Going 10,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doublebase
I'm in the middle of my first 10k mile interval, and I've got to be honest I'm getting a little antsy sitting here at the 5k mark, knowing I still need to go another 5k.

As of right now the oil level is still fine, but it's getting a little dark...I'm going to trust what everyone says...that the color of oil means nothing.

I'm running TGMO....9.1 quarts...Lexus LS 460....I'll probably chicken out at 8k miles:(

9.1 quarts!? I wouldn't hesitate to go 10k miles with a good oil, unless the engine is a known sludger.

I'm sure Ford mad the recommendation without any data or studies. Right?
smile.gif
LOL.

Any 90s car/truck and newer...10k on any syn oil in correct spec, should be a nooooooo brainer. Been doing it for years with terolatro filters no less, 10k fci too!

Engineering moves forward in oil science but people just don't want to trust in it.

In 100 years we'll have 100,000 mile OCI but people only go 50,000 miles because 100k miles "seems" too long.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Yes, you can go 10K on an oil change, you could even go 15K if you wanted. HOWEVER, I personally don't believe that engine longevity is priority concerning these longer OCI's. Will your engine go 150K? Probably, but thats all the auto maker cares about...making it LONG ENOUGH till your bored and want a new car. If you are like me, and want to keep your car for 200K or more, I believe that 5K OCI's are a great start.

Here are some valve cover pictures on another forum of a BMW engine with 266k miles following BMW's recommended 15k mi OCIs:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=902863

Not only is the engine not dead, it's super clean inside.

It's not a matter of if the car can take it, it can. It's whether or not you can take it. I was getting a little antsy on my OCI too. I just hit 10,000 miles on this oil change today but I'll have to change it in a week or so because my oil filter wrench is in the mail ordered. I'll survive and so will it.

Keep in mind I see a lot of cars and I see some with longer oil change intervals and neglect and they aren't as clean. It's hard to do when you see tons of filthy engines.
If anyone has any extended drain pictures you should post how long and oil type and a picture I want to see how clean they really are. Because the engines I see that are run on Motorcraft and are run extended drains usually have varnish. And aren't as pretty.
smile.gif

As most know, I have been doing 10K OCIs for 37 years with M1 oils. With todays M1 10K is a snap with plenty of reserve left. I have friends that do 15-20K with M1 and have engines with well over 300K(miles) and their engines still perform very well. By the way, I don't do UOAs!

Originally Posted By: jacky
i never go over 3,000 on any oil or vehicle that includes synthetic

You sound like me when I joined!
wink.gif
Prepare to be slaughtered if you keep posting things like that.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Keep in mind I see a lot of cars and I see some with longer oil change intervals and neglect and they aren't as clean. It's hard to do when you see tons of filthy engines.
If anyone has any extended drain pictures you should post how long and oil type and a picture I want to see how clean they really are. Because the engines I see that are run on Motorcraft and are run extended drains usually have varnish. And aren't as pretty.
smile.gif

This is the Fusion with about 145K. All at 10K OCIs. No sign of any varnish. Sorry for the fuzzes.

Last edited:
I go 12,500 miles on my 2008 Toyota sienna van. I have 196907 miles on it. I change my own oil and I use mobil1 5w-30 ep. I have not noticed any oil consumption between oil changes. I did perform 1 uoa and blackstone labs said that I could go 14,000 miles per the results of the uoa I just figured 12,500 was good enough. I used to use the mobil1 oil filter, but thanks to this forum, I went with fram ultra because of the lower price and the fram is just as good if not better. Thank You, Bill

Originally Posted By: tig1
smile.gif

This is the Fusion with about 145K. All at 10K OCIs. No sign of any varnish. Sorry for the fuzzes.

it looks gorgeous not a speck of imperfection at all. Wonder if other synthetics will keep an engine that clean ?
Any thought on filters for that length of time? Are the Motorcraft filters good enough to do it?

Originally Posted By: tig1
smile.gif

it looks gorgeous not a speck of imperfection at all. Wonder if other synthetics will keep an engine that clean ?
Any thought on filters for that length of time? Are the Motorcraft filters good enough to do it?

I do use MC filters in both Duratech Ford engines at 10K OCIs. After use, both filters appear to be clean(no heavy deposits) and in good condition. The Fusion has a cartridge filer, so it's easy to examine.

I personally would never go 10K miles on a conventional oil. No problem with a quality Synthetic. I'm want to squeeze the most out of my engines so I go 5-6K on Synthetic! My goal is 300K out of both of my modern V8's they are below.
1. 2011 4.6 3v Ford Modular 68K currently.
2. 2014 5.7 HEMI 800K miles currently.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Jiffy lubes have done a good job of scaring people into 3,000 oil changes. I've had cars since the 70's and none of them required an oil change at 3,000 miles according to the owner's manual. I don't know where this "standard" came from.

omg - no wonder i avoid those places like the plague. I plan to continuing doing my own OC's even if I have to fall out of my wheelchair to get under the oil pan!

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
I personally would never go 10K miles on a conventional oil. No problem with a quality Synthetic. I'm want to squeeze the most out of my engines so I go 5-6K on Synthetic! My goal is 300K out of both of my modern V8's they are below.
1. 2011 4.6 2v Ford Modular 68K currently.
2. 2014 5.7 HEMI 800K miles currently.

Here is the underside of my valve cover. 2006 2.2 ecotec.
It's receives an oil change about every 9,000 miles [7,500 - 12,600 ]. I use a mix of %33 store brand conventional and %66 store brand synthetic. Every UOA I've done says it could go longer, I change in the spring and fall because I don't want to change it in the snow during winter.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I'm new to these forums but have already learned a great deal from the posts here. I'll give a brief introduction about myself, and I figured I would ask my question here since it ties in with the 10k oil change topic.

Anyways, I live in Tennessee. So kind of middle of the road in terms of weather. I'm 30 years of age, but have very little knowledge about cars. I recently purchased a 2010 Kia Sportage 4 cylinder with 65000 miles on it. According to the carfax report, the previous owner was diligent with oil changes, usually getting them at the dealership where the car was purchased.

Anyways, this is my daily driver. I don't drive it hard. Maybe a 1000 miles a month with a mix of city/highway driving. The recommended oil change interval is 7500 miles. I've put about 4000 miles on the car since I purchased so it isn't due a change yet but I kind of want to get a fresh start with it. I'm going to go ahead and do a oil change and I think I have settled on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter. I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience running this setup in a car similar to mine? I'm also wondering if with this setup a 10000 mile oci is realistic? Thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited:
im sure the info on carfax is correct, but there could be alot of oil changes and maintence thats not listed on car fax, sounds like you picked a good combination
check your oil often, i personally change my oil every 3,000
dont let people on here talk you into long oci they will not be around to help you repair your damaged motor

Originally Posted By: jbarnes84
Hello everyone. I'm new to these forums but have already learned a great deal from the posts here. I'll give a brief introduction about myself, and I figured I would ask my question here since it ties in with the 10k oil change topic.

Anyways, I live in Tennessee. So kind of middle of the road in terms of weather. I'm 30 years of age, but have very little knowledge about cars. I recently purchased a 2010 Kia Sportage 4 cylinder with 65000 miles on it. According to the carfax report, the previous owner was diligent with oil changes, usually getting them at the dealership where the car was purchased.

Anyways, this is my daily driver. I don't drive it hard. Maybe a 1000 miles a month with a mix of city/highway driving. The recommended oil change interval is 7500 miles. I've put about 4000 miles on the car since I purchased so it isn't due a change yet but I kind of want to get a fresh start with it. I'm going to go ahead and do a oil change and I think I have settled on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter. I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience running this setup in a car similar to mine? I'm also wondering if with this setup a 10000 mile oci is realistic? Thanks for the help everyone.

That is probably one of the best combinations of oil and filter that you can choose.

Check your oil monthly and make sure you're at the proper level.

I would go 7500 myself... but that's up to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back