Good but inexpensive tools?

Thanks for all the excellent replies. I'm 67 and will be a very basic user so I'm going to look at some of the more basic sets, maybe a 3/8 set as a good starter. I may do this horn installation and not do anything else. And I will only be doing anything that happens in an upright position. My crawling under vehicles days are past. Thanks again for the great responses. I'm on a few good tracks for my research.
Go to Harbor Freight and check out the Icon sockets and ratchets, the Pittsburgh ratchets are not bad either. I think any of these will fit your needs without putting a big dent in the wallet. The Icon tools are really okay, they are decent tools made in Taiwan, I have definitely seen much worse. The walk in lifetime replacement warranty on hand tools is worth considering. JMHO

Oh what a rabbit hole.
On Amazon you have a plethora of choices. Some good, many chinese knock offs with no names.
If I needed to rebuild from scratch, Tekton or Gearwrench chrome sockets, Gearwrench ratchets, Astro Penumatic for impact sockets, take your pick for screwdrivers. Wrenches are expensive now, but bite the bullet and get Tekton.
Harbor freight: A full set of Doyle pliers, and/or whatever they have. Pittsburgh aluminum jack and 3 or 6 ton stands. Quinn sockets and are good but have some weird skips.

All of these tools are good enough to hand down to someone else later and wont absolutely destroy your pocketbook. If you do not want to spend the time gathering tools, Quinn at Harbor freight has a full set for under $400. They are a step above junk, and near par to Gearwrench imo. There are a few wasteful things like 12 point sockets, but when you need them, you need them. https://www.harborfreight.com/master-technicians-tool-set-428-piece-58154.html

The next level is investing in battery or corded tools, which deserves its own thread of which there have been many.

I have no tools basically. I'm adding a second horn to my new car and want to do it myself. Is there such a thing as good but comparatively inexpensive tools? I'd love a large cabinet full of SO or Mac etc. but don't have a winning lotto ticket. So are there brands worth considering and who sells them. I'm near Houston and not too farm from smaller country towns that have TSC etc. as well so I probably can get to about anywhere. Thanks for any recommendations.

For what you want (as some have stated) box store tools will suffice.
I'm close to your age and started building a collection when I was 17.
During every major holiday, box stores, farm stores and the chain hardware stores (Ace/True Value/Do it Best, etc) will have sales. Bookmark their sites and peruse their ads regularly. When they have a deal, jump on it.
You mention having a TSC close to you. Become friends with their clearance section. I have bought some decent stuff out of that section for pennies on the dollar. Not tool truck quality, but more than good enough for homeowner work.
Also after the first of the year, hit up Homer and Lowes. Generally they will mark down all the Christmas leftovers even more. I've picked up some nice things for pocket change at both of those stores and TSC.
If you want inexpensive, view building a collection as a process and not and an event. Make sure you have the basics, and add on when you can find a deal.

Well, for better or worse I've gone with these as my starting point. A little more expensive but I believe better quality and a grandson will be able to use them through his lifetime and pass them along again as well. Time will tell how wise I was or wasn't. And a bonus, free shipping plus $36 credit toward next order.

Last edited:
I believe it was the Haynes manual for my Jeep that said to buy inexpensive and replace with quality as needed and depending on the level of use. I agree with this.

You did good on your choices.

I've had great luck with Tekton and Sunnex tools, usually buy them from Amazon.

I've pretty much stopped buying tools from Harbor Freight, unless I need a cheap wrench to grind down or cut in half to make a special tool.
tekton, sunnex, capri, and duratech make up most of my tool collection, along with some harbor freight and craftsman sockets.

Hit the box stores after Father's Day for their starter kits.

Check out garagejournal.com's tool clearance thread--it's better than BITOGs.

We live in pretty good times, Snap-On invented "flank drive" over the past not-long and others are copying it. Basic wrenches and sockets have never been better.

My toolbox is a hodge podge of tools I've been collecting since I joined the Navy, all have served me well, Thank you Uncle Sam, :sneaky:

Well, for better or worse I've gone with these as my starting point. A little more expensive but I believe better quality and a grandson will be able to use them through his lifetime and pass them along again as well. Time will tell how wise I was or wasn't. And a bonus, free shipping plus $36 credit toward next order.

Those are good tools. You’ll be happy.

Each of my daughters has a car. Each of them have a 1/4” socket set from Tekton, just to have around, that I sent them. They don’t need professional tools, just something that works on the off chance that they need a tool.

I have a complete, extensive, tool set down at my shop. Mostly new.

I have my old tools back at the house. 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch, and 1/2 sockets and ratchets. Nice pliers. Combination wrenches. Screwdrivers.

In the back of my truck is another toolbox. I needed some good quality tools that may never get used. So, I didn’t want to spend a lot (as I did on the shop, with Stahlwille, Hazet, Williams, Koken, Nepros and others).

There’s a set of Tekton sockets and wrenches in there.

My grandson works in a mechanic shop while he attends technical school . He's just a shop grunt but he's getting a little experience with minor things . I bought him a 5 drawer Craftsman tool box and started stocking it little by little with miscellaneous tools . Things that I had duplicates , etc. Some of it was Harbor Freight , some was Williams , etc. Something to build on . The problem is that the tool truck comes to their shop and his eyes get big . I chewed his butt out and told him to stay out of that truck .

Back