metric and SAE sockets. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality. I used them to change oil on a classic car, put new batteries in two pickups, installed some light fixtures, etc. They were perfectly adequate for that kind of work. We'll add to her little tool box as the need arises. Some of the items had lifetime warranties. I think the shortest was 5 years. Best thing is that there is a Walmart seemingly in every city and town in the country. Yes, there's better stuff out there, but if you just need basic tools, Wally world can usually supply what you need and at very reasonable prices.

Being serious though, 6pt or 12pt for the basic starter socket set and why?
6 point are stronger and less likely to round a bolt if its stuck. However there thicker, meaning getting them down into a hole is an issue. If the bolt is completely exposed then not a problem.

12 point tend to be thinner walled.

This is why impact are usually 6, and the others are usually 12 point. Both have there use.

I will also mention that I have had a couple cheap 6 point impact sets and they were pretty sloppy on the fastener, so if you really need to pry on something quality 6 points might be worth the money to buy at least one decent socket for that job.

Thanks for all the excellent replies. I'm 67 and will be a very basic user so I'm going to look at some of the more basic sets, maybe a 3/8 set as a good starter. I may do this horn installation and not do anything else. And I will only be doing anything that happens in an upright position. My crawling under vehicles days are past. Thanks again for the great responses. I'm on a few good tracks for my research.
In that case, get a lift!

As many others said, Tekton, Gearwrench, Craftsman, Crescent, etc. Many of the HF offerings are good...I like their Icon and Quinn lines overall, but the Pittsburgh swivel head ratchets are the bee's knees! These are identical to Tekton for a little less $. And unless you will work on older cars, you don't need SAE tools; everything has been metric for the past 20+ years.

Also a few good screwdrivers are essential...Vessel, Wiha, etc. outperform the box store brands.

Last edited:
In that case, get a lift!

As many others said, Tekton, Gearwrench, Craftsman, Crescent, etc. Many of the HF offerings are good...I like their Icon and Quinn lines overall, but the Pittsburgh swivel head ratchets are the bee's knees! These are identical to Tekton for a little less $. And unless you will work on older cars, you don't need SAE tools; everything has been metric for the past 20+ years.

Also a few good screwdrivers are essential...Vessel, Wiha, etc. outperform the box store brands.
As soon as that lotto win happens I'll have a whole new garage including the lift. :) Until then it's upright for me.

My tools arrived yesterday. I showed them to my friends that own one of the pro shops in town and they thought they are very good tools. Now I'm just waiting on the horn kit to arrive.

I have some really nice old Craftsman tools from the 80s and some newer HF tools. The Craftsman are nicer but the HF get the job done, especially their ratchets and sockets.

I got this Crescent set for Xmas around 20 years ago. It's my road trip tools (or when I can't find a 10mm socket). IIRC, Costco price was ~$80 (??).

20240609_120235_cropped_resized.jpg

I used it around the house when doing routine maintenance and repairs on the cars before putting the stamp of approval on it. Made in China but decent tools. The case is starting to fail; the tabs that snap the "doors" shut are starting to break off (fatigue).

Might find similar ones at HF or Amazon.

I personally think anything with lifetime warranty and good reviews is fine. Craftsman, duralast, harbor freight, etc.

I'll get crap for saying it, but unless you're a professional mechanic, these will do fine. And if you use it enough to break, then you should invest in a better one
Agree 100%

I'm a garage mechanic/DIY guy. I do most things around my house and to my car. I buy the craftsman, Lowes, HD and yes, sometimes Harbor freight/Northern Tool stuff. If I use a tool a dozen times and it breaks, I'll but a higher quality item.

I had to replace the drive shafts of my wifes Santa Fe back in 2015 or so. Boots had tore and were leaking. I didn't have an impact socket big enough for the axle nut. I went to Northern tool and got one for about $8? Worked fine. If I ran a shop and used it all the time, I would have gotten something better.

My toolbox is a hodge podge of tools I've been collecting since I joined the Navy, all have served me well, Thank you Uncle Sam, :sneaky:
LOL. So, you reminded me.

My ship was in the shipyard for an extended overhaul. We had some tools on the crews barge that were pretty old and beat up, but were still name brand stuff like SK, crescent, etc. WHen the crew was outfitted back onto the ship, we got a lot of new tool sets, so the old ones on barge, basically trash. My Chief at the time wasn't a big tool guy, so I had duty one night and he told me to "dispose of them."

Needless to say, I still have a lot of them to this day (that was circa 94 probably.) Still work fine. Bunch of wrenches, sockets, pliers, screwdrivers, etc.

Tekton.

Really good quality tools, and at an attractive price. Many made in the US.

I would buy directly from them. They offer a 10% rewards program, spend $100, get a $10 credit for future purchases.

Another plus of Tekton is the cases their tools often come in. Good cases, great for keeping the tools organized and accountable, but take up very little space. Very easy to store the Tekton tool cases.

A course of action would be to buy a Tekton socket set, a Husky "do all" socket extension set, and a small amount of miscellaneous hand tools. Although I own likely a dozen sets of "all in one tool kits" from Kobalt, Husky, Harbor Freight- I find the poor quality of all in one tool kits a liability when the going gets tough.

I'm very pleased with the Tekton choice. If only my skills and abilities were even half as good as these tools. I'll add one or two adjustable wrenches and likely a few other things in time but I'm basically set for anything I'll ever be capable of, and then some. I appreciate all the excellent input and feedback on this thread. It was beneficial.

Tekton.

Really good quality tools, and at an attractive price. Many made in the US.

I would buy directly from them. They offer a 10% rewards program, spend $100, get a $10 credit for future purchases.

10% credit on all purchases unless this has changed.

10% credit on all purchases unless this has changed.
Nope, hasn't changed. I bought the tools in post 30 and using that 10% I got two pliers and a mini pry-bar for barely more than a couple of dollars. And I got a couple of dollars credit on that transaction so basically free.

I was in your position 3 years ago. I owned a small hodgepodge of Craftman tools. In order for me to begin restoring Volvo 240s I needed to up my game.

@Astro14 sent me to Williams. Superb 1/4” drive ratchet and socket set.

Then landed on Tekton and their ratchet and socket sets. They have served me well.

My mechanic of 38 years has me buy them for him and his techs as well. No issues or complaints.

For the money, I don’t think you can go wrong with Tekton.

Back